by MrsMushroom
Explorer

You can't "pause" an EE flex plan - only cancel it.

I was led to believe that I could "pause" the plan part way through - for example when I would be out of service coverage for three weeks or so (sailing across the Atlantic, for example!) - then reactivate it as soon as I needed to. I accepted that I'd need to find a wifi network or similar, or just use some PAYG credit, to start the app to do this, but that's fine.

I  spoke to the team at Customer Services, to ask how I did this using the app or website - they said that nobody has ever asked them this question before, but they thought it sounded as though I should be able to do what I had expected. Clearly they don't read this forum!

They have just called me back after checking internally, and say that this doesn't do what the wording suggests. I can't "pause" the service - I can cancel it so it doesn't renew but then the plan will tick away until the end of the current 30day period before stopping.

That's not what I needed, I could do that with a PAYG bundle anyway. This is really misleading.

I am not expecting anyone to change anything to make this different, it is what it is, but I wanted to make this posting so that when the next person searches Google, or this forum, they might see this and understand how it works (or not!)

6 REPLIES 6
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: You can't "pause" an EE flex plan - only cancel it.

Hi @MrsMushroom,

Welcome to the community 🙂

I'm sorry it wasn't explained to your in detail when you took out the Flex plan.

All of the Flex plan details are explained on our help page with information on how to stop and start your plan too.

If you have notice of travelling or that you wont be using your plan, you can cancel the plan. If you know when your renewal date is, you can time this so you wont have wasted usage on a plan while you are not using it.

Alex 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@MrsMushroom  Where did you get the information that you could pause it part way through?  And I’ll assume you mean part way through a monthly cycle not at the end of a cycle before the next monthly cycle starts. 

Highlighted
by MrsMushroom
Explorer

Where did I get the information that I could pause it part way through the period?

A number of sources...

- an agent on the EE Chat when I called to ask the specific question

- staff in 2 EE shops 

- the use of the word "pause" on all the collateral - from the OED;

VERB

[NO OBJECT]

• Interrupt action or speech briefly.

‘she paused, at a loss for words’
    1.1 with object Temporarily interrupt the operation of (a process or device)
    ‘she had paused a tape on the VCR’

The fact that all the information says "pause or stop" which rather implies that they are two different actions.

Not trying to start a fight with anyone, the team on Customer Services were very helpful and have explained the meaning this morning - but I searched for quite a few hours trying to find out whether this wording actually meant the feature I thought it did. So I asked on chat, in stores and eventually spoke to CS via Twitter which turned into a phone call.
I posted here so that when someone googles the question they might see the answer and save themselves some time.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Alex_S wrote:

All of the Flex plan details are explained on our help page with information on how to stop and start your plan too.

Which states:

When you stop your plan it won't renew, so you'll be able to take a break and restart a new plan when you're ready.

That's a "Pause" in the dictionary sense. It doesen't mean it will stop mid-pack, but will stop at the end of its period.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by MrsMushroom
Explorer

@XRaySpeX wrote:

That's a "Pause" in the dictionary sense. It doesen't mean it will stop mid-pack, but will stop at the end of its period.

The point I was making was that the word "pause" is used in a way which is not "the dictionary sense". Which is what most people usually take to be the meaning of the word.

D'you know what?

I posted this here because I thought it would be helpful to explain how I (and a few other people) misunderstood what the marketing collateral said. Because it's quite ambiguous, and I spent an age trying to get the right answer. Because I thought posting the explanation here would be helpful to anyone else, maybe save them spending the time I did.

I thought this was meant to be a friendly community of people who help each other.

I didn't come here for an argument. I certainly didn't come here to be patronised. So I am gone now.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@MrsMushroom  It doesn’t actually say you can pause it in the middle of a monthly cycle.    Taking the wording and using it how you believe it’s being said is your own interpretation of the wording.  While it could or possibly should be reworded and I’m sure it has now been fed back to those  concerned to be looked at because of your own endeavours with this. 

This Community is friendly and I like to say sorry if you believe it’s not been a nice experience for yourself.  Please remember one thing about using a community like this,   It’s sometimes the wording that is misunderstood and taken out of content and it’s not how the poster intended it to come across.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.