by jw24 Investigator
Investigator

Bounce Mobile Games Unwanted Messages

I just noticed today (03/05/2017) that I have been charged £2.50 per week since 14/11/2016 due to "Other EE services - UK".

Having called up customer support, it turns out it is a company called Bounce Mobile Games. They send me a text every week telling me I'm subscribed to their service and it will cost me £2.50 per week. Unfortunately, I must have had spam messages from this company in the past, as the sender details were in my "Blocked" settings.

It would seem that somehow, I have become subscribed. I went to my messages, into the blocked section and had a read through all the ignored text messages. The first message sent (the day I started getting charged) reads;

"FreeMsg: Play fun games @ http://games.bounce.mobi! U R subscribed to Bounce Games,24 hrs free then £2.50/wk until u send stop bmgames to 60762 HELP:03301224968"

Since then, every message starts "FreeMsg: U r a member of Bounce Games..." etc.

I have a couple of points I would like to voice here. Firstly relating to EE;

Although the CS rep was helpful - she cancelled the sub and has put a block on any subsequent paid services being signed up for - after repeatedly telling her I hadn't signed up for anything and had not given out my mobile number, she continued to tell me that "they don't need your mobile number to sign you up". I tried to explain that they needed my number to send me the texts, but she just kept repeating the same thing to me over and over. Sounded quite scripted. I also quizzed her on how I could go about a refund (I even explicitly said, not necessarily from EE, but can you give me some advice) but she came across quite patronising and pretty much said "You must have signed up to it, its your problem". Additionally, initially EE were only able to supply me with the Company name, nothing more. Once I pushed a little further, she told me she could raise a complaint with the company and then managed to tell me the "terms" that I had signed up to.

Now I have a few questions - Firstly, do I legally have a leg to stand on? I'm not a lawyer, but I'm also not a numpty (apart from the fact I haven't checked my bill since before Christmas). I know for a FACT that I didn't KNOWINGLY sign-up to this service - seriously, who would?! My understanding was that firstly, a contract has to be at least a two way affair - an offer for something and then an acceptance. I don't feel that me failing to respond to a message could possibly constitute acceptance of an offer. Like I said, I had blocked the number as it is a nuisance (considerably more of a nuisance now mind you). 

Additionally, as I mentioned before, ALL of the messages they send start with the text "FreeMsg". My understanding was (and this was confirmed by the EE CS rep) that the way I was being charged, was through this received text message. Surely I could use this as leverage when I contest the charges? It obviously wasn't a FreeMsg!

Finally, one thing which has come to my attention is the apparent 'victim-base' of this scam (and it is a scam) has some kind of relationship with EE. When the woman on the phone told me the company name, the first thing I did was Google them. The first two results were for this very forum (with the exception of the Google Maps results) - try it yourself if you don't believe me. I mentioned this to the CS rep who basically ignored me - I didn't push it too hard as I know it's not her fault. Regardless, the fact that the only really useful results from my search sent me to this forum is worrying - does EE have any affiliation with this company? When I was being told how stupid I was for clicking this link or downloading that game, could they have been referring to the EE site or app? Seems awfully coincidental if you ask me.

I'd also just like to point out I consider myself a very competent user of up to date technology and also very wary of who has my details. I am not the kind of person to click a "This kitchen - wow what she did, I'm so trying this!" link. I don't generally download many games, and tend to stick to reputable devs and I very rarely give out my phone number unless absolutely necessary.

If I have indeed inadvertently signed up to this nonsense, it will be the first time in around 16 years of owning a mobile (and I will be pissed!).

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Captain-Boufles Established Contributor
Established Contributor
Solution

Re: Bounce Mobile Games Unwanted Messages

@jw24- Bounce Mobile is owned by PM Connect a long time scam company that used to trade under the name Psychic Media.

Read this about thier old scam -

https://consumerinvestigations.wordpress.com/tag/psychic-media-ltd/          

They now along with a number of scam companies make thier money from charging mobile customers for subscriptions that they do not want and did not knowingly sighn up for.

(to see how that process works - https://payforitscam.wordpress.com/what-is-payforit-and-is-it-really-a-scam/)

The mobile networks including EE enable this by providing your mobile number to these companies - which is all they need to charge you)

The networks keep arounf 15% -40% of these charges so are happy to play along with the scammers.

If you press EE they will refund you.

PM Connect / Bounce Mobi should refund you too if you keep requsting from them evidence that you consented to be charged (they obviously wont have any)

You can raise this to the PSA Authority - but they have no teeth

You can also raise this to the ICO as EE have given your personal data to third parties without your consent.

11 REPLIES
by Legend
Legend

Hi, 

These products hide in small print and you likely didn't even know you subscribed as normally the boxes are already ticked. Facebook, mobile advertisements, online quiz are all guilty. 

There is a good thread started by someone else on this issues here.

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@jw24  To sign up to this sort of service you only need to click a link when using your device when browsing the net even Facebook has links that can sign you up and it only happens when your using a cellular data connection as your device is giving these XXXXXXX your number via its cellular connection,  it's called click bait.  You'll need to contact the company that was billing you for this service and request a refund from them.  

The billing system thats used by these companies is operated via O2,3,EE and vodaphone. This is done so the networks can charge these companies for running a business (scam) (but some people do want these services and do sign up willing) on the networks. Yes the networks do make a profit from these companies and you can not blame them as you wouldn't what a company making money on your network without charging them for it. 

Established Contributor
Solution

@jw24- Bounce Mobile is owned by PM Connect a long time scam company that used to trade under the name Psychic Media.

Read this about thier old scam -

https://consumerinvestigations.wordpress.com/tag/psychic-media-ltd/          

They now along with a number of scam companies make thier money from charging mobile customers for subscriptions that they do not want and did not knowingly sighn up for.

(to see how that process works - https://payforitscam.wordpress.com/what-is-payforit-and-is-it-really-a-scam/)

The mobile networks including EE enable this by providing your mobile number to these companies - which is all they need to charge you)

The networks keep arounf 15% -40% of these charges so are happy to play along with the scammers.

If you press EE they will refund you.

PM Connect / Bounce Mobi should refund you too if you keep requsting from them evidence that you consented to be charged (they obviously wont have any)

You can raise this to the PSA Authority - but they have no teeth

You can also raise this to the ICO as EE have given your personal data to third parties without your consent.

by jw24 Investigator
Investigator

@Captain-Boufles I've only just managed to get around to actioning this. I called up PM Connect who explained to me how I signed up (apparently I clicked an ad, which is possible, even if it was unintentional, but then also clicked a further button asking to sign up). At this point I thought I had a fight on my hands but next thing you know I'm being told they will refund me. Until I actually get the money I won't believe it (apparently within 14 days) but considerably less stressful than I expected.

Cheers for the info Captain - very useful.

Established Contributor

@jw24  Thats great - glad you're getting your money back - mine came via the post office in about 10 days after they said - I was sceptical too but they handed it over.

These guys really have no "robust evidence of consent to charge" as they are required to (obviously as you and I did not willingly sign up) so the last thing they want is someone clued up pressing them on it.

If you have time, raise this to the PSA - I belive that they are currently under investigation, but another complaint will only help.

All the best Smiley Happy

by jw24 Investigator
Investigator

Quick update, I got the SMS today with the code, but it is only for half the amount. Just called them up again and they have said they are going to look into it. Promising nonetheless. 

@Captain-Boufles, I am keen to submit a complaint to the PSA but all I can seem to find on their site is guidance and regulations, nowhere to actually complain. I will get in contact with them once I have my refund to update them. Thanks again for your help.

by htweeds
Explorer

Hello,

Did you get a refund in the end - I'm having the exact same issue?  

Your original story is almost exactly the same as mine - I apparently clicked on an advert on 7th January and since then have been getting weekly charges for a website for cooking recipies!

EE saying the error is mine. Bounce Mobi issued a post office code to collect a refund for less than half the amount I'm due, and are now uncontactable, and Phone-pay Services Authority have a recorded message which I cant get through on.

Any help / direction would be appreciated! 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @htweeds

Thanks for posting in community Smiley Happy

Have you tried the PSA website all?

Thanks

Richard

Smiley Happy

by Outspan2000 Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi, I have just become aware that I am paying £2.50 a week to this scam company.

I contacted EE who said they would email the company and that I should contact EE again in 10 days to confirm action to be taken.

Its time this was stamped on....EE are a part of the conspirity 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Outspan2000 EE are not  associated with this company that’s billing you.  This is a subscription service that you have subscribed to be that intentionally or accidentally.  What you press when your browsing the web is your own doing and not controlled by EE.  

by Outspan2000 Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your reply.....there are many many people out there who find
themselves in the same situation....clearly the "company" are misleading
people.
How did they get my phone number....I have never give my phone number or
indeed email address to anyone I do not know.
It must have been EE !!! in contradiction of the sharing of information
legislation recently updated.
I do not have any details of the company I Supposedly contacted either
"knowingly or unknowingly" as you put it.
I tried the website quoted elsewhere in the forum and it cannot be accessed
unless one is a member which I am clearly not despite there being paid
£2.50 a week from my Orange account.
Further to that my Direct Debit with Orange is for Telephone, Text and
Internet not for payments to scam businesses like this one, who
incidentally have been at this type of scam before.

Regards

Mike
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.