by rudo Investigator
Investigator

Mobitran aka Mobile Academy Subscription on Bill

I think it’s unfair that EE is the only mobile company that is allowing its customers to be scammed by Mobitran.  Then expect the customer to fight them, yet the bill it clearly states it’s an EE App Store purchase.  I have not seen anyone on the community that recalls how they may have signed up to it. There are no pop ups on my phone. I do not surf the net, you have record of my internet browsing on my phone.  So how on earth do I sign up to something I am not aware of?  Would it not make sense for EE to block them?

14 REPLIES
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Mobitran aka Mobile Academy Subscription on Bill

Hi @rudo, very sorry you have had this problem.

Customers do like to use these services and blocking them would not be beneficial.

To check third party services please click here and contact the company if you believe these have not been requested.

Thanks.

by rudo Investigator
Investigator

Considering the number of complaints, I suggest you revisit this.  Anyway, I contacted them and we have had numeours back and forth communication. 

So Mobitrans claimed that I had subscribed to their services on 23 April.  I asked them what time I had done so since I had been airborne and on a long haul flight with no access to data.  They could not give me the exact time of this.

I provided proof of screen shots of my web browsing history on Chrome and Safari for the period 20 April to 25 April.  I asked them to provide the landing page which would have enabled me to sign up, or if it was through a 3rd party website then for them to tell me the website. They claimed I signed up on 23 April and yet their first text to me was on 30 April and I provided proof of the text chain from Mobitrans.  They ignored my questions and kept sending me generic answers. Since then, I have got an email stating they are looking to see if they can refund me.

EE has not been supportive or protective of their customer.  As an FOI request, I would like to know how many customers have genuinely subscribed to Mobitrans from EE in comparison to the fraudulent subscriptions?

by simonpunch1
Explorer

This is clearly a scam, my wife and I have also been charged by Mobitran and when researching them online they own an app called Mobile Academy, which neither of us have ever downloaded or used. They access your EE details somehow and request payment as a third party provider, as what we are not sure.

EE however have refused to accept any kind of responsibility even though this is clearly scamming, so I have reported it and EE to http://www.cisas.org.uk who are EE's regulators.

by TrevHarvey
Visitor

Dear EE

This morning I get out of my car and receive a text from Mobitrans saying I have subscribed to thier service.

I have made NO such subscription. As an IT consultant of 25 years I am perfectly competent with my phone and all things internet. 

I followed the instructions to remove the service, and 2 hours later found a bill for 3.33 had been added to my account.

Reading the information on this site, it seems this supplier is somehow faking clicks through links on your EE home page or your EE application. This is fraud.

I have only just switched to EE and am within my 14 day period so you will remove this from my bill immediately.

Failure to do so will result in my move back to Vodafone.

I suggest you terminate your agreement with Mobitrans as they are damaging your business.

Regards

Trevor Harvey

by daiwarner
Explorer

i havent subscribed to this and im getting charged put a stop to it ee!!!
by ZaraPankhurst
Explorer

I was charged by this fraudsters. .I called EE had a real go at them and threaten to stop my contract with them .. I manage to get a credit from them forl the amount I was charged. EE has no right to charge without a customer spproving a payment . I was prepared to take this to Trading Standard if I was not reimbursed. To stop EE using our bill for charging enough subscriber should complain .
by ZaraPankhurst
Explorer

Mobile Academy Scam and EE role

If enough of EE subscriber complain and be prepared to take them to trading standard and office of Fair Trading EE will stop this practice. I managed to get a credit from them . As far ad I am concerned it is EE to blame for making it eady for their customers to be scammed. No other provider will add chargescto your bill without you specifically ask .
by csuwi1 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Re: Mobile Academy Scam and EE role

ZaraPankhurst wrote:
If enough of EE subscriber complain and be prepared to take them to trading standard and office of Fair Trading EE will stop this practice. I managed to get a credit from them . As far ad I am concerned it is EE to blame for making it eady for their customers to be scammed. No other provider will add chargescto your bill without you specifically ask .

EE will tell you that it's part of a UK-wide scheme called "Payforit," but as you point out, it's only EE customers who are being scammed by this company who are clearly abusing the scheme.

The premium regulator, PhonepayPlus, have put the ball firmly back in EE's court because of an "arrangement" EE have with Mobitrans to provide content to their customers. This means PhonepayPlus can't act.

EE themselves are stalling and so it's up to us to get Ofcom, the Ombudsman or some other organisation with power to investigate to force EE to do more than refund the few customers stubborn enough to jump through enough hoops.

by Legend
Legend

EE is part of payforit so they financially benefit. Really like roaming premium numbers should be something the costumer activates and not automatically entitled to this way they will avoid these charges. EE would never do this as they financially benefit. 

Equally these companies use cunning tricks and fool people into subscribing as well as exploiting weaknesses in mobile phone browsers. If you come across one of these situations when in an app or online best off either trying to back up of killing the process/app, never touch the screen. 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Established Contributor

Northerner wrote:

EE is part of payforit so they financially benefit. Really like roaming premium numbers should be something the costumer activates and not automatically entitled to this way they will avoid these charges. EE would never do this as they financially benefit. 

Equally these companies use cunning tricks and fool people into subscribing as well as exploiting weaknesses in mobile phone browsers. If you come across one of these situations when in an app or online best off either trying to back up of killing the process/app, never touch the screen. 

Agreed. Note that Mobitrans is not just payforit though, it apparently has special status within EE.

As for the tricks to make you subscribe: there's all sorts as you say, and in fact it's even worse than this. The information that is Mobitrans providing as "proof" of subscription was essentially the same information that any site that you visit, or that serves you an unsolicited banner advert, is automatically provided with. It's part of how the technology of the web works, but it can easily be presented to non-experts in a way to convince them they must have accidentally clicked something.

It's like a takeaway company saying they can "prove" you ordered because they know your address and there's one of their menus in the bin outside your house. Clearly it's utterly ridiculous as evidence but because it's technical looking, people don't know how to contest it.

https://mobitransscam.wordpress.com/2015/08/14/technical-analysis-of-mobitrans-evidence/

by mumpeg Investigator
Investigator

Hi
I had the same issue and was getting nowhere with Mobitrans themselves, so I raised it as a complaint with EE, using their online form and a day later I got a reply promising a full refund! If it helps, here is the gist of my email to them, followed by their reply:

What is your problem about? Billing - Payment & Refunds
Please give us more details:
i have been charged for the last two months by a company called mobitrans and their associate, VIP games company, for services that I did not need, sign up for or ever use. I understand that the regulator, Pay Phone Plus has ruled that this is not a normal third party service as EE have a direct agreement with Mobitrans to provide content to their customers via an "Own Portal" service. As such, PhonepayPlus are not able to intervene so why are your customer service advisers trying to redirect concerned customers, like me, to the regulator instead of taking responsibility for this scam that you appear to be complicit in?
Please refund me the £38.49 that I have been fraudulently charged.

They replied:
Thank you for your email which I have received in the Customer Relations Office regarding your EE account. Your email is in regards to being charged for a third party service you did not require or request. I am taking this opportunity to respond in writing.
I would firstly like to apologise for the level of service you have received from EE in regards to the issues raised. I completely appreciate how frustrated and upset you must have been to notice these unwanted charges appearing on your bill. We are presently reviewing our process with regards to the addition of third party charges and I am sorry for the details given when you contacted Customer Services.
As I can see a charge to account bar has been activated on your number I have agreed to credit and refund 38.49 inc of VAT to you by BACS transfer. Please allow 7 to 10 days for this to be processed. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused Mrs Wilson, I assure you it has not been the company intention to cause you any undue stress and frustration. I sincerely hope my response meets with your approval.
Thank you for taking the time to contact EE at this time. I hope that future dealings with us will be smoother.
Yours sincerely,
XXXXXXX XXXXXX
Customer Relations

[Mod Edit: Please do not post personal information of EE staff or other Community members. Thanks] 

by Ola77
Explorer

I never signed up for: Re: Mobitran aka Mobile Academy Subscription on Bill

I have just recived a bill of £42.24 for supscriptions to two services that I never signed up for: MOBITRAN and BGames.....I do not play online games, and neither am I on any online accademy courses as the Mobitrans subscriptions would suggest...I have apparently been on these subscriptions (without my knowledge) since July.....i have been paying double/triple the amount of my bill without even knowing it.

I spoke to EE today and the impression I get is that it is my problem....I am however not in a position to be placated with that kind of response....I would be glad to be given some information as I would like a full refund of my money....especially since I have been out of work recently

Established Contributor

Re: I never signed up for: Re: Mobitran aka Mobile Academy Subscription on Bill

Ola77 wrote:

I have just recived a bill of £42.24 for supscriptions to two services that I never signed up for: MOBITRAN and BGames.....I do

Sorry to hear that. It's an absolute disgrace that EE are still letting this go on and still Search twitter for "#mobitrans" for plenty of other complaints and EE being told time and again that they are handing out the wrong information and that the regulator has already contradicted their claims.

We know a fair amount about Mobitrans on here but BGames I'm not sure about. Do they appear on "Other Third Party Services" or "Other EE Services" or "Other T-Mobile Services" on your bill? If you phone PhonePayPlus on 0300 30 300 20 (sadly not freephone anymore) you should be able to get them to tell you whether BGames is genuinely a third party or is, like Mobitrans, an "Own Portal" service with whom EE has a specific contract.

In short though, EE are in the wrong on this. They are stubborn, and they are not co-operating with the regulator, but the weight of evidence clearly points to them having mucked this up. Most people who complain articulately and stubbornly enough get offered "goodwill gesture" payments even though EE refuse to admit it's a refund.

Legally (and I'm not a lawyer, just a consumer) the only contract that exists is between you and EE. There maybe all sort of policies, frameworks and procedures they'd like you to follow, but the bottom line is that EE took your money on the say-so of a third-party, and if that wasn't authorised, it is EE who are legally on the hook to either refund you or to provide you with reasonable evidence of you having authorised the payment.

Good luck fighting for your refund, and keep us updated!

by Johantos
Explorer

After some research found out that this company have changed their name for PR reasons as now everyone knows their scams. Their new name is First Screen and their website is 1screen.com . They are now trying to scam more people with the new name!
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.