by Tophertron

Attempted phishing scam text

Be aware, all!  I had a text this afternoon from number 07599 404 126, with the following:

"EE:We were unable to process your latest bill. In order to avoid fees, update your billing information via: http://ee-update.ref0170.com/?ee=2"

The link if you click on it is pretty convincing on a mobile device - almost didn't notice the full website name.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: Attempted phishing scam text

Hi @Tophertron, @francis-m and @AndyA11,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I'm sorry to hear you have received these messages.

You can report these phishing texts by forwarding them to 7726.

For more tips please take a look at Spam and phishing - How to stay safe and report it.

Hope this helps.

James

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
by francis-m
Visitor

I've had the same text but different mobile number 07563 212898. Can ee investigate, please?

by AndyA11
Visitor

Watch out for the fake text linking you to a scam account. It’s very real, but they are asking for bank details. BEWARRRRRRRE!!

by
Solution

Hi @Tophertron, @francis-m and @AndyA11,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I'm sorry to hear you have received these messages.

You can report these phishing texts by forwarding them to 7726.

For more tips please take a look at Spam and phishing - How to stay safe and report it.

Hope this helps.

James

View solution in original post

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes,it's a scam! There are many of these going the rounds. EE would never send you a msg asking you to click on a link in order to update your a/c.

Report it to EE by forwarding it to 7726 (S.P.A.M. on your keypad).

That domain, faked to look like EE, was only created yesterday in Malaysia. Browsers are already warning it's deceptive.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by HumansRants
Visitor

Just got the exact same message came on here to check if it was a scam, thanks.

by beadyozgirl Investigator
Investigator

Yeah, I received one today, but knew it looked a bit dodgy - mainly because I'm a PAYG customer and don't have bills!

I took a screenshot then deleted it, sorry If I had known there was a number I could text it to I would have!

Cheers, Amanda

IMG_7215 (2).PNG

by

Good Morning @beadyozgirl

Thanks for coming back to the community and flagging this with us. 

Katie 🙂

by hhwangca

Had the same thing, but the source number was 07934 118224.  Already reported it to 7726 as well as to the phishing@ee.co.uk address.

What is odd or coincidental was that it was sent on the day that the bill should have been paid by direct debit.  So I'm not sure whether their billing data has been compromised.

by

Hi there @hhwangca

Thanks for sending this message to 7726 we will be able to get this looked into,

These messages can be sent at any time to get details, no data has been compromised.

See our how to avoid fraud and phishing help page for full information.

Thanks.

Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.