by ichen0713
Explorer

Why my credit rating is poor?

I started a contract with EE since August 2017. I chose EE because EE provide student discount and some extras such as 6months free Apple Music, Roaming abroad and Using data on apple watch.

But after I set the Apple Music in August, I didn't notice I was charged on it for the next 3 months until September. I made a complaint to 150 and EE gave me a loyalty discount for next 6 months and from the bill seems they refund 1month for that. What about the other 2 charged months?

After I bought a Apple Watch because I knew I can use data on it with EE. But when I phone EE, they just told me I'm not be able to use data on Apple Watch because my credit rating is poor. I don't understand since I didn't nothing bad and paid all bills by direct debit automatically.

Moreover, I went to Spain last month and I had no service there because I didn't set roaming before I go. So I asked my friend to call EE to set roaming for me but EE said my credit rating is poor so I can't get roaming abroad. This was really annoying since I couldn't make any calls and connect to the net there.

Maybe they just feel I'm a student not from EU, or they feel my plan is too cheap so they think my credit is poor. Then I try to upgrade my plan since I saw a customer offer which is 16.69 pounds per month with 12GB data included. But when I phone 150, the guy also said I can't upgrade for now.

I just don't understand that I was overcharged on free Apple Music by EE and why EE said my credit rating is poor. I wanted to cancel the contract but they also said I should pay for cancel.

What can I do then? Could anyone give some advices? Thanks so much.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor
Solution

Re: Why my credit rating is poor?

@ichen0713

EE does not give you a credit rating.

Every one in UK has a credit rating.

There are 3 big credit companies which financial companies use to determine if you are financially stable to gain credit off them.

When you got the contract tour rating may have been good enough for the contract.

But every one had a credit limit. The max you can borrow. The more credit you have usef and paid back on time determines this limit and the score.

As you are a student this rating and limit will be low as you wouldn't have had much credit.

You can easily run up a huge bill abroad so you need to have a good credit score and limit. I know it is now cheaper in the EU due to regulations but you can't just turn on roaming just for EU.

Also the Apple watch is quite expensive so again will probably be over your credit limit.

The best thing to do is to continue to pay your EE bills on time and in full. This will improve your score and limit.

Hope this helps with your credit query.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
4 REPLIES 4
by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the community @ichen0713

I understand your frustration in regard to all the points made in your post.

The Apple music issue does sound like you subscribed to the Apple 3 month offer and not the EE offer which falls part of your plan.

If your credit rating is low you may not be eligible for services like roaming or the Apple watch, this can build up as time goes by.

The changing of your plan should not be affected but if the plan you want to move to is a promotional plan this may not be available.

Many thanks,

Lee

by ichen0713
Explorer

Hey @Lee_H

Thank you for your help. I may explain the details a bit to you.

I followed the instruction of applying free Apple Music and sent ”Music“ to 150, but it replied "Sorry, something went wrong, ...". So I contacted the online service to ask for help. Seems that service did something for me and let me send the message again, I followed and then it worked. Also on My EE, when I check the add-ons, it shows 'Free Apple music with free data'. But this is not really annoying for me now since EE has solved it almost.

The most important thing is, in next few months, I still need to go to other EU countries for filed trip. If I can't use roaming there, it would be a big problem for me. You mentioned the credit rating would build up as time goes by. Did you mean when I made the contract with EE, my credit rating was already bad? If not, why my credit rating was decreasing to bad. Could you help me, like to show the history of my credit rating. For now I just wanna know why, and how to solve it in a short time. Otherwise I really need to cancel the contract.

Also, could you help me update to that plan I mentioned if it's possible.

Thank you so much!

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @ichen0713,

We're not able to access your account via the community.

Please get in touch with customer services and they'll be happy to discuss your account queries.

Thanks

James

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor
Solution

@ichen0713

EE does not give you a credit rating.

Every one in UK has a credit rating.

There are 3 big credit companies which financial companies use to determine if you are financially stable to gain credit off them.

When you got the contract tour rating may have been good enough for the contract.

But every one had a credit limit. The max you can borrow. The more credit you have usef and paid back on time determines this limit and the score.

As you are a student this rating and limit will be low as you wouldn't have had much credit.

You can easily run up a huge bill abroad so you need to have a good credit score and limit. I know it is now cheaper in the EU due to regulations but you can't just turn on roaming just for EU.

Also the Apple watch is quite expensive so again will probably be over your credit limit.

The best thing to do is to continue to pay your EE bills on time and in full. This will improve your score and limit.

Hope this helps with your credit query.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.