This page is no longer active

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

by Chris451
Visitor

London Underground wifi does not work - new iPhone

I recently upgraded to iPhone X on EE and cannot get it to connect to London Underground WiFi. Old phone used to connect automatically no problem. Contacted EE who: removed WiFi add on for 24h then reinstated to my account; reset network and WiFi settings; reset password etc. — I have spent a lot of time in the phone to support, but none of these steps have worked. Level 2 support claim there is a “known issue”, but refuse to provide any detail about when this will be resolved or if the issue is even relevant to my device. Please advise what the known issue is and when this will be fixed. 

31 REPLIES 31
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: London Underground wifi does not work - new iPhone

Hi @Chris451

I'm not sure what the known issue is.

However if tech level 2 are investigating, I'm sure they will be working on a fix as soon as possible.

If their are any updates, I will let you know.

Thank you for your patience.

Richard

🙂

by ss1271

I bumped to the same issue as soon as I start using the iPhone X. Also tried reset password, restart device, etc. None of them working.

Please also let me know if this issue is resolved. thx

by richdeniro
Visitor

Haven't been able to get mine working all week despite phoning 150 everyday - no one seems to be able to help on tech support.  They just tell you the same thing everyday which doesn't help, am on the verge of giving up now.

Whenever I press the EE Auto Wifi it pops up asking for a username and password, I try and put the one in that you're given when you text 9527 but doesn't work.

Tried on the Virgin Media Wifi too when you follow the EE login link - no luck there either.

Poor show considering how much I spent on my phone and EE contract considering my tube commute is probably where I use my phone the most.

by

Hi @richdeniro

Welcome to the community. I'm sorry to see that you're having these issues with the London Underground WiFi service.

We don't have access to your account here in the community.

I know you have already spoken to them, but, I can only recommend contacting the technical support team again to escalate this further.

Please keep us updated on what happens.

Chris

by raycc
Visitor

I also have the same issue connecting to wifi of London Underground after upgrading to a an iPhone X. I have called 150, they are going to call me again when I go to use the tube later.

Highlighted
by johnno_uk Investigator
Investigator

The problem in this case can be because iOS (the iPhone operating system) is not taking into account the configuration supplied by EE in what is known as a carier bundle.

When you first connect a SIM of a known (to Apple) network such as EE, then the iPhone will download a carrier bundle for the carier of the SIM.  This bundle is just a load of configuration data to make the iPhone work correctly on the carier network plus any other bundled services offered by the carier, such as in this case WiFi on the London underground.

Included in the EE carier bundle is a profile for the wifi network "EE WiFi-Auto" network.  All that is in that profile is a configuration to tell the iPhone to use "EAP SIM Authentication" for that network instead of username + password authentication.

We know this because for Android phones EE tell users to set their network settings this way, since there is no such thing as a carrier bundle for them.

If your iPhone asks for a username and password when trying to connect to the "EE WiFi-Auto" network it means that either you don't have the configuration profile for the network on your iPhone or your iPhone is ignoring it.

My husband bought an iPhone X in the USA and first connected it whilst roaming.  Although at some point he did get the EE carrier bundle installed, when he returned to London the phone asked for a username and password on the "EE WiFi-Auto" network.  It appears that his phone was ignoring the settings in the bundle.

Unlike on Android, unfortunately there are no config screens on the phone itself to be able to put the correct network settings in place (EAP SIM authentication), but one can create a config profile for the phone using a Mac and the software "Apple Configurator 2" found here https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/apple-configurator-2/id1037126344

EE WiFi-Auto.pngConfig profile for EE WiFi-Auto

This is the same config that EE will put into their carier bundle. (Which sometimes get's ignored by the iPhone which is unfortuatne for EE as there may be little they can do to fix the issue which is likely due to bugs in iOS).

This .mobieconfig file can then either be applied to the iPhone using the software and a cable, or simply downloaded using Safari on the iPhone itsef after hosting the file on a web server somewhere.

I've hosted a copy here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I13ZWxRvlmba6evMmMUrn12ggm-IKXw7

If your iPhone exhibits the problem in this thread, then following the link above from within Safari (other browsers will not work) on the iPhone and choosing to install the profile will fix the issue.

Now, clearly installing config profiles from an untrusted party is generally a bad idea.  You can download the file first to a computer ans visually inspect its content if you wish, or get somebody you trust to do that or even create it again using the Apple Configurator 2 software, putting in the details as shown in the screenshot.

In any case adding a profile to the phone fixed my Husband's iPhone to connect to the "EE WiFi-Auto" network and I hope this info proves useful to people in the future, as this problem can still crop up even today.

by Johnnydev66 Investigator
Investigator

Worryingly, I've just got an iPhone X, and having had the same problems connecting to EE Wifi on LU, stumbled across this thread from 5 months ago! This has happened before when I've changed phones, but a text to 9527 has got me set up again straight away. Not this time. 

I'm expecting a call later today when I think it'll be escalated to Level 2 support - but it's not encouraging to see that this hasn't obviously been resolved yet. Hopefully I'm wrong!

by

Hi @Johnnydev66

Thanks for taking the time to post on community 🙂

Let me know how you get on after the call.

I hope you manage to get this all sorted out.

Richard

🙂

by johnno_uk Investigator
Investigator

My suspician is that all this is based on some bug in iOS iteslef which is why it may be hard for EE to get this to work.

There are actually quite a few factors here that could make things go wrong and put the phone in a state where it does not work.

For example when somebody gets a new iPhone they can choose to set it up from a backup of their old device.  That will copy stuff like WiFi network settings, and if all worked correctly the new phone should just work like the old one for previously used WiFi networks.

The new phone is of course a different device from the old and some networks where remember which devices are allow on the network without asking for a username and password each time would need a username and password at least once.  That applies to the "VirginMedia Wifi" network on LU for example.

I suspect therefore that the vast majority of people that first ever use this service on an iPhone will not have problems with it at all.

Reading through the thread is a giveaway as most complaints are  "I got a new iPhone and it doesn't work with this service but my old one did" and shows the problem to be a device migration issue.

The sort of questions Level 2 support should ask should include things like, did you setup the new phone from a backup of your old one or not.  Does the old phone still work with the service with the SIM in it (if you still have the old phone) etc etc.

They should then crunch this data along with that they've collected from others with similar problems, and they'd then figure out what the root cause is.  My money's on a bug in the setup from backup not working quite right such that the EE settings for Wifi on LU get ignored, and that Apple are the culprits that need to make a fix to the OS.

by

Hi @Johnnydev66

I will leave this one up to the experts and see what they can do for you.

Please come back and share with us what they say/do for you.

Thank you again

Richard

🙂

by rodrigouchoa Investigator
Investigator

I'm having the same issue. I've got an iPhone X and can't connect to EE WiFi Auto. Does anyone know if this fix using the Apple Configurator works?

by Johnnydev66 Investigator
Investigator

OK, here's what Tech Support did for me, and it worked. 

Quite simple really, Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings

Next time I went onto the LU, even though EE had advised me to request a password via 9527, my phone connected automatically as the old one had, without any need for passwords. The only thing really affected by the reset was that I lost all my open pages in Safari, no biggie, and no other phone issues at all.

Hopefully this'll work for others too - be interested to know.

by

Morning @rodrigouchoa

Thanks for posting on the community.

If you can try the excellent advice from @Johnnydev66 and let us know if this works for you.

Thanks, Leanne 🙂

by

Morning @Johnnydev66

Thanks surprise.png

Thanks for giving great advice on the community.

As a thank you, I'd love to send you a little prize from the community team.

I've sent you a private message for your details, please take a look and get back to me.

Thanks, Leanne 🙂

Investigator

Just for future reference if anyone else comes across this issue. 

What I actually tried (and it worked) was the solution proposed by @johnno_uk, using the Apple Configurator 2 app. I didn't want to reset my network settings to factory defaults, it seemed too disruptive. 

I just downloaded Apple Configurator 2 from the Mac App Store, created a new WiFi profile with the settings you can see in the screenshot, and then imported that profile into my iPhone. 

It does take a bit of time to learn how to use Apple Configurator 2, but there's a "help" button inside the app itself. The whole process took me about 10 minutes. 

My phone is now connecting automatically to the EE Wifi-Auto network.

by nnosseir Investigator
Investigator

I have the same issue as below since getting an iphone XS from the US. I tried installing the file you have hosted below but with no luck 😞 Have you had any issues since IOS12 at all?

Investigator

No problem after iOS 12. Still working on the underground like before. 

by

Good Morning @nnosseir.

Welcome to the community.

Are you able to try updating to iOS 12?

Jon

by nnosseir Investigator
Investigator

Hi

The phone already had IOS12 installed.
FYI I installed the file hosted on the below link once opened in Safari and it has done the trick. After selecting EE WiFi Auto it auto connects and no longer asks for username and password

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I13ZWxRvlmba6evMmMUrn12ggm-IKXw7/view

I tested if this was indeed the solution by later removing the installed configuration and I lost connectivity to the Wifi. Meanwhile EE still have not come back to me...
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.