by ColinAndNovie Investigator
Investigator

Limited to no signal in new house following house move

We have recently moved house with 60 days notice (serving member of armed forces posted to another base) and now have serious issues with use of me and my wife's phones. Military housing (Amey) call centre sorting maintenance hung up 3 times after stating the line is terrible, i have found i can only make a clear phone call when i go out into my garden.

Data use is ok about half the time with my Samsung S8 if I sit by the window, sometimes it says 4g with 1 bar, sometimes it says E and connects to nothing, my wife has an Iphone X which she essentially uses as a camera these days inside our house, she spends her time out in the garden to use data. I currently have us on 2 smart watches 2 phones, giving ee about 200 quid a month, and have been customer for a long time, now i have limited service in return for the large bills i pay monthly, signal checker says great, my experience says rubbish, anything we can do to sort this out?

9 REPLIES 9
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Re: Limited to no signal in new house following house move

Do you have WiFi in your new home? If so, EE's WiFi calling service is an excellent answer to this: https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/using-your-phone-features/how-do-i-use-...

Assuming you're on Pay-Monthly, the device supports 4G800 & VoLTE so you should already be covered by extra indoor coverage if that's available in your area.

Investigator

I am due to have wifi installed on 1st May, wifi calling is great when out and about, but if i am relying on my wifi to provide my service and i have taken out two expensive tariffs for increased data allowance, are you going to reduce my contract costs to adjust for what my wifi now covers, or are you going to pay my wifi bill that allows you to fulfil your side of the contract to me? 

I have read previous posts and realise in the call centre you have a set list of responses to go through, this is why I am a little blunt, apologies, but I'm paying for a service which now isn't being properly provided.

To the moderator that got in a tizzy because i shared my ee mobile number originally and removed it, anyone can ring it right now, it likely won't go through

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The Mods are only doing their jobs, not in a tizzy. This discussion forum can be seen publically worldwide. You are warned of this in the Community Guidelines.

EE's contract to provide you with a mobile signal is subject to the technology available & the reception at your Military housing, which you admit is not ideal.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ColinAndNovie   EE can not guarantee a signal indoors due to the way buildings are constructed, If you receive a signal outdoors then EE are fulfilling their side of the contract, also when you took out the contract you was not at this residence and EE cannot foresee that you are going to move to a residence that might loose signal indoors. (. But your blaming EE for that )  WiFi calling gets around the poor indoor signal that you are encountering it’s up to you if you want to use this service and your not charged by EE to use this service as it’s free add on to your contract. 

Investigator

Absolutely not blaming EE for it, it's an armed forces move which i had no choice in the matter, (but you would know that if you had read everything) 

my wife is in the house with children most of the time, relies on her data to keep herself sane hence paying over 80/month on her plan alone, so wifi calling great, her data plan is now effectively a waste of money, hence I am extremely frustrated, I now realise I won't get a more constructive response, i will look at cancellations 

PS you're = you are 😘

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Firstly if your wife is paying for a large data bundle, then you're probably right to reduce that if she's going to be using WiFi at home - that's entirely sensible.

Realistically speaking, every mobile network is going to have poor coverage areas somewhere - it's a nature of the beast. And I'm sure you're aware that other providers don't have WiFi calling facilities or they're not as seamless as EE's - some don't support SMS over WiFi for example or need you to be using an extra app. If you were to look at the support forums for some "MVNO" (resale) providers, then they have no facility for poor indoor coverage at all and people in your exact position are basically told to put up with it.

Whether you choose to use the service, or disconnect is ultimately your choice.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @ColinAndNovie

Welcome to the community.

I see that you've been given some brilliant advice here with regard to WiFi calling. Once your broadband is installed you should see an improvement in call quality using this service.

If you'd like to discuss your plan and account further, I recommend getting in touch with our Mobile Care team, who have access to your account and will be able to help you further.

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ColinAndNovie   Ah. I see the internet police are here.  Sorry to say this but the plan that your wife chose at the time you thought was the best one and just because circumstances have changed it’s not EEs fault that this tariff is now costing this amount because you don’t need that data allowance. It’s apart of life that things change and what was once needed and acceptable doesn’t mean it remain that way.   And I’m sure you have the armed forces discount on your EE tariffs.  

Investigator

Thanks Christopher_G for the info and advice, it's what i was hoping for when coming on this forum, i will let you know the outcome.

I have been an Orange, Orange on EE, then EE customer for a decade now as they're pretty good  have ordered my fibre from EE also, and until now I've had no issues, so as i wasn't a new customer i was not considered eligible for military discount as it's new customers only, 

Apologies for the delay in response as I've only got this after going to the top of my garden, but never mind.

For the "it's not ee's fault" chap, a quick click on your name shows all your responses to problems across the community posts and there is a pattern to your responses i would say, all about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

Thanks again to the other chap who private messaged me for my location, I'm aware my options are limited but it is helpful to have someone show some concern and try and point me in the right direction, cheers, if i can make it through to my fibre installation without any further grief from the other half and some help from the mobile team, i will go back to being a happy customer once more

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions