by spotify95 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

EE Network completely unusable at PE365AH, Hunstanton, needs fixing urgently!

Hi,

I've previously reported this before but need to bring this up again as the problem is not getting any better at all.

There is a big problem with the EE Network at Hunstanton, Norfolk - approximate postcode PE365AH. It has been like this since the dawn of the dinosaurs (or at least the dawn of the EE Network) and is not getting any better.

The problem is that the coverage on EE is abysmal to say the least. You have to walk halfway up the hill to get any decent sort of coverage - at the main target service area (TSA - near the pier/green/beach area - i.e. where PE365AH is), the coverage is completely inadequate, with No Service being extremely common.

Outdoors, 3G is very weak (less than 1 bar) and 4G Band 3 is also extremely weak (less than 1 bar). Both routinely drop to No Service.

4G Band 20 is better outdoors (2-3 bars) but is inaccessible for anyone who doesn't have VoLTE. Indoors, this also drops to No Service (i.e. there is no coverage whatsoever the moment you step indoors). A few of the shops have 3G Home Signal devices which shows how bad the problem is.

Furthermore, the capacity of Band 20 is only 5MHz and this shows in the usability of this band. Being the only band that makes it to the service area, the entire town has to make do with a very small bandwidth and this gets completely overloaded. The best result I got was 6Mbps down and 2Mbps up, and this was on a relatively quiet day. A few times, I had completely zero throughput - an issue which is expected to be commonplace throughout the busy summer period.

Looking at the view of the mast (from the direction of the TSA), it is clear to see the problem. Vodafone are on top and EE/3UK are below.

The EE/3 transmitting array does not directly point at the area that needs the most signal; one panel points towards Old Hunstanton, one panel points towards the leisure resort at the other end of the town, and the 3rd panel points directly opposite the TSA towards the fields. Nothing is directly aimed at the TSA, hence why the coverage drops off so rapidly!

Vodafone, on the other hand, have it spot on, with one of the panels pointing straight down the hill at the TSA, and coverage is good (albeit 2G) as a result.

EE need to seriously consider upgrading their network at this area - either by putting in a filler mast on the green area at PE365AH, or by relocating the panel on the mast and putting in a filler mast at Old Hunstanton, to kepp good coverage there whilst also resolving Hunstanton's problem.

6 REPLIES 6
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: EE Network completely unusable at PE365AH, Hunstanton, needs fixing urgently

Welcome back, @spotify95 

Thanks for your detailed post. have you discussed this with our Tech Gurus recently?

They have access to a system to check mast performance and can look into getting this investigated.

Chris​​​​​​​

by ozz Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Re: EE Network completely unusable at PE365AH, Hunstanton, needs fixing urgently

I’ll back up the comment made above about Hunstanton and that the main footfall areas have low signal due to the mast being shielded by a sloping cliff, housing and less than ideal antenna configuration. 

I’m sure the mast is working fine but factors mentioned above aren’t providing adequate coverage. 

Vodafone’s planned 4G coverage looks to cover the area well so maybe a bit of competition from Voda (and O2) may kick EE into action with upgrades in the area.  

by

OK, thanks @ozz.

We've passed both of your comments over to our network team.

Thanks for your feedback.

Chris

Established Contributor

Hello,

Thank you for your reply @Christopher_G, I reported it to the network status checker and they came back to me stating that there was no problem in the area!

Unfortunately there is a (long standing) problem, in that virtually no 3G or 4G makes it down to where the user base is, and 800MHz hasn't got enough capacity by far (and that still struggles indoors).

I'll have to escalate this to the Tech Gurus as suggested because the coverage needs improving quickly.

by

Good Afternoon @spotify95.

Thanks for coming back to us, 

I can see @Christopher_G has reported this to the relevant network team.

Katie 🙂

Established Contributor

@ozz wrote:

I’ll back up the comment made above about Hunstanton and that the main footfall areas have low signal due to the mast being shielded by a sloping cliff, housing and less than ideal antenna configuration. 

I’m sure the mast is working fine but factors mentioned above aren’t providing adequate coverage. 

Vodafone’s planned 4G coverage looks to cover the area well so maybe a bit of competition from Voda (and O2) may kick EE into action with upgrades in the area.  

You're correct, and whilst the cliff does affect the signal a bit, the main problem is the lack of direct radiation towards the main user base. Therefore, the signal is just too weak to do anything with.

About halfway up the hill, towards the main inbound road, the signal starts to recover (as you get closer to where the mast is), but in the main TSA, the signal is just too weak to be usable on 3G/4G, and 800MHz (when it connects) just hasn't got the guts inside it to be able to cope with the load.

Where the main housing area is on the seafront area (further along the cliff) is even worse and there is absolutely nothing there at all.

I think this could be another area where CTIL have an overwhelming advantage, assuming Vodafone get their mast upgraded. EE need to do something there, whether it be a new panel, new mast, reconfiguration etc... in the summer, 5MHz of spectrum just won't work at all.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions