by JohnB47 Investigator
Investigator

The 'My EE' app has changed - how to fix

I have an android PAYG phone and have been using the 'My EE' app for many months to check my balance. I juct touch the app icon and it loads up with the info I need.

However, as of yesterday it has changed. It starts off asking me to turn OFF my wifi 'if you don't turn off your wifi it will take much longer to get into My EE'. If I do that and say 'yes' it says I'm not connected. (I have my phone set to use only wifi to access the internet). If I don't turn off wifi and continue, it simply gets me to log into the EE website, so the app icon then becomes an internet access shortcut, rather than a 'load the app' icon (and it asks me to sign-in every time).

Why has this changed? Can I not now use the app to check my balance via wifi?

I have tried uninstalling the app, turning the phone off/on and then reinstalling it - still the same. 

Thanks.

17 REPLIES 17
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: The 'My EE' app has changed - how to fix

Whether you have WiFi ON or not it now takes to your MyEE online a/c to check your balances.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi,  

Your app will need a data signal to be able to connect to EE.  If you activate data and disable WiFi it should work fine.  

You can use WiFi on your device independently of the sim so you need to use data/sim to verify your account (I assume). EE seem to have disabled access from WiFi only devices.  

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Northerner: I can & do use the MyEE app over WiFi (I'm not even on the EE mobile network) & it still works (but for some reason it isn't at the mo'). It might take longer as it warns but I've not noticed it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@XRaySpeX EE have definitely done something as the app no longer works on my WiFi only tablet.

Cynical me would say EE just want you to use data.. 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Northerner: MyEE app won't even install for my Lenovo Android Tab. Say it's for phones only & not suitable for my device.

by JohnB47 Investigator
Investigator

This is what's confusing me. Before, it worked like an app - just loaded up a page of tiles and showed me my credit balance, all very simple. Now, if I go through a new process forced on me and choose not to turn wifi off, I end up being shown the online website. This is not what an app should do, I can do this myself using the Chrome browser on my phone or my PC at home.

It seems to me that EE have decided that I have to have 'Data Enabled' turned on. I've just tried that - turned off wifi and turned on 'data enabled'. I went through the process and sure enough it loaded up, just like before (well almost). I checked my data usage on the app and before it was zero, after it said 1.27Mb. The instructions said 'we wont charge you for your data'. Fair enough but I don't want to turn on Data Enabled just to get the EE app to work like an app.

So that app is useless now - I'll remove it and just use my PC at home to log in occasionally.

Curious change to make.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, this is a backward step!

by nebbia88 Investigator
Investigator

They MUST be kidding, right???

I also have to log in typing the password EVERY TIME??? 

I am sure there was an option to save email AND password on the old one?

Always bad news here.. I think I'll switch to GG..

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@nebbia88  Sign in to the app and turn off the pin.  Then turn it back on and put in your pin in.  You will no longer have to keep signing in the way you are. 

by nebbia88 Investigator
Investigator

@Chris_B

Thank you for helping,

I tried everything, basically you can choose if you want to login with a PIN or with a password.

KEEP ME LOGGED IN seems impossible to understand??

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@nebbia88   I know that sone users have deleted the app and then reinstalled it and this then works.   

by nebbia88 Investigator
Investigator

finally solved the mistery of the PIN thanks to "lets' try random stuff"

It was as simple as "if you are using WI-FI, you will be asked for the PIN".

if you are on mobile data connection, it will login automatically.

Why is it so hard to write this as a warning instead of "it could take longer to login"??? WTF does it means "could take longer"???

thanks to everyone that helped 😉

by JohnB47 Investigator
Investigator

So, let me get this straight. Are we still saying that, when using wifi only,  the app no longer works as it once did - where you simply 'open' the app and it shows you the usage and options?

i.e. when using wifi, touching the app icon takes you to the website, where you need to enter the pin to log-in to your account?

Still no use to me, I'm afraid. I'll do that when at home, using my laptop. To my mind the app no longer works as an app, when using wifi. It's just an internet shortcut.

I'm not willing to turn-on mobile data because it would force me to keep checking if updates to my other apps had turned on data use. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@JohnB47  Can you not turn these other apps off form using data because once they are turned off they stay off and don't use data. 

by JohnB47 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks Chris. That's what I wasn't sure about. I'm suspicious that an undate to an app might result in it becoming data-enabled, unknown to me. So that's why I have individual apps 'turned off' as well as the overall 'data enabled' turned off (ie for all apps).

So you're saying that, once an app has 'data enabled' turned off, it will always stay that way?

I suppose that's a way to do things - a bit annoying really. It worked perfectly fine before.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@JohnB47  If you disable any app from using data it will remain off even if you update that app via wifi.if you delete an app and then reinstall it you might need to then turn off data again for that app.  

by JohnB47 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for that.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions