Highlighted
by scb31 Investigator
Investigator

Fake "EE" SMS Messages

Hi All,

Anyone else been experiencing fake SMS messages purportedly coming from "EE" stating that they have been unable to process recent payment & to avoid suspension of services to update details here - www.updates-id-ee.co.uk? Coincidentally, they seem to come through shortly after the legit message from 150 advising that latest bill is ready.

Oddly enough, clicking the link on my phone brings up a very convincing EE login page (attached) but not when entering the same address in a desktop browser (so have been unable to report as an unsafe site). Playing around with this address a bit though I have discovered the following site www.updates-id-ee.co.uk/content/ which is supposedly a developers site for one Sean Welson. Has his site been hacked or is he the hacker?

The domain appears to have been registered only a couple of days ago by Kyle Hussain but no further contact details & this is most likely false anyway.

Have forwarded message to 7726 but just wanted to make sure more people were aware as this would appear to be a very convincing scam. Beware! 

wp_ss_20180222_0001.png 

21 REPLIES
by Maestro
Maestro

Re: Fake "EE" SMS Messages

@Richard_C. This needs investgating / shutting down please.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @scb31 and @jmitchel,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I've flagged it and our support teams are currently investigating.

James

by Maggers
Explorer

They are at it again.

The text from 150 has the link - HTTPS://bit.ly/2xDKW5l

Resolved link is:

This time its http://fromee-customers.co.uk/ee/Login.php

by

Welcome to the community, @Maggers

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, I've reported this message too.

Thanks again.

Chris

by scb31 Investigator
Investigator

Hi @Christopher_G,

Glad to hear that this has been reported. Is it just some scammers spoofing the EE SMS name/number or something more sinister?

On a slightly different note, where are these messages from @Maggers? I received email notifications to alert me that they had been posted but they do not appear in this thread, in fact your post is numbered 4 after my original one & the two responses by @jmitchel@James_B.

Just intrigued!

Steve

by

I don't know any more information about it I'm afraid, @scb31.

Anything that we see here, we flag to another team to investigate.

Chris

by Kathyc2
Visitor

Hi, I've only just joined the community so not sure if this is the correct way to report this but I've just received this text supposedly from EE.

From EE: we were unable to process your latest bill. To avoid penalties, please update your billing infromation following this link https://bit.ly/2Jbi8GB. 

I know my last bill was processed so therefore it must be a scam. Please would you shut this link down too. Many thanks

by

Hi @Maggers,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Thanks for taking the time to report this.

It looks like this website has already been taken down. Smiley Happy

James

by Maggers
Explorer

Awesome thanks.

Hope they didnt get too many people to put thier login details in before it was taken down.

by

No problem @Maggers 

Thanks again. Smiley Happy

James

by KBlashka

Wanted to flag that I’ve just received what looks like a fake text from EE saying they’ve been unable to process my bill and that I need to update bank details via a link. Looked a little suspect and found this chain so thought worth highlighting

The url in the text is eebills.com

by Maestro
Maestro

@KBlashka forward the SMS to 7726 in order for EE to investigate and shut it down.

by

Hello there @KBlashka

Thank you for coming here and letting us know.

Please follow the guidance below with the text message:

DO NOT click on any of the links within the message

DO NOT reply with any information

DO NOT download any attachments

DO send it to us to investigate – Forward the message to 7726.

DO delete the message

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Thanks, Leanne.

by crazeeclo

I had one like this also, have just forwarded it to the correct number for EE to investigate. However I thought it was legit and opened it earlier on my phone and just now on my pc, put my address in? what should i do??

by
EE Employee

Hi @crazeelclo and welcome to the community.

Did you submit all personal details via the link?

Many thanks,

Lee

by scb31 Investigator
Investigator

Hi @crazeeclo,

If the website was a fake EE logon, similar to the screenshot in my first post, and you entered your email address & password then I would suggest that you urgently logon to the genuine EE site & change your password as you have just given these details to the scammers.

by JayF

There was an issue processing your last bill. To avoid additional fees, please update your billing information via our secure link: https://bit.ly/2R57pNF

Please be aware that this is a scam.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@JayF: Yes, that takes you to idsecure-ee.company, a domain created yesterday & probably gone tomorrow.

Thanks for bringing it to the attention of EE.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by DaisyD2049

I got one today from "MyEE-" stating that my EE account details are incomplete. and my account will be frozen until my information is updated via a secure link, which leads to the following webside:

https://verify-lncomplete.com/Login.php?sslchannel=true&sessionid=Is7oYWfHaL7clE1HdVz4VxWAORK9DSTmk0...

How can I tell if this is a geniune message?

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions