by ailidheigg Investigator
Investigator

will the new masts on 4G for the emergency services be able to be upgraded to 5G

Will the new EE masts being roled out be able to be upgraded from the 4G  to 5G? and is so whne and how wuold this happen?

16 REPLIES 16
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: will the new masts on 4G for the emergency services be able to be upgraded t

Hi @ailidheigg

Welcome to the EE Community,

@Peter_C might know the answer to this.

Investigator

Re: will the new masts on 4G for the emergency services be able to be upgraded t

Hello thanks

looking forward to a definative answer

Ailidh
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hi, @ailidheigg and @David,

Let's hope we get one from @Peter_C or @Jon_K 😉

mAh8v

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

If you don't get an official answer (I would be surprised if you do) you might find the following interesting...

https://newsroom.ee.co.uk/ee-switches-on-5g-trial-sites-in-east-london/

ewan

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hi, @ewanrw,

Thanks for that great link you provided for us here! 😊👍

mAh8v

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @ailidheigg.

We are always looking to future-proof our technology to make sure it will always provide the best service.

4G is the main base of our network and will remain to be for years to come.

Any updates with 5G will be relayed on the community at the time.

Jon

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hi, @Jon_K,

Great advice as usual! 😊👍

I was told that 4G will be around for some 15 - 20 years, but 5G will need 4G for back-up!

Can you confirm this please!

Regards

mAh8v

by

Thanks @Profile closed 🙂

I'm not sure on the exact timescales, but 4G will definitely be around for a long time!

Jon

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hi, @Jon_K,

Thank you! 😊👍

Look's like 4G will be around for many years to come! That answers my question perfectly!

Thanks!

mAh8v

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Current demo 5G trials in the UK have been Non Standalone, which use 4G as an 'anchor' for the 5G. 

ESN sites, the rural ones in particular, are Nokia. The 5G path on these sites isn't as clear as for Huawei sites found in more urban environments.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hi, @Peter_C,

As long as I can continue enjoying 4G, before jumping on the 5G bandwagon, i'm well happy with thing's like they currently are! 😊

mAh8v

Investigator

The new masts being proposed on the isle of eigg where i live will be brand new and is EE's at present on 4G for emergency services  so these mast can be upgraded to 5G?

by

Hi @ailidheigg,

Sorry, I don't have any information on the 5G rollout plans for your particular area at this time.

As @Jon_K said above, we'll be providing more information about the 5G rollout in the future.

James

Investigator

Thanks for the reply

i am not concerned wth when 5G is roll out but if these new masts CAN be upgraded?

thanks

Ailidh

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Strictly speaking, any mast could be upgraded to 5G. Just varying amounts of complexity in doing so...

Investigator

thank you

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions