by rpatel
Explorer

Manage device not updating

Hi I bought a new phone directly from the manufacturer and therefore did not purchase the phone through EE. I have a sim only contract and insure my phone through third party providers as EE can only insure devices bought directly from them. 

I have been reading the terms and conditions of my insurance and it states that I would require a proof of usage in the event of a claim with the IMEI number on it. I called EE however they were only able to leave a note on my account. I have connected to EE multiple times through cellular so EE can recognise the device I am using but I have had no luck. What do I need to do to add the IMEI and the device I am using which I bought directly from the manufacturer on my account ? 

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Manage device not updating

@rpatel: That MyEE Mange Device display is purely cosmetic & does not affect the use of your phone in any way. It will eventually show the device's model after you connect to it enough but it'll never show the IMEI. Doubt EE even knows it or cares as it's not theirs & they are only supplying you with a SIM..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by rpatel
Explorer

Hey! 

Yeahh im just a bit confused considering that the insurer would want a proof of usage with the IMEI on it. But I can’t seem to add my IMEI on the account. Paying 25 a month for insurance I don’t want to waste that money if I’m not able to get the correct documentation in the event of a claim from the third party insurer 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You'll need to discuss that with your insurance co. on how they expect proof of usage of a phone from a network that only knows the usage of your SIM.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @rpatel

Proof of usage tied into the IMEI isn't an enforceable term under the mobile phone insurance contract. Your insurers know this but they use this term as a barrier to settlement. The FCA have criticised this term and approach in their thematic review on mobile phone insurance. The FOS will not find in their favour should this be their only reason to decline. Not everyone uses their device as a phone as that's not it's sole purpose. 

The easiest way to verify usage is to set up a three way call with your carrier and insurer, they can then ask whatever questions they want. They however hate this as it's "off script". 

As you purchased your device separately the receipt should be sufficient. 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.