cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

MWC Barcelona 2019 (25-28 Feb)

Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

https://www.mwcbarcelona.com/

I will keep my eye on this event as there are bound to be some tech prototypes/ startup ideas around 5G, which will feature prominently in this year's event.  

Might also be something around bitcoin if the Samsung wallet rumour is correct.

Is this something which interests you? If so, what are you looking forward to hearing about?

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
9 REPLIES 9
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Huawei Mate X foldable 5G phone

Looks like it will give Samsung a run for its money. Also likely cheaper. 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

Some great handsets. 

Nokia 9 pureviewcapture.png

The Nokia 9 PureView’s Penta-Lens setup comprises two 12MP RGB sensors and three 12MP monochrome lenses, all of which feature autofocus and f/1.8 aperture. The smartphone captures all photos in HDR, and all five sensors of the phone capture separate images, which are fused into one 12MP photo. The device lets you capture uncompressed RAW images in DNG format, which you can edit directly on the phone using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom application.

For selfies, the handset is equipped with a 20-megapixel camera.

Looks great. 

Let's not forget storage: 

gsmarena_001.jpg

Yes that's 1TB!! 

According to Gsmarena:

Peak read speed is 160 MB/s vs. 100 MB/s for Micron's, but the latter beats the former when it comes to write speeds with just 5 MB/s. The maximum write speed of the Micron microSD card is 95 MB/s.

That should take care of most people's storage needs

@Northerner wrote:

Nope the Mate X is more expensive according to Sammobile.

The Mate X also folds the screen so its wrapped round the outside where as the Samsung one folds inwards like a book.

The mate x also has only been tested to 100,000 folds where and the Samsung 200,000 folds.

To break that down.

Samsung Fold.

100 folds a day for 5 years.

Mate X

50 folds a day for 5 years.

After much thought though as I was tempted by the Galaxy fold I didnt want to buy the first gen fold phonem as there will be some issues.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

@Northerner wrote:

Let's not forget storage: 

gsmarena_001.jpg

Yes that's 1TB!! 

According to Gsmarena:

Peak read speed is 160 MB/s vs. 100 MB/s for Micron's, but the latter beats the former when it comes to write speeds with just 5 MB/s. The maximum write speed of the Micron microSD card is 95 MB/s.

That should take care of most people's storage needs

No good in phones though.

Most only support up tona certain size.

The S10 only supports 500gb extra.

So I can make my 1TB phone to 1.5. But somehow dont think inill.

Although I can now start listening to music on my phone as I am getting the buds. So I'll be using up a lot more storage. I hate using the wired ones andi didnt want to shell out on the buds on their own.

Let's not forget about our friends at LG. They have two handsets of interest, the first is the upgraded V40, now with new internals and called the V50 ThinQ 5G. As the name suggests it's 5G compatible.

DzjPMcYX4AEubfs.jpglgv50.jpg

This case has a second screen which attaches to the main phone by way of phone case. This gives you two screens. It's nice to see LG Innovating like with the G5. 

Then you have the LG G8 which is the new G line of devices. This comes with a new unlocking trick hand ID. 

lg-g8-thinq-2.jpg

@BrendonH wrote:

@Northerner wrote:

Nope the Mate X is more expensive according to Sammobile.

The Mate X also folds the screen so its wrapped round the outside where as the Samsung one folds inwards like a book.

The mate x also has only been tested to 100,000 folds where and the Samsung 200,000 folds.

To break that down.

Samsung Fold.

100 folds a day for 5 years.

Mate X

50 folds a day for 5 years.

After much thought though as I was tempted by the Galaxy fold I didnt want to buy the first gen fold phonem as there will be some issues.

@BrendonH

These are V1 devices so there will always be an element of testing the waters and hardware. I would anticipate next year's (if they continue) versions will be much improved and considerably cheaper.

Not sure I should post this one but HTC new 5G router looks amazing. EE have already announced their partnership with Huawei to provide their white brick but this HTC device sold by the competing carrier looks the part in any smart home. 

10271278-0-image-a-10_1551118351319.jpg

Boasting a 5-inch HD touchscreen which allows 4K video streaming and gaming, it also doubles as a mobile hotspot for up to 20 people.Intuitive voice command and remote-control features make it quick and easy to manage entertainment and productivity needs.   

My guess is just like they did with the Note Edge they will eventually bring the fold into their flagship line up.  I'm thinking maybe S12 onwards.

Possibly the Note version more than the S line up.