Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Charger finder add-on to My EE app

Hello everyone,

My name is William and I am a student at The University of Huddersfield. For my final year showcase I have decided to do a project on designing a charger locator add-on to the already existing My EE app. The idea is that when a user who has the app installed has a low battery, they will be notified by the app of the locator and if they tap it are then taken to a map showing areas nearby where they can charge their device.

EE stores will act as permanent and promoted area to charge your device (Charge stations will be provided in stores), while users can also self populate the app with public areas where devices can be charged. This will be self policed similar to apps like Waze where other users can confirm or flag locations added to the map.

This benefits EE as it generates more traffic to their stores and gives them chance to reward loyal customers. It also makes new and already existing customers happy as they are able to charge their device while they wait in store or device to shop elsewhere.

For this project it will be incredibly useful if I could access any analytics of the My EE application so I can further understand the target audience and create more accurate user journeys. 

Furthermore as this project idea acts as an add-on to the app I will need to use the same house style and aesthetic to create a seamless experience for the user. If I could have access to the applications style guide or EE's style guide in general that would be very useful. 

If any representatives of EE can provide any help on the information I have given or at least point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Also if any EE users who read this can provide any help, tips, advice I am open to hear it.

Thank you for reading.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Charger finder add-on to My EE app

Hi @will_goggs8 

Why would any EE store want hundreds of people turning up to charge their phone? Is this even practical?

• What about security or do you just hang about the store keeping an eye on your phone?
  • What about the increased electric bills for EE stores?

If you were to make this more practical you should promote wireless charging in establishments and then that would increase foot traffic, you could even sell/modify the establishment to accept wireless charging. On the back of this they could join (As members) of your app (for a fee).

Think about the bigger picture.

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Welcome to the EE Community, @will_goggs8.

It's great to read about your idea, and I hope your project goes well.

Unfortunately it wouldn't be possible to gain access to any app analytics or style guides.

Jon

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@will_goggs8   style guides,  your basically asking EE to allow you to copy their design which will be copyrighted.  If you create this app you’ll need to go it alone and allow users to sign up to participate.

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

That's fair enough. You don't know unless you ask.

Thank you Jon

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hiya Chris,

Thanks for the message. Just to clarify I only intend on designing the add-on to the My EE app. I won't be building an app. But I appreciate the concern with copyright. The project more about improving an already existing thing than creating something new. I will just have to do my best using what designs the app already has in place to create something that would be seemless for a user.

Thanks again.

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hi @Northerner thank you for your input,

The project is more about improving or building upon an already existing thing. I had the charger finder idea as its own app but integrating it into the My EE app as a concept seemed to fit.

With the project scope only being on implementing this addition to the app, I am not overly concerned with how it would work if actually implemented. However I may have some thoughts on the issues you raised.

EE may enjoy the extra traffic as it allows opportunities to talk to existing customers and gauge interest in new products or contracts. Maybe a member of staff speaks to someone who's come in to charge their 4 year old phone and shows them options to upgrade. Also with the concept of store reviews and word of mouth people who use the charger finder may tell others about it who aren't EE customers. Giving even opportunity to sell to new customers.

With regards to security products like Chargebox use lockers that the user connects to and puts their phone in. Then they can go about any other plans they had.

I'm not fully aware of the implications of electrical bill increase. However I think the increase in traffic and access to new customers would offset this comfortably.

I have no issues with wireless charging and it would be a great addition to have in stores. However not everyone has a mobile device that makes use of wireless charging or even understands how it works. As it becomes more popular in the future it would be very beneficial though.

Sorry for the autobiography I've written here but I hope I've addressed some issues/ideas you have. I'm by no means an expert in this kind of thing but hopefully some of my thoughts are somewhat viable.

Thanks for your help 

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@will_goggs8   Oh.  But that in itself is something EE wound never allow you to do as your asking EE to allow you to have access to their API and allow you to install your own add on to their app.  Sorry but that’s only your word you’ll not install something malicious.   Then you’ll need users to allow this to have access to the my EE app on their device.  That’s than asking EE customers to allow access to the My EE app on the device which is basically access to their my EE account. 

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hey @Chris_B, I think you missunderstand. Apologies I will try to clear it up.

I have no intention on actually creating this add-on to add to the My EE app. I am mearly designing a concept for the idea in something like Adobe Illustrator to see what it would look like and prove how it would function. The thing's I have requested have just been to help me with mapping different user journeys and help with the UX/UI aspects of the design process. 

Besides, the only permission issue I could see would be asking the user's permission for the app to access their battery level. Therefore to see when they meet a low enough threshold to recommend the charger finder part of the app.

If somehow EE see this and like the idea/see potential and would like to see my research, justifications and final design to create something themselves for the My EE app I am more than happy to provide.

I was just using this forum as a place to get advice and information.

Thanks @Chris_B 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.