cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Switching clusterf***

Kathymel
Investigator
Investigator

As my EE contract drew to a close in June this year, I bought a Sim only package from Vodafone. I have never changed my service provider before, but the switching instructions seemed straightforward.

I thought I need only obtain an unlock code from EE and insert my new Sim card into my phone to complete the switch. Vodafone would apparently deal with the rest of it, including porting my number. I assumed my contract with EE would end when it was contracted to end. 

The first time I inserted the new Sim, It didn’t work. I remember texting EE at the time for some code or other and the next time I inserted the Sim it did work. I thought that would be the end of it.

At around the same time, I changed my address. I did not inform EE as I thought (and hoped) I was done with them. However, I recently picked up some post from my former address and found four letters from EE concerning unpaid debts totalling over £150 for the last 2/3 months. The last, dated 19th September, threatens that my account will be transferred to a debt collection agency. 

I RECEIVED NOT ONE EMAIL INFORMING ME THERE WAS AN ISSUE. 

As online access to the account I apparently still hold has been frozen, I cannot access any details, such as contract dates, so I have sent a Subject Access Request to EE to obtain them. I have also contacted Vodafone to ask if the problem is at their end. (If only EE had a contact email address, I would copy both them and Vodafone into an email asking them to sort this out between them. Obviously, in this age of instant communication, that appears not to be possible.)

I very rarely use my phone to make calls as I have a phone phobia, and I only found out last month when I called my son that my phone number has not been ported and I have a new one. (I am a little confused as to how my WhatsApp still functions if that is the case.)

When I have received the Subject Access Request from EE and can see my contract details I will know better where I stand. In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions as to what else I might do, other than phoning 150, I would be grateful. 

The fact that it is not possible to email EE about this is a huge problem for me. Even if I were happy to use the phone, there is not sufficient signal where I live.    

6 REPLIES 6
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Kathymel 

There seems to be many issues here which are of your own making. The only way to address these issues out is over the phone, like it or not. 

Your contract doesn't just end, your minimum contract term ends. If you wanted to end your contract then you need to give 30 days notice. From your story this clearly isn't the first mobile contract you have owned, so you must know this.

It's unclear if you had ported your number? You seem to imply you had or is it the case you were already in debt with EE before taking out the Vodafone SIM? EE or their debt collection firm would have tried to contact you on your mobile number or via the post.

You say you visited your old address having moved, who does this unless it's a family address? In that case you had months worth of red letters. 

Your only solution here is to:

1. Pay your outstanding debt. You can do this via online banking or in bank as you have the letters to say how much you owe. 
  2. Once paid port your number out of EE to your new Vodafone tariff, or cancel it with EE (that's if EE haven't already cancelled it)

Unfortunately I don't see how EE are responsible for your situation. The solution I have given above will rectify your situation, but you may also find that your credit file maybe impacted by the defaults. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

So many assumptions. 

I was not in debt before I changed providers. 

I used to live next next door to my ex. I no longer do. (I no longer have an address at all.) He was given the letters by the new tenant at my old property. 

I have never ever had to give notice to a provider before because I have simply switched to a new contract with the same provider. I have always been with EE or its predecessors. 

No no one tried to contact me about this debt by phone or email. If they had, I would have dealt with it. 

Thanks for your help. 

Kathymel
Investigator
Investigator

Incidentally, given this forum is hosted by EE, how do they feel about someone who is genuinely confused about what has happened getting met with suspicion and the implied suggestion that she is a liar and possibly a fraud, too?

If this was a privately run forum, I would be more inclined to ignore this abuse. But it’s not is it, EE? By ignoring this you are condoning it. Hardly a respectful way to run a company. 

Hi @Kathymel 

I'm not sure how you have come to that conclusion. I was trying to help you, but seeking clarification on the contradictory post you have made.  I haven't suggested or implied anything. 

You original post is aggressively suggesting EE is at fault (using capital letters -shouting, for example), but in reality you need to take ownership for your own problem, rather than trying to blame someone else. 

I've given you the solution to your problem, if you ignore it then that's your decision. 

You should also read:

WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I CAN'T PAY MY BILL?

Stepchange

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

Your original post you say you only needed an unlock code to leave EE.

No this is not the case. An unlock code allows you to unlock the phone to all networks this doesn't end your contract neither does it port your phone number.

You need a PAC code you then give this PAC code to Vodafone. This would then transfer the number on the next working day if done before 5pm. In turn also cancelling the contract.

So as already stated this is your own doing and not the fault of EE as without giving notice or using a PAC code EE doesnt know you are leaving.

WhatsApp worked because that's how it is set up. It is assigned to a number but you dont have to use a sim with the same number. You just give it the number and it recognizes that it's you.

So the point above stand you need to pay off your debts.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Kathymel,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

I'm sorry to hear Vodafone didn't port your number as you requested. As you didn't use your PAC code, we would have to assume that you no longer wanted to transfer to another network, therefore we kept your phone number active with EE.

Our Customer Care Team will be happy to help you close your account. If you'd prefer not to call, you can chat online with our collections team here.

Hope this helps.

James