by Andrew75

Extra charged for calling 700034309

Hi I have been charged £15 for calling 700034309 multiple times when I haven’t called them. It is at exactly 11.16pm every time too. Wonder if someone has hacked my phone as the calls last 0 seconds. The calls cost £1.25 each

12 REPLIES 12
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Extra charged for calling 700034309

@Andrew75: That's not a phone number, it's a service ID for a third party charge. You can check these at http://ee.co.uk/help/accounts-billing-and-topping-up/billing-and-payment/your-bill-explained/third-p...

Third party name
Tap2Bill 
Text

Third party number

Third party description
Shared Short Code 

Third party contact details
Customer.Service@tap2bill.com
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Andrew75: These will be reversed-charged texts from Premium Rate nos. you may have inadvertently subscribed to via Web or TV. EE are not obliged to refund you but you may complain to the Premium rate regulator Phone-paid Services Authority or the firm itself. You can check out those nos. yourself on that site.

The PSA has the following information about shortcode number:

Customer care number: 0333 003 0581 
Customer care email: customer.service@tap2bill.com 
Customer care website: Tap2Bill Limited has not provided this information 
Search result provided by: Tap2Bill Limited 
Service connected on: 18 July 2011 
Service terminated on: This service is still operating 
Name of service: Shared Shortcode for Multiple Companies (85222) 
Type of service: Tap2Bill Limited has not provided this information 
Service description: Tap2Bill Limited has not provided this information 
How much does this service cost? £1.50 per Message 

If you would like to find out more about this service or have a question about it, then you should contact the service provider: Tap2Bill Limited

Tap2Bill Limited
5 St. John's Lane
Farringdon
London
EC1M 4BH
United Kingdom

If you are unsatisfied with the outcome from the service provider, please get in touch with us here.

N.B. They are actually taking £1.25 + VAT = £1.50 each time. 

You could try texting STOP to the number, but it may cost and may not work. 

You should also ask EE to block Premium Rate numbers so this doesn't happen in future.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by muggles708 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@Andrew75 wrote:

Hi I have been charged £15 for calling 700034309 multiple times when I haven’t called them. It is at exactly 11.16pm every time too. Wonder if someone has hacked my phone as the calls last 0 seconds. The calls cost £1.25 each

These will be third party charges, either from 'Payforit', or through EE's own portal.

You need to be aware that while you are connected to the internet via mobile data, your number may be passed by EE to third parties for charging purposes. The mechanism by which this happens is called 'Payforit'. 

This can’t happen while you are connected by WiFi. Once the third party has your number they can send you chargeable text messages and, very unfairly in my opinion, it will be your job to argue for a refund!

The Payforit mechanism was intended to make it easy for consumers to purchase goods and services and have them charged to their 'phone bill. Unfortunately Payforit has proven to be very insecure and hardly a day goes by without someone reporting another scam.

I have put details of how to deal with these scams on my website at http://payforitsucks.co.uk

Unfortunately EE and all of the other networks have no incentive to bring these scams to an end, as they receive a share of the income from them. EE claim to be able to  put a 'charge to bill' bar on your account to stop these third party charges.

The steps you ought to be taking are (with links to detailed instructions):

1. Stop further charges being made
  2. Get a refund of any charges already taken
  3. Complain to the Phone-paid Services Authority
  4. Protect yourself from further 'charge to bill' scams

Let me know if can offer any further help or advice. These scams are a disgrace to the mobile communications industry.

Paul

payforitsucks.co.uk

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@muggles708: 'Payforit' is not the mechanism by which you mobile no. is passed to these sites. Your mobile no. is carried in every packet you send to the Net over the EE mobile network. Witness that such charges are made by payment methods other than 'Payforit'.

Established Contributor

As far as I am aware 'header enrichment' of the type you suggest was abandoned several years ago because of the security issues it posed. The only way a company can get your number now is if your network gives it to them (or of course if you give it to them!).

There is no way I can tell from the information I receive, whether a visitor to my website is using a mobile connection or not (apart from clues in the IP address and the browser id). I certainly can't obtain their phone number, and something would be seriously amiss if I could.

I am aware that EE have a number of 'own portal' services which operate outside of the 'Payforit' mechanism, but which essentially work the same way for EE's trusted partners. These services can be distinguished because they are not available on the other netwoks which only use 'Payforit'. Mobitrans was a recent (notorious) example.

Whatever the mechanism, I question the security of any system which allows you to be defrauded in the manner currently employed.

I note that EE are taking steps to try to protect customers from 'Payforit' fraud by requiring two factor authorisation for all subscription services.

https://clients.txtnation.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000656991-UK-Changes-to-PFI-payment-flow-on-EE

https://blog.impulsepay.com/post/170580247572/ee-flow-changes-15th-february-2018

I recognise that the 'Payforit' system encompasses a number of other, more secure, mechanisms which are used for higher value transactions (for example subscriptions in excess of £4.50 per week). They are all detailed in the Payforit rules. My main objection to Payforit is that it offers little or no consumer protection, and that there is no ombudsman to adjudicate on individual complaints. Phone-paid Services Authority is not an ombudsman. They are an industry regulator and do not adjudicate on individual complaints. This distinction seems lost on EE Customer Services who told me twice today that PSA was an Ombudsman!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@muggles708: OK. Would you mind running test web page (enter the URL into your mobile web browser) over the EE mobile network & post result, obscuring all your personal info? It captures all HTTP headers being sent to it.

FYI: This is what I get over the O2 mobile network:

MNO Privacy Checker
by Collin Mulliner
**********[at]*******.org

HTTP Header Privacy info page
No obvious problem detected

Your HTTP Headers as seen by us

HTTP_USER_AGENT	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0
    HTTP_CONNECTION	keep-alive
    REMOTE_ADDR	82.132.***.***
    HTTP_X_GATEWAY	wap.london.02.net
    HTTP_HOST	www.mulliner.org
    HTTP_UPGRADE_INSECURE_REQUESTS	1
    HTTP_CACHE_CONTROL	max-age=259200
    REQUEST_URI	/pc.cgi
    HTTP_ACCEPT	text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
    HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR	10.160.123.167
    HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE	en-GB,en;q=0.5
    HTTP_O2GW_ID	09
    HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING	gzip, deflate

There is no mobile no. amongst it. Is it the same over the EE mobile network?

Established Contributor

I'm not an EE customer, but can assure you that the result will be the same on every network. 'Header enrichment' was abandoned several years agoby all of thse that were then using it.

Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX

The issue of header enrichment is dealt with in this thread https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/4G-and-mobile-data/Why-do-you-leak-my-phone-number-to-websites-when-br...

Header enrichment was abandoned some years ago following reports like this: https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2012/01/25/o2_hands_out_phone_numbers_to_websites/

It seems clear to me that EE do not routinely pass your MSISDN to third parties and that 'Header Enrichment' no longer occurs. However as 'Payforit' supports MSISDN passthrough, it is clear that this information is being passed to selected third parties when websites are visited via a mobile data connection. I think it reasonable to assume that EE's 'own portal' services use a similar, if not identical, mechanism. The precise details of how this occurs are unclear ( and rather academic, as it the effect rather than the precise method that is at issue) . The 'Payforit' rules make it clear on page 10 that this happens.

Once the consumer clicks on the link, they are forwarded to the Payforit API who will display relevant details about the product being purchased including the price and a “Buy Now” button.
At the same time, the mobile number of the consumer is transferred to the API by the consumer’s mobile network.
Once the consumer clicks on the “Buy Now” button and confirms they accept that the charge will go onto their mobile bill by clicking the second button, the API applies the charge to the consumer’s mobile network.

The fact is that while accessing the internet via a 3G or 4G connection, consumers are exposed to the risk of their MSISDN being passed to rogue third parties for charging purposes. The same risk applies to ALL other networks, so EE is not alone in this. Unless you need these 'services' the best advice is to ask for EE to apply a 'charge to bill' bar on your account.

It has emerged that Three are unable or unwilling to apply such a bar, leaving their consumers exposed to fraud without any ability to opt out!

It is ridiculous that such an insecure payment mechanism is allowed to exist in the second decade of the 21st century! The sheer number of consumers complaining about these charges should be sufficient evidence that something is seriously wrong.

With the imminent introduction of GDPR, one wonders whether consumers are, at last,  going to be given the opportunity to refuse their explicit permission for their numbers to be passed to third parties in this way.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@muggles708:

1. The Community thread you refer to does not deny that mobile nos are passed in packet headers as MSISDN; only the process to be followed to collect the subscription from your mobile bill once the service has deemed you to have subscribed explicitly or implicitly via MSISDN. In much the same way as normal merchants charge your CC once you have given them your CC details, but in that case you never provide them implicitly.
  2. The Register article is only about O2 stopping header enrichment by MSISDN, which we've known of for ages.

However, I do accept that, not being an EE mobile user, I have so far been unable to prove that EE does provide mobile nos. in packet headers as MSISDN

by Julie300578
Visitor

I am receiving charges from this number how do I stop it. please can someone help me please.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Julie300578: Please read posts 2 & 3 of this thread that you have latched on to.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Julie300578

Welcome to the community,.

Did you manage to find the information that you were looking for on @XRaySpeX's earlier post?

Find out more about charge to mobile services >

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.