cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof of ID

Dmh62
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Ok so if somebody orders something to be delivered to their home address and they are already EE customers and have been for years and the delivery address is their billing address why do they need proof of identity ?

I get the need to chck ID for new customers and when excisting customers opt to pick up in store but why when your delivering to an address already being used as a billing address do I need to prove I am me ! 

And what exactly is the process if a customer doesnt have any of the forms of ID that EE state are accepted ? Are they then excluded from being customers or if excisting customers upgrading ?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @Dmh62

I understand this may be frustrating, however this is a policy and agreement with ourselves and DPD to ensure the protection of customers. 

If you do not have a passport or a driving license and have something delivered, DPD can accept photo ID from someone with the same last name and be at the address in which the parcel is being delivered to sign for the item. 

Thanks, 

Katie 🙂

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Dmh62 

Fraud prevention. 

You might live in an HMO, or just rent the address out or...one of various other reasons. 

You need photo ID.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
Dmh62
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

As I said I get that ID needs to be checked in some circumstances, BUT what if an existing customer doesn't have a passport and doesn't drive are EE saying that they can't ever upgrade ?? (They dont accept any photo ID )

And what if you don't live in a HMO what if you live in a nice little semi detached all on your tod ? Why do you need to prove you are who you are then ?

I just think that there needs to be common sense in policies and to me this particular one smacks of "jobsworth". If an existing customer receives an order conformation a dispatch note and a text message - after all EE should know that the mobile number is the right one they send the bills out lol

Dmh62
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

and why would you have an address that you rented out as your billing address ? surely you would have the address you lived at 

Profile closed
Not applicable

Hi, @Dmh62 and @Northerner I, for one, don't drive and dont have a passport. Others are like me in this respect, too. We can't be refused phones just because our country has the idiocy to not have an identity card system. 

Hence, the crazy situation of such as I providing Community Charge Statement, Paper Utility Bills and Employment Payslips / State Benefit Papers to a delivery person then exists... The EE Store would accept this - it has done so before and I'd demand that it did.  But the delivery person to my home might not. The delivery company might then be obliged to return the phone to EE. That contract would them eventually be cancelled.

Hence, such as I have to realistically buy a phone from EE in-store so as not to risk not getting it handed to us by a home delivery person. Or, as I do, do the EE upgrade online and have my phone delivered to an EE Store.

Our other option is to buy an unlocked phone from such as Amazon or EBay, etc, or from any shop. 

@Dmh62 

It's EE policy. Your address by be used by criminals who intercepted parcels which are delivered. You would soon complain if you are chased for a device you didn't receive.

Some handsets cost over £1k so it's only sensible to see ID from the person who is receiving the delivery. It's common sense, as it protects both you and EE.

As for ID, you would have needed this to take out the contract, so what did you use. 

As for the address, it's common for people to use there rental, and have the post redirected to their current address, say if they once lived at that address.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
Dmh62
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

So say you used a passport when you took out the initial contract 12 years ago  that has now expired and you don't need to renew it ? 

Ive never know anyone use a rental house address and then get post redirected to where they actually live - do people really do that ? how bizarre.

How exactly would criminals "intercept" deliveries unless they break in the house ?

Why not send a confirmation text to the registered EE number which you then had to show - when deliveries are made to your own address.

I just think that there is a complete lack of common sense in a rigid policy of ID checking, Im not saying ID should never be checked just that EE (and other companies) need to bring some common sense into the process

Profile closed
Not applicable

@Dmh62 you are writing far too much sense. Policy doesn't move along with such sense because reviews of policy are rare. And you need the right person to hear you. And that just so rarely happens. 

Anyway, you can go to an EE Store to collect your phone without photo I.D. as I did. You just have to convince them there and then that you have sufficient alternative non photographic evidence to prove that you are you. See my previous post on this thread.

@Dmh62   Without photo ID ( something official) prove who you say you are.   Anyone can show something with your name on it it doesn’t mean that it’s actually you.   Plus that’s what EE have agreed with DPD and DPD don’t know if your a new or an existing customer. 

I have just been a victim of fraud only yesterday. Although not through EE.

Believe me you never think itll happen to you until it happens.

So why do you want EE not to cover YOU and them to stop fraud from happening.

Believe me you don't want that stress.

I'm out of almost 700 and I may not get it back.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below