by davidthornton Established Contributor
Established Contributor

ee.co.uk blocked in Brasil

The ee.co.uk web site including the "my EE" service login but not this community site (because the community isn't actually hosted by EE, rather is outsourced) has been blocked for a number of weeks in Brazil when trying to access through the broadband connection I'm using here. If I turn wifi off on my iPhone and use its cellular network instead I can access the web site immediately. 

The error message iOS Safari returns is "http://ee.co.uk/404.html (Safari cannot open this page because too many redirects occurred.)" 

This means I can't use a computer to browse the web site unless I tether to an iPhone here or use a VPN. 

I presume this has been deliberately implemented in response to intrusion attempts from IP addresses in this region because severel UK web sites implement blocks in varying ways. Unfortunately it's not very helpful to anyone who's abroad and wants to access their account here, particularly when no proper explanatory message is presented. 

15 REPLIES 15
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: ee.co.uk blocked in Brasil

You could try & get round this issue by switching the DNS in the BB router to Manual with 1 of these public DNS, if you are allowed to:

Open DNS  :	208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220
Google DNS:	8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 
Norton DNS:	198.153.192.40 & 198.153.194.40

or even if you're not you could change it on your own PC.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @XRaySpeX,

Welcome back to the community.

Did @XRaySpeX's fix help?

I presume you tried clearing your browsers cookies and cache?

Thanks

James

Established Contributor

Sorry for the late follow up.

The issue is definitely EE deliberately blocking access to ee.co.uk when attempting to browse from some ISPs located in Brazil. I have seen other UK based web sites do this too. Some have even confirmed they do this to me when I have inquired.

EE don't appear to block browser access when I am using a 3G/4G network in Brazil (I have tried two) but they do block browsing when using fixed line ISPs (I have tried several different ones).

As soon as I switch to a VPN and obtain a UK IP address on the same computer using the same web browser I can access ee.co.uk again. My recursive DNS is 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 but the issue is not DNS related. EE is choosing to return "ee.co.uk/404.html" to me because it's preventing connections from certain IP addresses.

The irritation is there are better ways to block rogue traffic than firewalling out large ranges of IP addresses where people might legitimately want to access services from. Moreover there is no clear explanation returned by the web site to the user so they understand why access is blocked, causing the user to think it's their issue. 

Any comment from EE appreciated.

by

Hi @davidthornton

Thanks for coming here and I hope you are enjoying Brazil 🙂

Did you try the help here offered with this?

Thanks

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

There is no reason for EE to block access to their site from IPs from Brazil.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Changing the recursive DNS as suggested is moot because DNS resolution is not the issue. The fact that the URL “ee.co.uk/404.html” is returned by the web server is evidence that DNS resolution is functioning. If it wasn’t I wouldn’t get that far in order to be redirected to that page. 

I concur that there is no reason for EE to block some IP address ranges in Brazil however I’m aware that a number of web sites that I interact with do this. It’s likely a blunt way of blocking traffic that is thought unlikely to be legitimately interested in viewing the web site content and more likely to be nefarious. It’s quite possible that IP ranges in other parts of the world are blocked too. 

Established Contributor

I have noticed that the EE.co.uk web site, exclusing this community, is blocked in other parts of Brazil as I have travelled throughout the country but it is not blocked in Uruguay. Of course it works fine in Brazil when browing using a VPN to change the local IP address.

by
EE Employee

Hi @davidthornton and welcome back to the community.

This is very unusual, is there any specific part of EE.CO.UK that is being blocked?

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

As mentioned in a previous post, everything other than the community is blocked when attempting to access ee.co.uk from fixed line internet service providers in Brazil. Mobile internet providers are not affected. The community is hosted externally by a third party and not EE itself which explains why it isn’t blocked. 

This is sort of things isn’t unusual in my experience. I can’t get to Ebuyer or Noddle either when in Brasil using fixed line internet service providers and have to use a VPN to obtain a U.K. IP address first. I have had legitimate reasons to try to access both of those when here. 

What’s irritating is the manner EE and the other companies impliment the block. The block is implemented in a way where I don’t get a nice friendly message explaining the web site is deliberately blocked/unavailable in my region, rather I get a “too many redirects” error message or other strange messages because the block has been implemented in a ham fisted manner using firewalls. One would think it was something their end when in fact it isn’t. I can immediately fix the problem by switching from the fixed line internet provider to mobile. I’ve tried fixed line internet providers in several cities and access has been blocked on all. 

You’ll likely think it’s something I’m doing but I encourage you to ask the right people at EE to see if they will confirm or deny they do this. I’m sure it’s come about sometime this year. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @davidthornton 

I will certainly double check the geo blocking on the website for you.

Many thanks,

Lee

by
EE Employee

Hi @davidthornton

I have sent a message to the MyEE team, soon as i hear anything back I will let you know.

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

Did anything come back from the EE team in relation to their blocking of ee.co.uk in some countries?

While I am talking about the web site, please could you make the "Login" button for the community more prominant than the middle of the screen with text inside circle with a yellow background? It's very hard to see and often I make the mistake of trying to login at the top right, which is to the entire EE.co.uk site rather than to the forum.

Thanks.

by
EE Employee

Hi @davidthornton

The MyEE team looked into this and have confirmed that usage in Brazil is not blocked.

Are you still experiencing issues?

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

Yes. Only when on WiFi networks. I’ve tried many different WiFi networks and the EE web site blocks access from them all. Switch to cellular and it immediately functions. 

This is is common with many web sites. Someone at EE is misinformed. I’ll make a little video demonstrating soon. 

Im travelling to Puerto Rico tomorrow and will see if the web site is blocked there too. 

by

Please keep us up to date @davidthornton 

Please flag any technical difficulties you are having into our technical support team, so that they can raise a support ticket to look into this, if it needs looked at.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions