This page is no longer active

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Some helpful tips for iPhone unlocking

EE Help

Show me Help! Find quick ways to unlock your device.

Some of our community members have asked about questions related to the EE iPhone unlock process, however, there was no official information about it in EE support page. Therefore I'd like to share some tips about this and hopefully it will clear things up.

You can submit your iPhone unlocking request in here: EE/Orange/T-Mobile Unlock Form.

Please do make sure you read all requirements before submitting the request.

If you would like to join EE and wish to unlock your iPhone from other network, you can use the following links:

• Vodafone iPhone unlock request
  • O2 iPhone unlock request
  • Three UK iPhone unlock request

Apple devices differ from all other manufacturers in that there is no code required to enter into your device in order to unlock your iPhone. However EE have requested on your behalf to Apple that your device be prepared for unlock and the procedure below advises how you can complete this process.

Before attempting the procedure, please make sure that your iPhone is up to date with the latest software version. This can be checked by connecting your device to iTunes via a PC/Mac/Laptop.

iPhone unlock for iOS 6 and iOS 7:

If you have a non-EE SIM Card and you've received confirmation from EE that your iPhone is unlocked, follow these steps:

1. Insert a non-EE SIM card.
  2. Complete the setup process.

If you do not currently have another SIM card you can use, follow these steps to complete the process:

1. Back up your iPhone.
  2. Erase your iPhone.
  3. Complete the setup assistant and restore your backup.

iPhone unlock for iOS 5 or earlier:

• Always Back up your iPhone first. 

If you've received confirmation from EE that your iPhone is unlocked, follow these steps:

1. Insert a non-EE SIM card. This must be a network provider who also supplies the iphone/ipad.
  2. Switch ON the handset.
  3. Connect to iTunes using USB cable.
  4. Use the “restore” option within iTunes. (located at the bottom of iTunes not the top)
  5. The handset may then display: USB cable and iTunes icon.
  6. Disconnect from USB then re-connect.
  7. Synchronise device with iTunes.
  8. Once synchronised a message will appear on iTunes stating “Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked”. If using IOS5 this message will not show.
  9. Follow on screen set up instructions to enable new carrier settings.
345 REPLIES 345
by
EE Employee

Re: Some helpful tips for iPhone unlocking

Hi winston,

I've had a read through your unlocking guide and it's spot on 🙂

It's a great guide for new and more experienced users alike, thanks for your time on this.

Cheers,

Rory

Community guidelines Community stars programmeMeet the EE Community teamHow to use the community
by alexbbailey Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Does anybody know if the unlock process has a "use by" date? I'll explain.

Last year I upgraded my sons iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5. The plan was to give the 4 to my girfriend who is on T-Mobile. Various queries came up that her SIM wouldn't work in it and I would have to have it unlocked (this from staff in the local EE store who wouldn't even lend me their SIM to try it). I paid for the unlock, gave her the phone and told her to wait until I'd had confirmation that it could be unlocked.

Nearly 1 year on and I'm doing upgrades again... I have a shiny new 5S so I'm going to give her my 4S and then use the 4 for work (it's better than the Blackberry they sent me). So, I back up the phone, insert my work SIM card (BT Mobile/Vodafone) only to see the message "Invalid SIM".

No amount of turning off and on, resetting, wiping clean and re-loading seems to do the job.

Does anybody have any ideas? I'll be damned if I'm going to pay to have it unlocked a second time and I'm told that recently even getting a paid unlock from Orange is less fun than amputating your own arm. 

Incidentally, when I unlocked my 4S from Vodadone they did it in 4 days and it cost me nothing. Why do EE charge an arm and a leg and take so long over it?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

When you inserted the new sim did you sync it with itunes again?
Brendon

If you think I helped please take time to press the button below
Community guidelines

EE Contact Details...

150 from EE Mobile
0800 956 6000 (Option 5) from any other phone
0800 079 8586 Home Broadband & EE TV

Established Contributor

I wasn't present when the phone was unlocked so I can't answer that but I suspect it wasn't and also don't believe that would actually make any difference.

(Edit: I do not actually know if the phone was unlocked at the time, I only assume it has been since the EE representative was adamant that the Orange locked phone would not work with a T-Mobile SIM; the fact the phone has been in use was to me evidence enough that it had been unlocked).

I have unlocked 2 other iPhones recently and have not actually had to connect them to iTunes in order for the process to work, it's all now done over the air. To double check this I've actually just inserted an Orange SIM in my until-recently Vodafone-locked device and it's still working. I only operate this "over the air" and all backups are via iCloud, the only reason I'd use iTunes would be to sync music and video which I do not need to do on this device.

by Knuttt
Explorer

One other tip:-

If you've had your iPhone exchanged during the contract (usually by Apple) then the usual ulock process doesn't work.

You have to email a copy of the receipt (from Apple) to a seperate email address (EMT.Proofs@ee.co.uk).

This team seem even worse than the unlock team though. 😞

I've sent two emails explaining that I've already waited 20 days for the unlock and both time asked for a confirmation email or phone call (I know, wishful thinking) but haven't heard back from them.

I'm about to start the phone call merry-go-round but thought it might be worth pointing out if you've had your phone swapped out.

Good luck everyone.

Andy

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast - Arnold "ACE" Rimmer
Established Contributor

No, this was the original phone supplied with the contract (via Carphone Warehouse). There was no replacement at any time,

So, does anybody know if Orange/EE actually look at these messages and reply to queries? I neither want to have to pay a second time nor do I want to spend hours trying to track down somebody via the very unhelpful customer services number. I note that the ability to contact customer services on-line seems to be lacking with all EE-owned networks.

I'm almost regretting my decision to move my other iPhones and iPad over from Vodafone now.

by Knuttt
Explorer

I have to say after waiting the 20 days and submitting the receipts but not acknowledged I called 150 and spoke to someone there, took a fair bit of examining and he said it could still take 10 more days even as a rush job but my iPhones were unlocked the very next day!
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast - Arnold "ACE" Rimmer
by Asif
Explorer

I purchased iphone 4 second hand . Contract and other services are expired but status is sim locked. Can i unlock it. I m from pakistan.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

No you can't.

You have to use the phone for 6 months before they will unlock it
Brendon

If you think I helped please take time to press the button below
Community guidelines

EE Contact Details...

150 from EE Mobile
0800 956 6000 (Option 5) from any other phone
0800 079 8586 Home Broadband & EE TV

by Tootsl1 Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I have a current account with tmobile for my iPhone 5. I am spending several months in the USA, and don't like the Nokia I was given. I there fore sent in a request to EE to have my old iPhone 3s unlocked it is no longer used as a phone, but was on my original t mobile contract. I received an email confirming receipt of the order saying they would contact me within 20 days. Nothing. No money deducted from the account, no email. As it is nigh on impossible to contact EE from abroad ( options offered are visit a store er 3,000 miles away, hello; phone them, er at non UK fees not flipping likely, or snail mail. Hmm too technical! ) I am at a loss as to what to do next.

Any ideas??
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Send a PM to @CustomerService and see if they can help.

It's possible that EE no longer have a record of that handset being used by you, if thats the case they will not have proceeded with the unlock. Unfortunately the unlock team don't seem to communicate with the outside world.

by Tootsl1 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for that response I appreciate the information and advice. I am not train to duck out of doing anything through official channels, but I am beginning to get frustrated now and wonder if there is any other way forward to getting unlocked?
I am not massively computer savvie or particularly technically minded.
by dayoffa Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi to all.I bought my iphone from carphonewerehouse and just now discovered thet it is sim freeSmiley Happy

Read more

by dayoffa Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi to all.I bought my iphone from carphonewerehouse on EE contract and just now discovered that it is sim free:smileyhappy: Briliant.Any one who is with carphonewerehouse check it

by Steptoe123
Visitor

I am on T mobile on a sim only but phone used to belong to my son in law who was on orange ,Every thing ok except internet on the move it won't have it ,but wi fi ok. any idea's
by EE Community Manager
EE Community Manager

Hi Steptoe123,

You could try  Settings > general > reset > reset network/carrier settings.

This will resend the internet settings down to the phone for you 🙂

Thanks

Sorcha

Community guidelines Community stars programme

Meet the EE Community teamHow to use the community
by rayner123
Visitor

I purchased a second hand iPhone 4 and wanted to get it unlocked, Idk why you have to be with EE for six months, while other networks don't have that policy....

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

It's not locked to another network so sadly their policies are irrelevant.

by surina

Hi, My phone wasn't previously locked but since i have become a t-mobile customer my phone is now locked and i am no longer using it as i have a new phone and was going to give my old phone to a friend but they are on a different network. i don't feel i should pay to unlock it as it wasn't previously locked and you locked it !!!

Surina 

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.