Highlighted
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Working from home - Any useful tips?

So I find myself working from home for the foreseeable future, like so many others.

So what are your tips for surviving at home and not being too distracted by everything else around you, or eating too many biscuits as you listen in on another conference call?

Looking forward to some useful tips I can try out to make my day a little easier and bearable!

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
by EE Community Manager
EE Community Manager

Re: Working from home - Any useful tips?

I have a couple of tips I can share @chistery 

• Make sure that you take the breaks you would normally take in the office and finish at the right time at the end of your day. It can be tempting to work a little longer because you aren't having to travel. 

• Exercise! The kitchen is too close and biscuits do call loudly from the cupboard. Set some time aside to do a few exercises every day if you can.

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's hints and tips on this one! 

Community guidelines Community stars programme

Meet the EE Community teamHow to use the community
Highlighted
by
Visitor

Hey @chistery 

As somebody that works from home at least 3 days a week - here's mine

1. Set up some dedicated 'work' space. Settees/bedrooms etc are never good for me! Having an area that is for work makes it much easier and then pens/pads aren't everywhere in the house too
2. TV off, radio on. 
3. Don't beat yourself up - work what you need to work. If you need to put the washing in, put the washing in. Go for a walk. Give yourself 30 minutes for lunch. I often feel guilty doing mundane stuff like that when I'm at home but you shouldn't
4. Talk to people - I often find myself worrying about what people are thinking of me at work, whether I'm doing the right things etc but conversations help. Be honest about how you're feeling, look for feedback regularly & just give yourself a bit of a break
5. Custard creams - lots of them 🙂

Highlighted
by EE Community Manager
EE Community Manager

Great tips there @LiamD!

I totally agree with making sure you talk to people, it's really important to stay connected. Whether that's with your colleagues or anyone else. 

I have an excellent timer for when I've finished work. The cat seems to know precisely when I have done a full shift (no matter what time I start) and will come and headbutt the laptop until I either explain to him that I'm not finished (yes, I do explain to the cat) or I close the laptop. 

Highlighted
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I work for Greggs, can I work form home 🤣

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10/One UI 2.1)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Highlighted
by EE Community Manager
EE Community Manager

Do you have a big enough oven @BrendonH? LOL 

Highlighted
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Some good tips there @LiamD

I'm quite bad at my work/life balance. My watch tells me if I've been inactive too  much, can often see periods where I've just been sat at my desk for 2 or three hours. Need to try and remember to get up and just walk about and detach from work for a bit.

I do like having the radio on though, Radio 2 for me, as I'm of a certain age 👴

Highlighted
by
Explorer

Hi,

I find sticking to a routine is important. Dress as you would for work, and if you can, set up in either a spare room or a garden office, anywhere but the living room or kitchen. Also, if you have children, make it clear that while you are "in your office" that you should not be disturbed. Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions