cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Upgrade / 14 day return woes - left in a difficult situation

muranb
Contributor
Contributor

New custoemr to EE so just to set the background, I am a long-standing Orange / T-Mobile customer paying a very reasonable monthly amount for Unlimited TXT, 900 Mins, 50 MMS and unlimited (3g) data on a T-Mobile SIMO deal. 

This is my upgrade (and return) experience - having started to experience network issues with the 3G T-Mobile network.

I Upgraded my contract and took a phone deal at a reasonable price, moving in the process from a T-Mobile to EE SIM. 

Since receiving my new SIM and phone, neither have been used as I have been considering the upgrade / data amount etc and a possible return to revert to my old contract or a similar SIMO offering.

Despite not using, my existing SIM auto activated a few days in (lost signal on existing T-Mob with no warning which caused me some issues). At this point I was unsure whether to use the new SIM / phone, thinking this might commit me to the upgrade so I waited to speak to EE Customer Services the following day. I know now that this is not the case.

Having spoken to Customer Services I now find myself in a difficult situation and I am hoping I can find a solution here.

I was told my SIM was auto activated and my T-Mobile account was terminated as part of the upgrade (I understand that but it would have been good to have some warning so I could prepare).

I have no option to return to my previous plan as T-Mobile is no longer an option, therefore the only options available to me now:

1) Stick as I am and make do with the data allowance, get used to the upgrade etc (paying significantly more than I was).

2) Take a PAC and get another SIMO deal with another network.

3) Return phone and move to PAYG (as a goodwill gesture to keep my number which I have had for around 20 years)!

I discussed the possibility of changing to a SIMO and quoted a great deal currently being offered elsewhere but this isn't an option until the upgrade phone is returned and then there is no guarantee that EE will match the SIMO deal.

Whilst I understand that I am essentially in the first few days of a new contract with EE, what I am struggling to understand is why I can't be given the assurance that although T-Mobile is no longer an option, I will be put on an EE equivalent in terms of cost and allowances when the upgrade is cancelled.

Option 3 above was offered only as a temp solution to allow me to keep my number and then upgrade that to a SIMO deal. I can see the logic, but this means I will be speaking to EE as a new / PAYG customer and I'm doubtful my history and the loyalty discounts I had will be considered when negotiating the SIMO contract.

I honestly wish I had never bothered with the upgrade, a 3G signal that was a little flaky at times was far more preferable to the situation I now find myself in - i.e. worse off than before the upgrade!

Apologies for the long post, if anyone representative from EE can offer any assurances to restore my faith, I am all ears!

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19
muranb
Contributor
Contributor

I am new to EE but just to set the background, I am a long-standing Orange / T-Mobile customer paying a very reasonable monthly amount for Unlimited TXT, 900 Mins, 50 MMS and unlimited (3g) data on a T-Mobile SIMO deal. 

This is my upgrade (and return) experience - having started to experience network issues with the 3G T-Mobile network.

I Upgraded my contract and took a phone deal at a reasonable price, moving in the process from a T-Mobile to EE SIM. 

Since receiving my new SIM and phone, neither have been used as I have been considering the upgrade / data amount etc and a possible return to revert to my old contract or a similar SIMO offering.

Despite not using, my existing SIM auto activated a few days in (lost signal on existing T-Mob with no warning which caused me some issues). At this point I was unsure whether to use the new SIM / phone, thinking this might commit me to the upgrade so I waited to speak to EE Customer Services the following day. I know now that this is not the case.

Having spoken to Customer Services I now find myself in a difficult situation and I am hoping I can find a solution here.

I was told my SIM was auto activated and my T-Mobile account was terminated as part of the upgrade (I understand that but it would have been good to have some warning so I could prepare).

I have no option to return to my previous plan as T-Mobile is no longer an option, therefore the only options available to me now are:

1) Stick as I am and make do with the data allowance, get used to the upgrade etc (paying significantly more than I was).

2) Take a PAC and get another SIMO deal with another network.

3) Return phone and move to PAYG (as a goodwill gesture to keep my number which I have had for around 20 years)!

I discussed the possibility of changing to a SIMO and quoted a great deal currently being offered elsewhere but this isn't an option / can't be discussed until the upgrade phone is returned and then there is no guarantee that EE will match the SIMO deal.

Whilst I understand that I am essentially in the first few days of a new contract with EE, what I am struggling to accept is why I can't be given the assurance that although T-Mobile is no longer an option, I will be put on an EE equivalent in terms of cost and allowances when the upgrade is cancelled.

Option 3 above was offered only as a temporary solution to allow me to keep my number and then upgrade that to a SIMO deal. I can see the logic, but this means I will be speaking to EE as a new / PAYG customer and I'm doubtful my history and the loyalty discounts I had will be considered when negotiating the SIMO offering.

I honestly wish I had never bothered with the upgrade, a 3G signal that was a little flaky at times was far more preferable to the situation I now find myself in - i.e. worse off than before the upgrade!

If anyone representative from EE can offer any assurances to restore my faith, I am all ears!

Thanks

@muranb: Where did you order this upgrade? Only by ordering online or by phone do you get a statutory 14-day cooling-off period.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi @XRaySpeX - fortunately it was ordered over the phone, so the 14 day thing isn't in question.

My issue is what I will return to if I go ahead with the 14 day return - as I can't go back to what I had pre upgrade.

Actually I don't see why you can't go back to T-M. T-M a/c's still exist, you just won't be able to manage them online after 28 Feb:

T-Mobile Account is closing down 

'My T-Mobile' online account closes on 28th of February.You won't be able to access your account online after this date.

Get help with other ways to manage your account .

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

That's interesting ... 

Spoke to 150 / Retentions and Channel Returns (14 day team) and all said I can't go back to T-Mobile.

If that's the case, fine but offer an alternative surely (as discussed during the upgrade process). Even just matching the deal I quoted would be acceptable but not being able to even talk about it until the cancellation goes through and I move to PAYG is just ludicrous!

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @muranb

I am sorry to hear you have had this experience since moving to EE.

Have you spoken to our Tech Care Team to see if there any problems in your area or any improvements coming?

What benefits are you looking for on a pay as you go plan or SIM only plan with us?

Thanks, Leanne.

Hi @Leanne_T

I haven't checked for problems in the area as thay is not the issue or the reason for my wish to cancel the upgrade.

In terms of what I am looking for, just something comparable to what I was contracted on pre upgrade (details in my post).

The issue here is that there is no way to revert back to pre-upgrade status so I'd expect to be able to revert to something comparable at least.

Thanks

@XRaySpeX you can no longer buy a T-Mobile PAYG or PM so this is probably why @muranb can't go back to it. T-Mobile will eventually like Orange filter out.

When you upgrade your old plan terminates it doesn't wait for you to open the sim and insert into a phone.

EE doesn't price match other networks or other third party sites that sell EE plans. If you were unsure wih anything you probably should;ve waited until you were certain with what you wanted.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for coming back to me @muranb

I would like to help you get this looked into and have sent you a private message for some further details.

Thanks, Leanne 🙂