cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof of ID

Dmh62
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Ok so if somebody orders something to be delivered to their home address and they are already EE customers and have been for years and the delivery address is their billing address why do they need proof of identity ?

I get the need to chck ID for new customers and when excisting customers opt to pick up in store but why when your delivering to an address already being used as a billing address do I need to prove I am me ! 

And what exactly is the process if a customer doesnt have any of the forms of ID that EE state are accepted ? Are they then excluded from being customers or if excisting customers upgrading ?

52 REPLIES 52
Dmh62
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Having tried that last year an ending up losing my rag completely with the jobsworth there, I had my work photo ID and a  recently expired passport  and the little hitler refused to give me the upgraded phone it was only when I rang customer services in the shop and told them - very loudly how obstructive their employee was being that he eventually after being told 4 times by customer services too handed over the phone !!

I just want EE to use some common sense Im not saying they should NEVER check ID of course they should but they need to stop the nonsense 

@Profile closed   Unfortunately if the driver asks for photo ID as they should as thats the agreement with EE and no photo ID is provided then the driver has the right not to deliver the item.  It does state that delivers will require photo ID so if you don’t have it why continue with the order. 

Dmh62
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

EE will only accept certain photo ID though I have a work smart card with ID and payslips to prove that's me but that isn't good enough for them the whole situation is ridiculous. Im not saying they should never check ID but there has to be common sense and there isn't .

The probability of someone hacking my EE account to make an order and somehow stop the email confirmation of order and/or change of details coming through to MY email, then breaking into my house to intercept the delivery having somehow convinced EE that I am using a different mobile number than the one they have for me so being there at exactly the right time and of course timing it so its a time I am not there is I think a little bit low !!

Dmh62
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I won't be any more !!

Its not the photo ID that is the issue its the rigid list of ID they accept, if a stranger walks into an EE shop then fair enough but if you are delivering to a registered address then they need to rethink the policy 

Or do you think that if someone doesn't drive and doesn't need a passport they should be barred from owning a new phone etc. ?

Dmh62
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Im sorry you have been the victim of fraud but my point is still valid, if an existing customer orders something to be delivered to their home address then the probability of some criminal idiot being able to hack their ee account and place the order, then somehow change the details on the account without EE notifying the customer so they get the confirmation email then change the registered EE mobile number to some other one so they get the text message, then get the homeowner out of the house at precisely the right time, then break into the house to take delivery is I would suggest is probably infinitely small !

Im not stupid I know that there are people out there who will think nothing of defrauding people but there has to be proportionality in policies and there isn't - or maybe there is but EE dont communicate that sufficiently well 

@Dmh62   Yep never happens HERE and HERE are just 2 that I found in 30 seconds and I know there is more.  Before you saying it’s different to what your on about it’s not as it’s still fraud.  Gaining goods by the means of deception. 

Dmh62
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

As I have already said I am not stupid I know that there are morons out there who think they can take what ever they want my question was why is the ID policy for deliveries to existing customers homes so ridiculous 

As those posts demonstrate when somebody changes their details online they are informed by EE so if somebody changed details n y account and placed an order I would know and be in a position to do something about it 

You are all so focussed on photo ID - that can be counterfeited you know, why not just go the whole hog and demand DNA testing lol 

It isnt small it happens.

Let's say I was a con man.

I got hold of your details but never had ID in your name.

I go ahead and order myself a £1k+ phone in your name. Get it delivered to me. No ID is asked for because as you say you have had a EE account for 12 years.

I then obviously get a free phone you are then stuck with the bill as it's in your name.

Will you expect EE to then just cancel the contract so you dont pay it? No of course not.

They are protecting you and themselves.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Dmh62
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

When did I say it was "small" and when did I say it didn't happen ?

so how exactly is your master fraudster going to 

1. Change the contact details on my EE account WITHOUT EE informing me , using the original details ?

2.Intercept the message with the delivery slot?

3. Get me out of the house at the right time?

4. Break into my house to be there when the delivery driver arrives without any neighbours noticing ( assuming of course you live in an area where people still talk to each other as I do)?

I asked a pertinent question because security is important but insisting on photo ID is not always the most appropriate way

You are asking them to hand over thousands of pounds worth of merchandise without any form of security.

And read your responses you said it not that likely. Well it can happen. It does happen as @Chris_B has pointed out.

I just dont know why you want to put yourself at risk of being out of money. Because it ain't good especially when you dont have it to lose.

I honestly felt like jumping off a cliff yesterday.

ID is the best way to make sure it was you that ordered that phone. 

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below