Highlighted
by fabs81 Investigator
Investigator

PAC and Notice Period Charge

Hi all.

My 12-months contract expires on 6th Jan 2018 and I want to switch to another provider and port my number.

As I understand it, I need to give a 30-days notice before my contract expiry, that would be on 7th Dec 2017. At the same time as I give notice I would request a PAC number.

However and here's the catch, the notice will only start when the PAC number is used by the new provider.

So, let's look at two options.

1) I could give notice and request a PAC number on 7th Dec, then immediately switch to a new provider. In that case the notice period would apply from, say, a couple of days after my request when the provider completed the switch. However EE would charge the last month until Jan 2018 which I would have not used. Result: I lose one month fee.

2) I could give notice and request a PAC number on 7th Dec, BUT use the PAC number on 5th January. Because of the rules, the 30-days notice will start when I port my number, so I will still end up paying an extra month fee until February, even though I gave notice as early as December.

In short, is looks like a scam.

Does anyone know how to cleanly conclude a contract and transfer a number over to another provider, without losing a month's fee in the process?

I am happy to give a month's notice to EE but it would be fair they start the notice at that time and not when I use the PAC. If they start the notice when the PAC is used, they effectively charge me one extra month for no service!!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Maestro
Maestro
Solution

Re: PAC and Notice Period Charge

Ignore that, as there's nothing EE can do once you use a PAC.

You have fulfilled your contract term - that is the main criteria they look at.  They cannot legally charge you an early termination fee once you reach or exceed your contract end date.

All that in the terms and conditions also refers to termination not transferring as well.  You arn't technically terminating your service, you are just transferring it to another provider when using a PAC.

In all the years I've had pay monthly mobile plans, I've never given 30 days notice when using a PAC to change networks and I've always done it this way.

5 REPLIES
by Maestro
Maestro

The easiest way to do it is ask for a PAC on 6th Jan and then just use the same day ignoring the 30 days notice thing.

There's nothing EE can do or charge you extra for as you have fulfilled you contract with them and once you use the PAC, your EE account automatically closes.

by fabs81 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for your reply.

I thought about doing what you said, but according to EE Terms and Conditions:

8.1.2 You can terminate this Agreement without having to pay Us a Cancellation Charge after the Minimum Term has ended. You will have to pay Your Charges for Services during the 30 day notice period.

-and-

8.3 You will be responsible for all Charges up to and including the date that this Agreement terminates. If the Agreement terminates before the expiry of the 30 day notice period, You’ll have to pay a Charge, as described in Our Non-Standard Price Guide. If Your Price Plan Service or the Agreement is terminated, the Additional Commitment Service will automatically terminate.

So, if I give notice and request the PAC and port on the day my contract expires, I am still liable to pay one month's service as this is effectively their notice.

I think I have been in that situation in the past, cancelling a contract after the minimum term doesn't free me of the notice period requirement.

by Maestro
Maestro
Solution

Ignore that, as there's nothing EE can do once you use a PAC.

You have fulfilled your contract term - that is the main criteria they look at.  They cannot legally charge you an early termination fee once you reach or exceed your contract end date.

All that in the terms and conditions also refers to termination not transferring as well.  You arn't technically terminating your service, you are just transferring it to another provider when using a PAC.

In all the years I've had pay monthly mobile plans, I've never given 30 days notice when using a PAC to change networks and I've always done it this way.

by fabs81 Investigator
Investigator

It's good to hear you managed to do it without being charged the 30-days notice, you might have been lucky, but I am pretty sure I was charged in the past and it was EE. I wish I am wrong but that has been my experience.

Also, I am not a lawyer but from EE's point of view, cancellation is indeed termination of services as far as they are concerned.

The problem is that they request one month's notice, but don't allow you to use services within that month because of the trick of applying the notice on the day the PAC number is used for porting. I read in other forums that one way out is by switching to PAYG and then giving notice, but it's a complicated business and probably end up forfeiting one month's fee anyway by the time it's all done.

The fundamental problem is that all mobile providers, not just EE, seem to indirectly forcing customers to pay an extra month's fee in any pay monthly contract by means of dodgy legal language and rules. I have never avoided being stung one way or another when switching provider, no matter how hard I tried. The whole business would benefit from a more transparent approach and if that means charging people a couple quid extra during the 12 months, so be it, rather than getting everyone upset in the end.

Anyway, I am still uncertain on what to do.

If I gamble and they do charge the notice period charge, that would be twice as expensive for me once the contract is expired as so will be my discount (another dodgy tactics they use - signing you into an expensive contract and taking 50% off during the contract's length). So I might bite the bullet and forfeit my last month's fee, but seriously considering to just stay PAYG after this.

by Roobarb1978
Visitor

30 days before you are to end your contract, dial 150 and ask to be put onto Pay As You Go. When your contract ends you can then ask for a PAC without losing your number or paying a further monthly fee.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.