cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

What are your thoughts??

CalamityJane
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi ee Community,

I just bought a new phone (new to me-not the newest thing), and to protect my new phone, I bought a wallet style case for it.

This morning, it hits me:  The case closes with a magnet.  Was the purchase of this case a mistake?  Meaning, aren't magnets "kryptonite" to cell phones?

What are your thoughts??

Thanks,

CalamityJane

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Profile closed
Not applicable

Usually, case designers are sensible. The magnets are probably just strong enough to close the case. In fact, I just found out that since phones use flash storage, it can't be wiped by a magnet alone, unless you change the magnetic field rapidly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @CalamityJane 

I've been using magnet-fastened belt cases with my smartphones for quite a few years now, I've not had any phones damaged.

Profile closed
Not applicable

Usually, case designers are sensible. The magnets are probably just strong enough to close the case. In fact, I just found out that since phones use flash storage, it can't be wiped by a magnet alone, unless you change the magnetic field rapidly.

Hi gudishvibes,

It's CalamityJane (CJ).  Pleased to meet you. Think this is first time we've chatted.  Thanks so much for your feedback -and- as a bonus, bristolean said the same thing.  So...excellent news -- I can keep the case that I bought from another large company that's been a great help to me as a "semi-permanent resident of the UK" (a.k.a. Foreign national (I'm from the US)  "stranded by The Coronavirus", and will stay in my home-away-from-home (the UK) until the Virus is under control.

The Seller who sold me the case thru that other large company (i.e. think "Rain Forest), told me the case had "just the right amount of magnet" but that made me a bit nervous because he c/b just trying to sell me something.  Thanks to you & bristolean, I now think the Seller was spot on.

Many thanks -- Thumbs Up to both you and Bristolean, and I'm marking this as a Solution.

CJ