by Mrkirbyman Investigator
Investigator

Going to Turkey. Best advice to avoid extra charges please.

Hi. My current plan is unlimited calls and texts with 2gb data.

Im off to Turkey this weekend and not wanting a nasty surprises when we return. Hotel has wifi (no idea on quality)  but wondering whats best advice on usage with regards to data/internet use. No intentions on calling or texting while away. Just internet. 

Thanks for reading.

7 REPLIES 7
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Going to Turkey. Best advice to avoid extra charges please.

Hi @Mrkirbyman

Trun your voicemail off before you go. And keep your phone on aeroplane ✈ mode. 

Use WiFi for Internet and you can use WhatsApp for calling. 

Send VM Off to 150 to trun your Voicemail off.

Thanks 

Investigator

Brilliant. Thank you

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Mrkirbyman  The Wi-fi in hotels in turkey are generally pretty good with decent signal in rooms too.  Unfortunately, you don’t really get any outside the hotel unless you are paying for a meal etc with somewhere that has it. Where about in turkey are you going?

Investigator

Just outside Izmir. 😁

Investigator

Hi. If i used phone outside hotel, would it just use up my data as normal or would it cost me extra on top of my normal contract bill??

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Turkey is not in the EU & so your normal allowances are not usable there. You would need to buy a roaming data add-on as in https://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming-costs/countries/turkey... .

If you are on contract, remember to text ROAMING to 150 before you leave to check roaming is enabled on your account.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @Mrkirbyman

Welcome to the community.

I can see you have had some great advice on using your phone in Turkey.

You can find helpful advice in our EE Roaming - Getting ready to use your phone abroad post.

Hope you have an amazing time 🙂

Leanne.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions