by CraigB1 Investigator
Investigator

Is 07772837948 a customer service No.?

Long story short, I was a victim of ID fraud earlier today. One of the frauds was an upgraded EE phone. The fraudster successfully ordered the latest IPhone but I cancelled the order within half hour. I was assured at the time that I had flagged it up quick enough that the order had not been picked and would be cancelled. Happy days.

This evening I've just received a call from the number above claiming to be from EE saying that due to a miscommunication their end the new phone has left the warehouse and is with the courier.

I've had a quick Google search and the number doesn't appear to be an EE customer service one and I'm guessing the fraudster was fishing for delivery times so they could be waiting at my front door to sign for the mobile?

Thanks for any confirmation either way!

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Is 07772837948 a customer service No.?

@CraigB1  EE wouldn’t call you from a mobile phone.    You need to make sure your EE account is protected and you need to know why a phone got ordered from your account.  You need to call customer services and find out how this happened.     I would also inform the police and give them that number. 

by CraigB1 Investigator
Investigator

Ordinarily I would think mobile number equals fake but I had a legit call from EE on 07973100194 earlier in the afternoon so I wasn't 100% on this one.

After ringing customer services this afternoon and getting the upgrade cancelled I was told the fraudster had attempted to use my bank card to pay for something on the account but it had bounced (I had put a block on my cards). That seemingly didn't set alarm bells ringing.

I've changed my password so hopefully all will be ok but my last password was in my head only, not saved, not something I use for anything else and was last divulged by phone to EE when going sim only a couple of months back. How a fraudster could have that info I have no idea.

Cheers for the reply, I'll forward the details on to the police.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

07973 100 xxx numbers are a bit different, they are EE customer service type numbers, they just look like mobile numbers. (it may even just be a smaller subset of that range that EE use for their own use)

It's still possible to fake caller ID, if you're not expecting a call and even if you recognise the caller ID, it's always wise to call back if you get suspicious.

by CraigB1 Investigator
Investigator

Yep. Earlier on this afternoon I had a call from EE customer services (0345...) asking whether I had ordered an IPhone 11 upgrade and whether I would like to cancel. Of course I do, I didn't order it! I was told it had been cancelled and to ignore any confirmation emails / delivery texts as the system is automated and those would be sent out irrespective of me having cancelled. 

Needless to say when I rang the number back it didn't work. Of course had I assumed the call was legit and ignored all EE correspondence as requested there would have been somebody pretending to be me waiting for the delivery to arrive at my front door the next day. 

Infact if I had not had the fake call in the first place I'm not sure I would have checked my emails or noticed what was happening until it was too late!

I just don't know why tonight I get an unmasked call from a mobile number fishing for delivery info.

Credit EE though, once flagged to the chap in customer services he had it sorted in no time for me and I was very impressed with his customer service!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Is the 0345 no. in the How we contact you list but replaced by 0845? List hasn't been updated since OFCOM ruled against 0845 nos for CS.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by CraigB1 Investigator
Investigator

No, definitely a 0345 number. Certainly appeared as a legit EE number but when I call back it's a dead link so the fraudsters have managed to mask the actual number used.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @CraigB1.

Welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear you were a victim of ID fraud.

I'm glad that our Customer Care team managed to help get this all cancelled for you.

If you're ever in doubt of a number claiming to be EE, have a look at our get in touch page. We often use 07973100194 as an outbound number.

Jon

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

I'm not sure which credit agency EE use for searches, (Maybe someone can advise if they've had a recent search and which one it appeared on?). It is worth signing up to the free ones (E.g. Clearscore, Credit karma, MSE) and checking your report. If EE have performed a search, you should be able to get them to remove it. Always a good idea to check your report regularly anyway.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.