cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Recording calls apps for research interviews

KR44
Investigator
Investigator

Due to the ethics not allowing face to face interviews I have been advised to record my conversation on my iphone using an app that also transcribes the call. I have downloaded but the merge function will not work. I am waiting to hear back from the app support team but someone suggested it may be that EE doesnt allow. Advice greatly appreciated! Thank you 

K

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@KR44   if the app is using three-way calling to record the conversation as the recording is not stored on the device but via a sever that you are calling to record the conversation on then unfortunately it will not work as EE don’t support 3 way calling.    EE support group calling please see HERE   

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@KR44   This will not be a function that EE is blocking as it is on board the device that is doing it.  Just inform the people your talking to that you are recording the conversation. 

ewanrw
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

If it requires the “merge call” function, then it won’t work as EE don’t support it anymore. 

I should add that I’m assuming the recording app is GDPR compliant, and that to prevent data being stored on your device, it is using the call merge function to dial a number that records the call, and you will be able to access via a secure portal etc. 

ewan

@KR44   What’s the name of the app ?  

Thank you for your reply Ewan, you have stated something different to another response. Is there anywhere I can see this information (that EE dont support), also Yes to the GDPR and the interviewees know as they have consented to the research and I have followed University ethics - difficult as I can not access the normal university recording equipment. 

@KR44   if the app is using three-way calling to record the conversation as the recording is not stored on the device but via a sever that you are calling to record the conversation on then unfortunately it will not work as EE don’t support 3 way calling.    EE support group calling please see HERE   

Thank you Chris much appreciated. I have now found another way. Thank you for this information. 

@Chris_B wrote:

I suspect this is exactly how the call recording app would work, but it begs the question for me - I would hope the app is upfront and open about this.

If it uses an 0800 number, probably the only safe one, then that incurs costs which need to be covered somehow.

If it uses a landline or mobile number, the end user would need to be made aware of this incase they're not on an unlimited plan.

If it uses any other number, that's going to be chargeable from the off.

I have a suspicion this sort of app wouldn't get much traction in the UK.

What was the solution you found for this please? I’m having the same issue so any app recommendations would be really appreciated 

Please can you recommend a call recording app that might work on EE?