Highlighted
by Zbd76
Explorer

I received a text this morning from MyEEUK about my bill - could this be fraud?

I received a message from MyEEUK in 28.3.19 saying they could not process my bill with a link - but according to my account my bill has been paid. Is this fraudulent? How do I notify EE? Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: I received a text this morning from MyEEUK about my bill - could this be fra

@Zbd76 : Most likely. It sounds like a phishing scam trying to get your personal details. Don't click on any links. What is the domain of the link?

Please forward the text to 7726 (letters S.P.A.M. on your keypad) to report it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
20 REPLIES 20
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: I received a text this morning from MyEEUK about my bill - could this be fra

@Zbd76 : Most likely. It sounds like a phishing scam trying to get your personal details. Don't click on any links. What is the domain of the link?

Please forward the text to 7726 (letters S.P.A.M. on your keypad) to report it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Zbd76
Explorer

The domain is: https😕bit.ly/2TEsHB5

Didn’t think that bit looked legit - will send the text on.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, that's the site for giving out itsy-bitsy URLs. EE would never use them.

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂! Glad I could be of assistance.

by
EE Community Support Team

Welcome to the community, @Zbd76.

Thanks for reporting this and for forwarding it to the SPAM line.

Chris

by lauramon

I did this morning from a number 07342831845 

‘EE:We were unable to process your latest bill. In order to avoid fees, update your billing information via: https://ee-update.ref036.com?ee=2’ 

Thought it was strange receiving this text the exact date my bill comes out. Checked online banking and it was fine. 

by
EE Community Team

Hi @lauramon,

Thanks for coming to the community with this information.

I will send it to our team for investigation.

If you receive a message claiming to be from EE and you're not 100% sure its genuine, please send it to phishing@ee.co.uk for email and 7726 for texts.

Alex 🙂

by Jeraldo

I got a text from 07732 145347 with the same message about not processing my bill and to avoid charges go to .... etc.  I was very nearly taken in then checked my bills and online account before the penny dropped.  Watch this one!

by

Morning @Jeraldo 

Thanks for coming to the community.

If you still have the message can you forward this to 7726 so we can get this looked into, and then delete the text.

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.

by xopsx
Explorer

Same here. I just this afternoon received a similar text from the number 07596683128

Text reads - 

EE:We were unable to process your latest bill. In order to avoid fees, update your billing information via: https: //ee .update .ref0115 .com?ee=2

(I have added spaces to avoid posting an active link)

by

Hello @xopsx

Thanks for coming here.

If you still have the text could you, please forward this to 7726 so we can investigate the number and URL.

You can then delete the message.

Thanks.

Leanne.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@xopsx : It's a scam! There are many of these going the rounds. EE would never send you a msg asking you to click on a link in order to update your a/c.

That domain, faked to look like EE, was only created today in Malaysia. 

by xopsx
Explorer

Yes, I wanted to add this case to the evidence pile, so to speak. The more information the better. I have forwarded it as requested to 7726 with the number. Thank you for the info too @XRaySpeX . 

by

Thanks very much @xopsx

We appreciate you coming here and letting us know.,

Leanne 🙂

by Jatastrophe
Visitor

I received it too, number was 07780785861. I reported it as spam on my phone so it deleted the message automatically on google services and HIcare ran a diagnostic on the message in quarantine and flagged it as unsafe anyway.

I almost fell for it as I had issues recently with EE not setting up DD instruction following a phone call.

I think there should be more signposting on your site, like a banner on the front landing page so that all users are aware, or send a text to every EE user telling them to ignore the recent request for details, citing the use of tinyURL as a reason not to trust the text.

by

Hi there @Jatastrophe

Thanks for coming to the community and letting us know.

You can also report any message claiming to be EE by forwarding the message to 7726 before you delete the text.

See our how to avoid fraud and phishing help page for full information.

Thanks.

Leanne.

by MarfySarfy

Received my message last night - number +44 7742 129251 - thought that number looked a bit odd - did make me look at my billing cycle, then clicked into gear (it had been a long day at work ha!) - told friends who are on EE and one friend who works in Carphone.  Have to say I did click on the link just to see - it looks pukka - so could fool some.  Perhaps as was said above, EE could notify on the website that this is a scam?  Emailed screenshot of message to the the EE phishing email and deleted message this morning.  Have a good day all!

by morelax5

I received a text last night saying about being unable to process my bill etc - figured since it's come from a mobile number (07546 431211) and the link doesn't look legit that it's a scam. From reading this thread it sounds like they're targeting a lot of people at the moment!

by

Hi @MarfySarfy,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Thanks for reporting this message to our security team.

You can also report spam and phishing texts by forwarding the message to 7726.

James

by saint_david

I got the same message a couple of hours after entering my details to check my upgrade eligibility on the carphone warehouse website. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions