by Seville Investigator
Investigator

Why can't I change my role to bill payer?

I don't often use the MyEE website, but I'm currently working in Australia and need my phone unlocking so I can get a local SIM, for more data etc. (My package is 8GB maximum from EE)

So, after trying to call EE from the 'abroad number' provided, some Australian accent tells me my service cannot make calls to that number, so I try to unlock it using the website form, and it just won't let me. 

I figure, eventually, that it might be because my account doesn't have me down as the bill payer/account holder, just the 'user'.

I click the links to change roles and it just directs me to the page to add a number... when my number is already registered.

I'm going in circles no matter what I try to do.

If an EE employee reads this, I want you to know that your website is absolutely infuriating and one of the worst that I have used in recent memory. 

14 REPLIES 14
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Why can't I change my role to bill payer?

Hi @Seville

Welcome to the Community,

Unfortunately there is no account access here on the community I would recommend trying online chat via myEE or ringing 0044 207 362 0200 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Seville: Did you buy this device yourself new direct from EE or is it 2nd-hand? The process & costs for unlocking are different.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Seville Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeX  I bought the phone and plan via mobiles.co.uk or something. It was brand new though. I'm not sure if that affects it.

It doesn't change why I can't just change who the bill payer is on the MyEE website though.

by Seville Investigator
Investigator

@David

Can I call this number from Australia? 

0044 207 362 0200 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, but it'll cost.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Seville

Welcome to the community. 

Did you manage to get in touch with live chat?

You just need to log into your My EE account on a desktop/laptop and a pop-up window will appear when someone is available.

Chris

by Seville Investigator
Investigator

@Christopher_G

I haven't got a laptop or PC available at the moment.

Is there literally no way of changing the role to bill payer without having to call EE? 

Or rather, why doesn't the website actually work properly?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It is not your role as non-bill payer in MyEE that is preventing you filling in the online unlocking form. You cannot use that form when you didn't buy the phone direct from EE.

To unlock a phone not bought direct from EE you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

by Seville Investigator
Investigator

Far too many issues on this website, you're going to lose a customer.

All I want to do is unlock my phone. I don't care how it's done or how much it costs, I just need it unlocked.
The numbers provided by EE don't work here in Australia (I came here a few months ago),
the website is absolutely, incredibly, infuriatingly redundant.
Who the hell coded this piece of crap?
Why am I not the bill payer by default when setting up my account? Who does EE think pays my phone bill?
I'm on a contract with EE, I have about 7 months left in a 2 year deal, and I sure as hell will not go back to EE after this experience.
I try to change my role from just the user to bill payer, but both of the links provided (the 'change roles' and the 'step by step on how to change roles' both just lead to the page asking you to add an account... how is that helpful at all?!

I cannot even contact EE because they don't have a customer support email address?!
The time difference means I have no chance of catching them open, and their live chat on this site only seems to work during the opening hours, which is pathetic. Either that or it just simply doesn't work on internet explorer, which would be a joke too.

The site recognises my device when I enter my number to create the account, yet when I use the phone unlock form it doesn't recognise my phone number.. it then asks for the EMEI number; I provide it and it literally just does nothing. I hit submit and it just refreshes the page, with all the information saved, only it unticks the 'I'm not a robot' prompt: this website manages to make the 'I'm not a robot' questions absolutely aggravating too. You have to press multiple images, sometimes it doesn't even work.

Pull your fingers out, people. EE has to be one of the richest service providers and yet your website and customer care is absolutely atrocious.
You're losing a customer once I manage to finally get out of this contract.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Far too many issues on this website, you're going to lose a customer.

@Seville: I've already told you that you cannot use the unlocking form when you didn't buy the phone direct from EE & therefore you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to get it unlocked.

This is the only way you are gonna get it unlocked.

by Seville Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeX 

And I have already told you that the numbers to call don't work from here. You are a part of the problem, not the solution, mate.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Seville,

From abroad, please call +44 (0) 7953 966 250.

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Seville: Are you telling me that it is not possible to call UK nos. from Oz, using the +44 prefix? I don't believe it.

by Seville Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeX 

Are you accusing me of lying? 

I'm in Tasmania, not mainland, I'm not sure if that's the reason why it says my service can't connect a call to that number.

I managed to get a friend to call them on my behalf and put me on loud speaker to them.. long winded way of doing it, but it's sorted.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.