by QWERTY7994

Scam: 'Congratulations EE Mobile user' pop ups on iPhone

A couple of times recently on my iPhone I've clicked a link (both times this has been within the Facebook app) and I've had the following popup appear:

's3.amazonaws.com

MESSAGE!

Congratulations EE Mobile user, you have been chosen for a change to get a new iPhone 6s, Macbook Pro or iPad

Click OK to continue'

The only way to get rid of this popup is to click the 'OK' button at the bottom of it, but it then doesn't appear to do anything.

The last link I clicked that did this was to an article on fastcodesign.com, which I thought was a reputable site.

Can anyone tell me whether this is actually doing anything bad to my phone, and whether there's a way to stop it happening again?

Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Re: Scam: 'Congratulations EE Mobile user' pop ups on iPhone

Hello @QWERTY7994 this would be a query for Facebook more so as they are allowing the adverts to be run on their application platform, unlike receiving a text message that's been sent to your number directly.

also for safety/billing reasons I would advise force closing and reopening or other options such as that before clicking ok, especially when you're not on WiFi. Clicking ok is sometimes all it takes to start receiving unexpected charges from third party companies.

9 REPLIES 9
by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Hello @QWERTY7994 this would be a query for Facebook more so as they are allowing the adverts to be run on their application platform, unlike receiving a text message that's been sent to your number directly.

also for safety/billing reasons I would advise force closing and reopening or other options such as that before clicking ok, especially when you're not on WiFi. Clicking ok is sometimes all it takes to start receiving unexpected charges from third party companies.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

This identical  scam has hit me too. It has nothing to do with Facebook. I have seen it 3 or 4 times in last week whilst on Telegraph page and one other site. It is a repeatable issue.  It is when on wifi, via EE broadband, and the scam survey content refers to 'EE customer"

Does anyone have any idea where it originates? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Paulosb  Look at this dates if this thread.   While this is not related to your issue is was to the original posters issue. 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I saw the date.  The spam/scam is similar content, mentions EE specifically and I presume is common to EE customers.  

The differences are the sites it appears on.  

So to trace the origin we need to focus on the common factors. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Paulosb  The odds of this being the same issue as what you’ve experience is very very slim.  And this was via Facebook. 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I disagree. The wording was identical.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Paulosb  In that case start your own thread as this was via Facebook.    And it’s nothing to do with EE BB because my mum had the same issue but doesn’t have EE BB. 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

But is your mum an EE customer?

If yes, then the common things are that she, the OP and myself are all EE customers. That is the common thing.  It occurs on all sorts of sites, so Facebook is irrelevant to finding the cause. It might be an EE server issue (mobile and broadband).

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Paulosb  Yes she is and she’s is a PAYG customers so totally  different servers to EE broadband as you said it was a EE BB issue in your first post.   And she’s not using EE servers when connected to her WiFi and that’s when this message on her device popped up. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.