by jackieg1975

playmaniax unauthorised subscription

Hi, any idea how I can contact EE Fraud?
I've received a text from a company called playmaniax thanking me for subscribing and stating they will charge my mobile account £2.99 per week. I have not subscribed to anything and do not authorise this. Please refuse payment as this is blatant theft.
29 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: playmaniax unauthorised subscription

You have more than lightly subscribed to this when you have been browsing the web on your device.  You have clicked a link that did this.    

You you will need to send the command word to stop the service.  It's usually STOP and you need to send it to the return number.    You can not ask EE not to bill you for this because you have to stop the service. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

These will be reversed-charged texts from Premium Rate nos. you may have inadvertently subscribed to via Web or TV. EE are not obliged to refund you but you may complain to the Premium rate regulator PhonepayPlus or the firm itself. You can check out those nos. yourself on that site.

You could try texting STOP to the number, but it may cost and may not work.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by frogonwheels

Do EE have an arrangement with Playmaniax to charge subscriptions fee through there billing system, or can literally anyone charge any ee customer for 'subscribed services'?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If EE are billed by them against your number than that bill is passed on to you.
by Playmaniax
Visitor

Hello! 

Playmaniax is a mobile subscription service.

Users of Playmaniax get access to HTML5 game portal at a weekly cost of 2.99 GBP per week.

You can check our support site for more information: http://playmaniax.com/uk/

If you are subscribed to PlayManiax, you can access the service here: http://p.playmaniax.com/uk .

How do I unsubscribe or get help?

If you wish to cancel your subscription to PlayManiax at any time, simply text STOP MANIAX to 80206 (text messages sent to this number are charged at the standard network rate, and do not come out of any inclusive bundle you may have).

Alternatively, you can contact us directly to cancel your subscription and we will also be able to help you with any enquiries.

Call us on 0800 1512 392 (calls are charged at standard network rate providing you have no inclusive minutes remaining).

Alternatively you can email us on uk@playmaniax.com and customer care team will contact you within 2 working days.

Many thanks, 

PlayManiax Customer Care

by adkuma

I was also added to this without my knowledge, surely this is illegal?

Any idea of where they hide the links?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You probably clicked a link when surfing the net this then subscribe you to the service. Call EE customer services and ask them to block this.
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @adkuma

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

Please see the advice from playmaniax for advice on how to resolve this.

All the information you need is there and good luck.

Thank you

Smiley Happy

by saramonkey
Visitor

Same thing happened to me. I was billed three times at £2.99 and it showed up on EE bill. When I phoned EE and told them I had not subscribed nor had I clicked on any link; they said I must have...I did not. I am not happy about a third party Playmania billing me when I am unaware of it and EE not cancelling the bill,instead making me cancel.

I was sent a code to go to Post Office and show them the code and they would refund me the money. It took two trips to PO and that was all too time-consuming for something that was clearly not my fault. Also Playmania texted and said in order to cancel I had to text them with a number but DID NOT disclose how much i would get charged for that text. 

Another thing: this company kept calling me but because I didn't know who they were I saved their number as Arsehole 1, Arsehole 2 etc. Turns out they were unsolicited, never left a message and never told me who they were. That to me is blatant SPAM.

What is going on here EE? Are you in any way connected with this Company? Why are you making me do all the legwork in getting my money back?

It all stinks.

Answers......Waiting.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You can click a link just by using the internet on your device this then can subscribe you to that service. You can do this without even realising that you have clicked the link. It's called "click bait" EE are only passing the bill on to you because they have received a bill against your number EE are not actually the ones billing you.
by juanman1963
Visitor

I have also been charged by playmaiax, a weekly subcription of £2.99. I have no knowledge of subscibing and think its disgusting that, in this day and age,  a company can blatently swindle cash from unsuspecting victims.  I called EE and spoke to  Chris Franklin at Darlington Customer Services, he was very understanding  of the situation and resolved it quickly, in a polite and helpful manner.  My first advice is to call EE Customer services and OPT-OUT of the premium rate charges.. They will also stop any on-going Premium Rate services on your account. 

Chris dealt with my problem in a friendly professional manner and is a credit to EE, but, in my opinion EE (and all other companies) should change the option to OPT-OUT of Premium Rate swindle charges, to OPT-IN. Calls from irate victims must take up so much customer service man hours.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@juanman1963  The only problem with it being opt out already set is that if someone wants the service they will not be able to subscribe the service.    The problem is the internet is full of click bait that you can click on when browsing the web on your device.   

by ursine
Explorer

Playmaniax took six unauthorised payments of £3.75 per week. I never looked at their web site, subscribed or provided them my details and phone number. It only happened after my Samsung phone was hijaked by some virus like pop-up screen from Playmaniax. The pop-up freezed up my phone and then I got their text saying that they will charge me weekly payment of £4.50. I had to do a re-set of my phone to get ride of the Playmaiax pop-up. I ignored the text message about the charge thinking if I replied to cancel, my phone will be infected with more virus.

Then one month later, they sent me another text saying they will charge me £4.50. I contacted EE and they blocked the charge but I cannot recover the unauthorised payments. I contacted Playmaniax through their online form and they didn't reply. I was advised by EE to contact Phone Paid Services Authority for help.

When Phone Paid Services Authority contacted Playmaniax. Playmaniax simply lied to the investigator  and denied any record of any subscription by me even I got records of their six charges of £3.75 on my EE account and their text messages.

How is possible these criminals are allowed to steal openly behind people's backs? Clearly they exploit a loophole in the system and rob people in broad daylight.

by ursine
Explorer

it is absolutely disgusting how EE turning a blind eye to the unauthroised charges by Playmaniax and give me the slippery shoulders when I questioned the protection for the customers. They said Playmaniax is a legitimate.

Playmaniax is not a legitimate biusiness becuase I called their phone number and all I got is an automated message. When I sent them a message, they never answered.

It is stupid that EE don't show the names of the third party companies like Playmaniax charges in the itemized phone bills which means that these companies can claim they haven't charged you!!!! Playmaniax told Phone-paid Service Authority that they never charged me because the EE bills do not show their names.

However I have proof of the texts sent by Playmaniax.

I am thinking of leaving EE because I am so disgusted by zero protection  from EE in dealing with unauthroised charges .

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ursine  It's the same on other networks and you did authorise it although but you might of done it by mistake  and without even realising that you have done it as all you need to do is click a link when browsing the Internet on your device or even using apps like Facebook.

by deanh1967

I've also been "had" by these people

Strange thing is i had a text from them on 14th May but only noticed it today stating i was being charged £4.50 a week until i unsubscribed. I had to text them but have no idea how much that text is gonna cost me. If EE decide its not their problem it may be worth contacting OFCOM for some assistance

by ukdazza

That is ballsy! Replying to the forums about your completely borderline illegal subscription services. Never heard of you. Never play games on my phone. Not aware of clicking any links to your site or services. Just noticed 3x charges on my account!! Had subscription services blocked and since you've tried to take a further 4x charges (of higher value I might add!). Disgusting. Shouldn't be allowed. Will be escalating to PhonePayPlus you scamming sods.

by rupe1

What a scam, not just Playmaniax but EE as well. You pay a premium for getting a contract direct with them for their customer service but so unhelpful. I just noticed that I had been charged £2.99 a week since April 2016 for this Playmaniax. There is no doubt in my mind that I did not subscribe to this and the texts they were sending me I just thought were spam so ignored them. Only now did I realise this £10 per month for "Digital Charges" was for this company and not what I thought they were for (I thought the charges were for EE services). Why cant EE provide proper billing to show the company name that is charging you ! 

So I contacted Playmaniax and demanded a refund of the £150 they have charged me, they have offered £32. I am furious as I did not subscribe, EE did not show anything on their billing for me to notice that it was a 3rd party. 

The EE call centre have been very unhelpful, telling me to contact PS sauthority, who in turn tell me to contact EE who they say will help. Have been an EE/Orange customer for almost 15 years and looks like that is coming to an end. Funny how EE call you all the time telling you that they value loyal customers when they are trying to sell you  something (for the last time I dont need another tablet ) but when there are issues they wash their hands. 

Anyone else find it funny that Playmaniax only are mentioned on EE forums and not Vodafone or O2 ? I dont like making assumptions but how come other networks are not affected by this individual company ? and based on the age of the first thread why havent EE done anything about it. 

Rant over. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@rupe1 Did you actually look at the breakdown of your bill ? And EE is not responsible for any subscription services that you join up with be it on purpose or accidentally. 

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.