by Cheesyal
Explorer

Phishing site from a valid email message

Ok, just acquired a new phone. I purchased some vinyl records via Discogs.com and, as you would, checked my messages in my gmail account on my new device.

Clicked on a link to one of the records I was buying in the invoice message and got a pop up phishing page purporting to be a survey from EE. Several other threads about this type of problem going back several years.

OK: valid e-mail from a widely used marketplace; gmail account; connected to my home EE broadband at the time.

So, where is the weak link in the chain? In the meantime I have removed any mail connections from my phone and changed my passwords.

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Phishing site from a valid email message

@Cheesyal  providing you don’t click any such pop up you don’t need to delete anything from any device.  Please read THIS about how you can help stop this.   

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Cheesyal 

Welcome to the year 2000. These pop ups aren't new. It's a small bit of code which tailored the pop up as your ISP . It's not difficult and it's not new. If you want more security then use the Gmail app rather than your native email clients.

Your password for Gmail should be safe (if you had the padlock and HTTPS) you should always have 2 stage authentication active on any email accounts as well.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Cheesyal
Explorer

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, what I saw first was a small pop up with my IP address. Trying to get rid of this by shutting the browser down, I inadvertently tapped it and it took me to a fake EE phishing page asking for information. Easy enough to clear that and I then deleted my browsing history. Didn't enter anything, obviously.

What are the chances of a virus or malware getting on? I'm using iOS 12.2. Should I get the phone re-set and can I do this?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Cheesyal   If this is on a iPhone then you’ll be perfectly safe.   iOS is the most safe operating system on any phone.  Don’t worry about it.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.