by NavalAirman Investigator
Investigator

My EE App for Windows Phone Pulled!

Having been a customer of EE Business/Personal for some time and a T-Mobile Business customer for 10 years before that, the decisions that EE make at times, I can only say make the mind boggle!

This morning I opened the “My EE” app only to see a message that Windows Phone will no longer be supported and the app will stop working soon. I contacted CS only to find that the representative couldn’t verify this and would have to wait until their break time to be able to try this out on a Windows Handset with thee app installed, when they find one. What!?!?! Great service!

I got it escalated and the person I spoke with was very helpful and confirmed that although not as popular as Apple/Android, Windows is still a popular choice and certainly not a dying platform. He said they had not been informed of the decision to withdraw the app for WP/Blackberry. He is going to investigate and get back to me, all credit to him, thanks.

I have spoken to a senior manager regarding an ongoing network issue previously and then mentioned the Visual Voicemail (VVM) for Windows handsets. Microsoft released the firmware for this around three years ago, which was compatible for the Lumia 640/950/950XL. This was tested by EE I believe on a Lumia 640 and was shown in a video online https://mspoweruser.com/ee-lumia-640-picks-visual-voicemail-windows-10-mobile/ which EE refuse to confirm. This has to have the firmware installed and the feature enabled, so how did this happen when EE have not released it to the public?

I have repeatedly requested when this will be released and although there has been no denial that the firmware was received from Microsoft, there is no admission either. The manager I spoke with stated that they have ways of getting an answer and assured me they would. Nearly 12 months later there has been a continual stream of replies saying they can’t get an answer. So much for their assurances!

I believe this is Apple “leaning” on EE to continue their market dominance and prevent any other manufacturer having the feature. You can imagine Apple withdrawing their handsets from EE as punishment, EE would collapse, so they won’t risk releasing it and suffering the wrath of Apple. If you don’t believe this, managers at EE will freely admit that if an Apple representative walked in the call centre and asked them all to get up and undress then they would! Yes, they have stated that they wouldn’t refuse them ANYTHING!

Getting an answer from EE about VVM for Windows Phone you will have more chance of climbing the North Face of the Eiger wearing nothing but your underpants! EE are treating its customers like mushrooms!
WP is NOT going away but EE are doing their level best to try and get rid of it! This is the start of Windows Phone being pulled from EE and they are trying to push them out!

7 REPLIES 7
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: My EE App for Windows Phone Pulled!

Hello @NavalAirman if this brings any reassurance I just opened the MYEE app on both my 535 and 550 and everything is okay no pop ups or anything. 🙂
by grzegorzm
Explorer

Hello, I have also seen same message this morning,  and you can also find info on ee webpage about My EE no longer supported for blackberry and windows mobile?! what, why is this? I would assume "some" customers are better than none, even with windows mobile being niche mobile market.

by jarvisblue

Hi Thanks for the detailed view re EE and Windows phone being pulled. I have been a loyal customer from the Orange days.   I popped into local EE shop this week and notice that all Microsoft phones have been pulled!!  So I suspect your correct that they do not want the Windows phone. I will now look for another phone company that stocks  Microsoft. I will pass on this development to a consumer organisation.  By the way the actual selection is quite limited. Again thanks 

Investigator

In fairness to EE there is a handset supply issue as MS are bringing on board new hardware manufacturers and the long awaited Surface Phone is almost there, but just not yet. I think since the numbers of 6 series and 9 series are dwindling even MS themselves have pulled them in some countries due to very low or no stock. When MS purchased "Lumia" they had the handsets to work with that Nokia/Lumia had in production and stopped the development of some others as that wasnt in their road map. They didnt want to be a phone producer, but wanted to work with hardware suppliers in the way Google/Android have done up to recently.

There is a rumour that Sony will release a flagship one for MS along with a Surface Phone Pro for business, but that wont be until Q3/Q4.

The fact that the app has been pulled clearly demonstrates that EE are snubbing Windows Phones and they dont care what the customer wants, they just want your money! The hypocracy if rife with the senior management, they use Windows PC's and Laptops, use MS Outlook and run Windows Servers and then snub Windows Phones. The fact that the WP10 app is in use and only needs supported/developed and not designed from scratch means that pulling it now is a VERY clear move that they want to eradicate the Wondows Phone platform from their network and this is just the start.

EE will refuse to issue a statemnt on this as they just want it to go away quietly and the whole Windows Phone platfor to follow suit. As I said previously, trying to get EE to discuss this then you will have more chance of climbing the Morth Face of the Eiger wearing nothing but your underpants!

by dibby20159 Investigator
Investigator

I have just had this message on my Windows phone too.    I find the MyEE app on the phone very useful particularly for topping up on the go.   I just am not able to top up on the web site anything like as conveniently.   If this does indeed go ahead - or iff EE withdraws support for Windows phones altogether and I have to buy a new phone, it certainly won't be from EE nor will I use EE as my provider.

by grzegorzm
Explorer

Indeed. App is essential. A lot quicker than using mobile webpage. A lot more accurate.But ee lately is ignoring ANY requests from customers. I think someone forgot how important it is to have right contact with all of us
Wysłane z telefonu z systemem Windows 10
Investigator

It was interesting when I telephoned CS and asked why it was being pulled and the agent wasnt aware, so I asked if they could find a WP handset and check and their response was "I would have to do that in my own break time". They dont want to support us.

It seems they REALLY dont want to support WP! I requested to speak to a manager and did, he ASSURED me he would call me back by the end of the day and you guessed it they have never called back. They just dont want to talk about it. I beleive that since the BT merger then things have been getting restructured and in that Blackberry and Windows are casualties. Pulling the app in isolation makes no sense, because it has been developed and only need maintained, but as a wider policy to drop Windows is making sense and they WILL dump Windows at the first opportunity.

EE's plan is to fail to engage with WP customers, isolate us, wind down any support then give us the choice of moving to iOS/Android or leaving. Pulling the app is their first salvo in their plan moving forward.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.