cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Boku

MS04
Investigator
Investigator

So I am FURIOUS. I have been fraudulently charged nearly £400 by EE OVER MY BILLby EE for 3rd party services I have NEVER requested or received by BOKU. This is DISGUSTING as after over an hour on the phone to EE customer services, there’s nothing they are prepared to do to help me. Contacted Boku and they’ve been less than helpful.

EE happily pay 3rd parties and bill me for something I knew NOTHING about. My contract with EE. This is not how to treat customers. Surely EE SHOULD CONTACT CUSTOMERS before they pay 3rd parties. Anyone know how I can get my money back?

Already put stop on all phones now for 3rd party sellers.

EE must be getting some financial incentive to allow this to happen. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MS04
Investigator
Investigator

Hi All

Thankbyou to everyone for their advice.

I am HAPPY to report BOKU have agreed to fully refund me.

This was after I had to do all investigations on their behalf.

Contacted  Sony PlayStation who confirmed that NO MONEY was credited to my sons account with the phone number that had been charged.

Then had to report to The Police And Actionfraud who gave crime ref number. 

Finally Boku agreed that we should be refunded fully as this was fraud.

so anyone in this position- please check your bills and flag up immediately.

thanks EE community 

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

What no. is the charge/text from?

These will be reversed-charged texts from Premium Rate nos. you may have inadvertently subscribed to via Web or TV. EE are not obliged to refund you but you may complain to the Premium rate regulator Phone-paid Services Authority or the firm itself. You can check out those nos. yourself on that site.

You could try texting STOP to the number, but it may cost and may not work. 

You should also text BAR to 150 to block Premium Rate numbers so this doesn't happen in future.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

All I have is that it’s from a code which connects to Sony B PlayStation.... but we pay all PS4 add ons via credit card.

The Boku charges specifically say they sent text messages with a verification code to be entered .. then they bill... but I HAVE NEVER received any texts or used verification codes.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @MS04,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Are you the user of the phone number that has been charged or is it used by someone else?

Thanks

James

The charges are on both my boys’ phones. This has happened when both got new phones and one downloaded PS4 app. The one game they bought has been charged to credit card as usual. They do not use their phones for buying anything at all.. if they want anything we buy on our credit cards and happy to pay.

i feel aggrieved that we are charged for services NOT consented to receiving or using and no verification codes received or used.

@MS04

You will be charged Boku via the PS network/app. The PS app also contains ads which will link to Boku, so it's easy for your son's to accidentally be fooled into thinking these are part of the PS network. 

You can lock out payments on the apps store, and via your online account (Menu- manage your device) but ultimately the bill payer is responsible for any charges incurred. You should have maybe considered PAYG sims. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

All my son did was download the app.

in the email they sent me they specifically say they send verification codes and we have never received this. In the space of under one minute they charge £30 twice ... and they repeat the pattern.

Its simply not true that we have receany verification codes.

My sons are quite computer savvy and that’s why we are all shocked.

The strange thing is this has happened on both phones when phones upgraded in last Oct and Nov.

HOWEVER, ultimately EE charging without my knowledge.

From 2nd Jan yo yesterday another £188 has accrued- which we cannot understand as he’s not been on PS4 as was doing his Gcse maths final exams.

I wouldn’t have an issue if he was actually playing.

EE not being helpful but happily paying 3rd party and taking out of my dd. They won’t even verify if messages were sent by a Boku - as we haven’t received them

95D6B570-2A50-4B4C-AC4A-07B1504367DF.jpeg

BrendonH
Community Hero
Community Hero

@MS04 wrote:

All my son did was download the app.

in the email they sent me they specifically say they send verification codes and we have never received this. In the space of under one minute they charge £30 twice ... and they repeat the pattern.

Its simply not true that we have receany verification codes.

My sons are quite computer savvy and that’s why we are all shocked.

The strange thing is this has happened on both phones when phones upgraded in last Oct and Nov.

HOWEVER, ultimately EE charging without my knowledge.

From 2nd Jan yo yesterday another £188 has accrued- which we cannot understand as he’s not been on PS4 as was doing his Gcse maths final exams.

I wouldn’t have an issue if he was actually playing.

EE not being helpful but happily paying 3rd party and taking out of my dd. They won’t even verify if messages were sent by a Boku - as we haven’t received them

95D6B570-2A50-4B4C-AC4A-07B1504367DF.jpeg

They may be computer savvy but this can happen to any computer savvy person if they accidently click on the boku ad in the PS4 app.

You need to direct your plight to Boku and PS4, PS4 shouldn't be letting this happen with just a click of a button/ad.

Once you click on that ad you agree to the terms and payments.

EE will just authorise payment because they will assume you agreed to this. If EE has to contact you everytime a chargable action happens on your phone you'll forever get phone calls from EE and this would be a nuisance.

It is down to the bill payer to check bills and to keep eye on current usage.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

Thanks Brendon.

i shall Pursue this  with Boku ( so long as they don’t put down phone on me like they did yesterday..)

And i shall definitely be contacting Ofcom about this as I’m sure I’m not the only unaware person this this has/will happen to.

MS04
Investigator
Investigator

Hi All

Thankbyou to everyone for their advice.

I am HAPPY to report BOKU have agreed to fully refund me.

This was after I had to do all investigations on their behalf.

Contacted  Sony PlayStation who confirmed that NO MONEY was credited to my sons account with the phone number that had been charged.

Then had to report to The Police And Actionfraud who gave crime ref number. 

Finally Boku agreed that we should be refunded fully as this was fraud.

so anyone in this position- please check your bills and flag up immediately.

thanks EE community