Make your house a smart home - with help from EE
by samacan
Explorer

Why does EE not warn about LVFOOD scam

Hi There,

I have just have really good service from an EE advisor saving me from continuing to be a fool, but why EE does not block this spamming company I do not know!

I have been reviewing my bills as they have been a lot higher than agreed at the beginning of my contract and was thinking of changing to another provider, when I was advised I was being charged £2.99 week for a LVFOOD text service. I have never deliberately signed up for,or used their service. The advisor helped me put a block on my account and told me what action I needed to take to stop the scam.

Unlike other charges, this was not registered as a third party fee and was detailed on my bill as an Extra EE Charge. 

LVFOOD

They sent a text alerting me to the charges. I assumed, having not signed up to the service, that they were spam/phishing texts so did not click on any link nor ring/text any number. This is classed as agreement buy negitive action,not very ethical.

What they do, and what they are allowed to do by EE, is deliberately fraudlent and designed to extract money from people unwittingly. I shall also be complaining to Ofcom and ASA. But the phone companies could stop this dead, they are all aware of this scam but do not alert you if it appears on your account.

COME ON EE. STOP IT ONCE AND FOR ALL.

What say you EE?

Look on the net to see how many people have fallen victim to the scam and for goodness sake check you accounts for what you are paying.

Samacan

17 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Why does EE not warn about LVFOOD scam

@samacan  EE is not responsible for your subscription charges or any subscription accounts that you set up with third parties.  EE doesn’t know if you want this service or not,  it’s your account that you should be looking at to make sure that it’s all in order.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @samacan

Thanks for posting in community Smiley Happy

Because these premium rate services are not provided by EE, you will need to contact the company responsible for the service directly if you have any queries, including any questions about billing or charges.

Should you wish to make a formal complaint about a premium rate service provided by a company other than EE, please contact the Phone-paid Services Authority who regulate premium rate services on behalf of Ofcom.

Please see our charges from other companies on your bill help and support pages for further information.

Thanks

Richard

Smiley Happy

by moog Established Contributor
Established Contributor

EE reps - can you confirm for the record and for this customer what kind of service LVFood is;

1) Payforit service

2) Voice PRS

3) SMS PRS

4) Own Service Portal Service:  previsutly billed as Other EE sevice.

If your aswer is not 1,2 or 3 then the only other option is 4 and EE is repsonsibility accoding to OFCOM. 

The reason this seems to be happening is because EE are allowing 3rd party content providers to use unsecured payment transactions against their backend via a partnership agreement.

The company in question here is PMConnect and their payment page does not work with HTTPS and it must to be safe to use. Hackers can therefore use the process with ease to sign people up without concent so they can get affilaite commision at £1.50 a customer.

Here is their insecure URL that nowone should be using.

http://food.mpay.uk/identity

and this what it should be but won't work since HTTPS is not supported by PMConnect services.

https://food.mpay.uk/identity

There is legitamate isssue of security here and it is very likely that your mobile devie id has been farmed and used by hackers for profit.

EE won't do  a thing though as as far as they are concerned it's your fault bedcuase to them you are scum.

by

Hi @moog

PM Connect, who provide Bounce Mobi Games, are regulated by the Phone-paid Services Authority (formerly known as PhonepayPlus).

PSA is the agent designated by Ofcom to regulate premium rate services on behalf of Ofcom. It does so through its Code of Practice which provides the regulatory framework for premium rate services.

The Payforit scheme is a consumer purchase experience designed to deliver a consistent payment flow/experience. PM Connect do not use the PayForIt mechanism but they are still answerable to the regulator, PSA.

In relation to your query about the security of PM Connect’s platform: have you contacted them directly?

Thanks

Richard

Established Contributor

Yes I've contacted them directly now I've finally found out wha this going on here. I'm hoping to god they will act with more haste and repsonsibility than EE has. This has beengoing on for ober 3 years. A payment process that is not secure is a very serious issue.

Regarding the information in your reply :

PhonePayPLus do not regulate the service provided by PMConnect as outlined in their Terms & conditions since they operate Mobile Portal Services that fall under the jurisdiction of OFCOM and the Networks. You have verified that this is an Own Portal Service stating that PMConnect do not use the secure PayForIt scheme for their direct click transactions.

This is clearly outlined in the 2012 Ofcomreview of premium rate services

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/46513/statement.pdf

section 4.1 onwards

Here are the terms for LVFood - that conrm the status of Mobile Protal Service and regulation by Ofcom.

http://foodukp.mpay.uk/tac

extract:

--------------

26. Our details

26.1 This website is owned and operated by PM Connect Limited

26.2 We are registered in England and Wales under company number 07347102

26.3 Our principal place of business is at Basepoint Business Centre, Isidore Road, Bromsgrove Technology Park, B60 3ET. Our VAT number is 995 8434 53.

26.4 You can contact us by writing to the business address given above, by using our website contact form, by email to help@bounce.mobi or by telephone on 0333 212 4617.

26.5 Insofar as the recipe club involve the use of Mobile portal services the manner in which that use is carried on is subject to the relevant regulations set out by OFCOM.

----------------

Established Contributor

Look EE guys, many of you know me becuase I've been like a dog with a bone for long time now. But seroiously now .. I'm just trying to point out there is a very big problem here with one of EE content partners using and insecure payment process via your self regulated Own Service Portal.

Please just ask yourself why so many customers are complaining specifically about  PMConnect services.? .

As an Own Portal Service, EE are responsible for your partner.

Established Contributor

Just to be fair and thorough I've been to the relevent PSA page

https://psauthority.org.uk/for-consumers/what-are-phone-paid-services/operator-billing

For direct to bill payments there are only 3 possibilities :

• PayForIt -- nope
  • Google - nope
  • or your telephone network provider - yep as is a Mobile Portal Service.

notice there is no information link.. that is becuse PHA have no jurisdiction and that decision was the  ain focus of the Ofcom 2012 PRS review.

by

Hi @moog

Just to confirm, PM Connect are regulated by the Phone-paid Services Authority (PSA, formerly known as PhonepayPlus). PSA is the agent designated by Ofcom to regulate premium rate services on behalf of Ofcom. 

Thanks

Richard

Established Contributor

As previously stated: Ofcom clearly outlines that PSA do not regulate PMConnect as they are an Own Portal Service and not an striclty an external 3rd party rather a partner of the MNO enjoying special priviledges and system access.

If you read the OfCom review you would not be repeating false information.

Please take time to read the information provided.. it is very clear.

If I'm wrong then please use the approariate section of the docuement to outline my error. To simpy say "ignore him,, this is the truth" is not good enough. I'm actually presenting the legislation.. what do you have ?.. an ivory tower maybe!

If I'm wrong then why are PMConnect not using PayForIt since it is the only non-network, non-Google means of billing direct according to PSA.... answer that one.

PayforIt is the industry standard 3rd party direct to bill payment system and it's fairly honest fair and secure. What PMConnect are doing is a disgrace and it's allowed at the discretion of the mobile network operators.

Established Contributor

So just to confirm Richard_C that you have washed your hands of this issue once again after using unfounded and false information to push responsibility away from EE when the written Ofcom rules  state otherwise.

I challenge you to back up your statement with some online reference as compelling as what I've presented.

I say EE is responsible according to this:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/46513/statement.pdf

You say EE is not responsible according to what exactly.. your script?

Established Contributor

Just one more thing:

I've just tried submit a request to PSA and it's not possible since there is no shortcode for PMConnect transactions  ... why is that I wonder .. becuase the transactions are internal that's why?

Established Contributor

This is not the fault of the customer so stop blaming us.... just stop it!

The reason why this forum is full of complaints about the following PMConnect services is that their payment pages are not secure and are being hacked:

These are the services offered exclusively against EE customers and presumably the ads that push to these pages are paid for and targetted accordingly... only EE customer are victims.

Here is the bounce games payment page:

bounce.pngUnsecure non-HTTPS page

This page is non secured by HTTPS and so is wide open for hackers.

Notice the text "Charges added to this EE mobile bill".  This text is hard coded regardless of what type of connction or device is used... so the page has been designed to be used against EE customers to make payments against  EE accounts... this alone is very worrying.. why only EE.. Why are they not using PayforIt?

EE have for over two years denied  having an agreement with this company despite the fact that these service are designated in the PMConnect LTd terms and conditions as Mobile Portal Services" that according to Ofcom can only exist as a  relationship bewteen 3rd party and Network. All the other direct to bill service must use the heavily regulated( via PSA) PayforIt scheme.

Now there are two possiblities here:

1. EE are complicit and are using every trick in the book to deflect this issue.
  2. EE are not complicit and are simply not addressing a very serious issue by sheer negligence and bullheadiness on the part of it's staff.. not our problem.

Regardless of the reason It is clear that EE accounts are being targetted by Malpractice of come sort against this companies insecure payment pages. EE can only be negligent if they do not at least invesigate and protect their customers.

Established Contributor

The reason why this forum is full of complaints about the following PMConnect services is that their payment pages are not secure and are being hacked:

These are the services offered exclusively against EE customers and presumably the ads that push to these pages are paid for and targetted accordingly... only EE customer are victims.

bounce.png

This page is non secured by HTTPS and so is wide open for hackers.

Notice the text "Charges added to this EE mobile bill".  This text is hard coded regardless of what type of connction or device is used... so the page has been designed to be used against EE customers to make payments against  EE accounts... this alone is very worrying.. why only EE.. Why are they not using PayforIt?

EE have for over two years denied  having an agreement with this company despite the fact that these service are designated in the PMConnect LTd terms and conditions as Mobile Portal Services" that according to Ofcom can only exist as a  relationship bewteen 3rd party and Network. All the other direct to bill service must use the heavily regulated( via PSA) PayforIt scheme.

Now there are two possiblities here:

1. EE are complicit and are using every trick in the book to deflect this issue.
  2. EE are not complicit and are simply not addressing a very serious issue by sheer negligence and bullheadiness on the part of it's staff.. not our problem.

Regardless of the reason It is clear that EE accounts are being targetted by Malpractice of come sort against this companies insecure payment pages. EE can only be negligent if they do not at least invesigate and protect their customers.

Established Contributor

These are the services offered exclusively against EE customers and presumably the ads that push to these pages are paid for and targetted accordingly... only EE customer are victims.

Unsecure non-HTTPS pageUnsecure non-HTTPS page

This page is non secured by HTTPS and so is wide open for hackers.

Now there are two possiblities here:

by CJR2
Explorer

I only just realised LV Food took a total of £291 from me. They initially offered me £30 but one more email to them got me a full refund.  Make sure you pursue them. 

by LestaGunner
Explorer

Hi there, I too have been a victim of the lvfood scam, they have been charging me £3.00 a week since August last year. Could you please tell me the email address of who I need to contact to demand a refund?

Many thanks

LestaGunner

by samacan
Explorer

Subscription charges for LVFood are applied to your mobile phone account by your mobile network provider’s billing system. If you’re a prepay user, charges will be deducted from your mobile credit balance. If you’re on a postpay plan, charges will appear on your monthly bill You get your first 24 hours access for free, and as indicated on all communications, you can easily opt-out anytime by simply texting STOP BMFOOD to 60762. You can also contact us at any time to discuss your subscription on 0330 122 4968.
Subscription charges for LVFood are applied to your mobile phone account by your mobile network provider’s billing system. If you’re a prepay user, charges will be deducted from your mobile credit balance. If you’re on a postpay plan, charges will appear on your monthly bill You get your first 24 hours access for free, and as indicated on all communications, you can easily opt-out anytime by simply texting STOP BMFOOD to 60762. You can also contact us at any time to discuss your subscription on 0330 122 4968.

regards,Sam
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.