This page is no longer active

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

by
EE Community Support Team

Roaming with EE - What to do if you're having problems abroad

This information is no longer up to date, for the latest information:

EE Roaming - What to do if you're having problems abroad>

If you find yourself having problems using your phone when you're abroad, give the handy tips in this post a try.

My phone shows no service abroad, what do I do?

• Try re-starting your device

• Do a manual network search in ‘settings’

• Try turning 4G off in ‘settings’

Another handy tip is to check your device is set to automatic network selection within the device settings, for help with any of these select your phone on our Phones and Devices Help pages.

If none of these work it could mean that Roaming needs to be activated on your account.

If you're a personal pay monthly customer log into your My EE to use live chat and activate Roaming or give our customer service team a call.

Why can’t I make calls back to the UK?

• Try doing a manual network search in ‘settings’ and selecting a different network. Most countries will have more than one available network.

• Are you dialling the number correctly? Some phones/networks may require you to manually dial the number in international format +44 or 0044 to call back to the UK.

• On iPhones make sure ‘Dial Assist’ is turned on in Settings > Phone.

If you’re still having problems your international bar may still be active; if you have a personal pay monthly account log into your My EE to use live chat and remove the international bar or give our customer service team a call.

Why can’t I use data on my EE phone abroad?

Great news; you can use up to 15GB of your data allowance from your monthly price plan within 48 EU countries.

Read the full list of countries included >

If your plan is a new 4GEE Max Plan set up after the 10th May, you can use up to 15GB of your data allowance in 53 destinations including Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and USA.

If you're having trouble connecting to data or you're in a country not included within your data allowance, see our hints and tips below:

• To use data abroad if you're visiting a country not included in your allowance you will need to purchase a Data Roaming Add-on. Just access the internet on your phone or device and you’ll be directed to the EE add-on page - or got to http://add-on.ee.co.uk/status.

• 4G is only available in selected countries on certain networks. To see the list of available networks visit our Roaming Help page.

• If this doesn't work try re-starting your device and doing a manual network search.

Why can’t I access my EE voicemails abroad?

• You must have a PIN set up on your voicemail to access them whilst abroad and this needs to be done before you leave the UK.

• For help setting up a voicemail PIN see the voicemail security section on the Voicemail Help page.

Why can’t I send texts when I’m abroad?

• If you’re an iPhone user - make sure ‘Send as SMS’ is turned ‘ON’ in Settings > Messages.

• Try re-starting your phone and doing a manual network search.

How do I do a manual network search?

• iPhone – Settings > Carrier > Toggle Automatic OFF

• Android – Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Operators > Tap OK

• Windows – Settings > Mobile Network > Network Selection > Tap on start manual search

If you have any other questions or need further help, please let us know by posting below.

11 REPLIES 11
by tominagatsuko Investigator
Investigator

Re: Roaming with EE - What to do if you're having problems abroad

Hi - I am now in Hugary and set up for roaming before I left the UK. However, I cannot make any calls and texts although I received the text, saying my phone is ready for using abroad. I tried as many solutions as I can but it still doesn't work. Could you let me know what I should do next? I am currently using a 10 pounds talk & text package.

Many thanks!

Atsuko

by

Hi @tominagatsuko

Welcome to the EE Community, I hope you're having a great time in Hungary so far. 🙂

It sounds like your roaming is enabled as you can receive texts.

Please try connecting to another available Hungarian network operator, you can see instructions on how to do a manual network search below:-

• Android – Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Operators > Tap OK
  • Windows – Settings > Mobile Network > Network Selection > Tap on start manual search

Please let me know how you get on.

Chris 🙂

Investigator

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried other networks such as the Terekom HU (T-Mobile) and the Telenor HU, but I could send a message or make a call. There is also Vodafone network availalbe, but my phone said 'Network connection failed'. Perhaps this is because my phone is not a smartphone? (I am using ALCATEL onetouch, which is a really cheap one.)

At the moment, I can call to 150 and receive the texts from 150.

Best wishes,

Atsuko

by

Thanks for trying that, @tominagatsuko.

If you're able to call 150, I recommend doing so. They have access to your account and should be able to help you with get fully connected.

Chris 🙂

Investigator

Yes, but even though I am using a 10 pounds package, it requires me to top up enough money to make a call (my current credit is less than 20 pence). Why can't I make a call with the package? Sorry for troubling you.

Best.

Atsuko

by

It's no trouble, @tominagatsuko. 🙂

It sounds from your description that your roaming is enabled, but, there may be an international call restriction on your account.

The only team that can remove this is the customer service team.

You can find our contact details to call from an alternative phone on our get in touch page.

Chris

Investigator

Alright. Thanks for your help!

by Ezytom
Explorer

Hi - I am trying to call my voicemail and it keeps saying i need a PIN. I have had an account with EE for years and years and never been asked for this before.

So far each of the failed calls is charging me £1.80 for a 6 second message and then cutting me off.

I am currently a pay as you go customer who is abroad.

I have urgent messages that i need to recieve. Please advise of solution.

by

Hi @Ezytom

Welcome to the community.

Please try a manual network search and try another available network. Sometimes, depending on the network, you don't need a PIN:-

If you still can't access it, I recommend logging into your My EE account on your phone's browser (not the app) or a computer.

Once you're logged in, a chat window will pop up when an advisor is available.

If you can't get in contact with chat, please get in touch from an alternative phone.

They will be able to set you a temporary PIN so that you can fully set one up and access your voicemails.

Enjoy the rest of your trip 🙂

Chris

by tobyfung
Explorer

Hello!

I am planning my trip to Europe. I tried to follow the tips you provided but I couldn't find the list of available 4g roaming network in Roaming Help page. May I have the said list so I can manually connect to those roaming network with 4g in case my phone didn't do that automactically.

Appreciate your reply!

Best.

Toby

by
EE Employee

Hi @tobyfung and welcome to the community.

Unfortunately, we do not have a list of countries with specific network capabilities.

You can check if we do have connection in a specific county by using the roaming tool

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.