by BurnCK Investigator
Investigator

First day on EE, not impressed

Switched to EE after 10yrs with O2 and starting to regret my decision already.

Previously in my work place I had no issues with signal throughout the building, yet on EE I rarely get 4G, most of the time it shows as H/H+ and has even dropped down to GSM/EDGE for periods of time. I completely lose my phone signal in certain parts of the building too.

7 REPLIES 7
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: First day on EE, not impressed

Yep, EE indoor coverage is often worse than O2 and Vodafone as EE have a limited amount of low frequency spectrum which penetrates buildings much better.

EE use mostly 1800Mhz for 4G whereas O2 and Vodafone mostly use 800Mhz and that 800Mhz signal goes through buildings much better than EE's 1800Mhz signal does.

It's a common issue on EE.

by BurnCK Investigator
Investigator

Wish I'd known that sooner...it's absolutely terrible. Can't remember the last time I saw the GSM symbol on one of my mobiles....

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@BurnCK If you purchased the plan either online or over the phone, you have a 14 day cooling off period where you can cancel and return everything without question.

Even if you purchased in-store (which comes with no cooling off period) you are still well within your rights to cancel with no charges if you are experiencing signal issues.

Details can be found here.

It's always a good idea to test a new mobile network using a PAYG SIM to start with before you commit to a long term contract.

by BurnCK Investigator
Investigator

Think I'll have to do that then. I can't have 2yrs of not being able to use my mobile indoors....

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @BurnCK

Welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear that you're having connection issues at work.

Are you able to get a WiFi connection? If it's just the one building that you're having problems with, WiFi calling might be the fix for you.

It'll be a shame if you decide to leave, but I see @Profile closed has given you some advice around returns.

Chris

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Profile closed wrote:

Yep, EE indoor coverage is often worse than O2 and Vodafone as EE have a limited amount of low frequency spectrum which penetrates buildings much better.

EE use mostly 1800Mhz for 4G whereas O2 and Vodafone mostly use 800Mhz and that 800Mhz signal goes through buildings much better than EE's 1800Mhz signal does.

It's a common issue on EE.

All of which is entirely dependent on where the nearest base station site is, too. If this theory was entirely valid, then even if the nearest VO2 site was several miles away but there was an EE site next door......

And what's to say there's not an EE site next door, which is carrying 4G800 but the OP doesn't have a compatible phone? Unlikely with current phones I admit, but just saying.

I just don't think such broad brush statements like this, are entirely helpful. It does sound likely that the OP is in a poor coverage area, I admit - but WiFi calling could be a solution as others have suggested.

And in the interests of balance, I'll point out that VO2 WiFi calling doesn't support text...unlike EE's. Just saying 😉

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Which device do you have-you might be missing out on EE's 800MHz coverage which is very important for serving in buildings? Could you provide most of a postcode and I'll try find out what the nearest site(s) have.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.