by M8TJT Investigator
Investigator

EE Perk for service veterans is a joke

EE FORCES MILITARY DISCOUNT

EE are offering some great deals for British Forces, Military Veterans and their families! Whatever mobile phone contract or sim plan you’re looking for they have it all. They have been around for years and offer some great competitive deals for you and your family.

Quote From https://www.forcesdiscountoffers.co.uk/ee-mobile-phones/

Great thinks I, after serving in the RAF for 26 years and being with EE since Freeserve days about time I got something in return (and no, I am not an 'entitled millennium snowflake).

So. How do you register? By providing a copy of your Forces veterans ID card. Ever heard of it? I hadn't. So after a couple of emails to and from EE Perk, I did some serious investigation. If you retired before Dec 17 2018 then forget all about it, as you can only get one of these mythical cards when Phase 2 is 'rolled out'. When that will be, goodness knows.

You can apply if you work for a 'qualifying company' but that makes your Veteran status as irrelevant and if you are fully retired as I am, you are snookered.

EE, for some obscure reason, will not accept the Defence Discount Service card as proof even though you have to prove your service career to get one.

So in short, the Perk is not a Perk if you retired before Dec 2018.

C'mon EE. Sort this out for the tens of thousands of ex service personnel who you are depriving of this Perk because they cannot yet get a Veteran's ID card (yet)

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: EE Perk for service veterans is a joke

Hi @M8TJT 

Great news. 🙂

We've had confirmation that we can now accept the below proofs to get the veteran Perk discount:

• Certificate of service
  • Certificate of discharge (discharge papers)
  • Armed forces pension

This can be done by going to the EE Perk page using your own mobile device browser at clicking on the “Perk Portal “ link which will then take you to the registration page.

Please give it a go and let us know how you get on.

Chris

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
by Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

Hi @M8TJT,

As far as I am aware there was no official (i.e. government issued) way for UK veterans to prove their past service until the veteran ID card came about last year.

This is the only way that EE can legally verify you are a veteran, so the problem doesn't lie with EE, but with the veteran card. As soon as they update their policies (which should be soon according to the website), then you should be able to access perks.

Thanks,

Alex

If I solved your issue, please click the 'solved' button below to help others!
by M8TJT Investigator
Investigator

I had to give the Defence Discount Service (DDS) my service number when I signed up for it.

I can give you my service number now and I can give you my pension details as well. Of course I can prove that I served Queen and Country for 26 years. Just give us a break and allow the DDS even if only temporarily until the Vet's ID card is available.

As the card is not yet generally available then EE should stop shouting about Veteran's discount as there is only a tiny proportion of them who can qualify.

THE PURPOSES OF MY POST WAS TO MAKE THIS PROBLEM CLEAR TO ANY OTHER VETS WHO THINK THAT EE ARE GOING TO GIVE THEM A PERK NOW. THEY ARE NOT, DESPITE WHAT THEY SAY.

by
Solution

Hi @M8TJT 

Great news. 🙂

We've had confirmation that we can now accept the below proofs to get the veteran Perk discount:

• Certificate of service
  • Certificate of discharge (discharge papers)
  • Armed forces pension

This can be done by going to the EE Perk page using your own mobile device browser at clicking on the “Perk Portal “ link which will then take you to the registration page.

Please give it a go and let us know how you get on.

Chris

View solution in original post

by M8TJT Investigator
Investigator

Great news Chris, and thanks. That change now includes thousands of Service Veterans that were previously excluded from the scheme because of not having a Veteran's ID card that you can't actually get (yet).

I uploaded my pension pay advice slip and I was approved PDQ.

The Validate/Register pages need updating to reflect these changes as they still (when I just checked) list only your company ID card for uploading for validation purposes.

TIP: If there is an email address in the 'Company email' field (there was one in mine which was why I couldn't find the 'upload' button) then delete it otherwise you do not get the button that gives you the option to upload a file.

by GC5 Investigator
Investigator

Chris,

I am having a similar issue.  I have tried submitting a letter from the Services Pension Agency which shows that I am receiving a service pension and I have tried sending a photograph copy of my old ID card but both are coming back as being rejected.  What should I do.

thanks in anticipation.

GC

by

Hi @GC5.

Welcome to the community.

Could you try sending a copy of your Certificate Of Service, or your Certificate Of Discharge (discharge papers)?

Jon

by GC5 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Jon,

In line with the post above 
I do have a copy of a letter showing my service pension and a photo of my old ID card.  These were the items that I was uploading and were rejected.  

Thanks in anticipation 

GC5

by

Thanks @GC5.

Your Armed Forces Pension is a valid document that will be accepted.

Are you uploading this to our Perk Portal?

Jon

by M8TJT Investigator
Investigator

I sent a copy of my Pension Payment form from Equinity. That was accepted.

by

Thanks for helping @M8TJT 🙂

by GC5 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks Jon yes I was.

by GC5 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks MBTJT

by

Hi there @GC5

Thanks for coming back to us.

Can you try uploading the document @M8TJT suggested and let us know if this works for you?

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.

by GC5 Investigator
Investigator

Hi thanks for your help - this has now worked.  

GC5

by

Great thanks for letting us know @GC5 🙂

Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.