This page is no longer active

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Highlighted
by phillbm Investigator
Investigator

Interrupted Downloading with EE Brightbox

Since installing an EE Brightbox, at the same time as WIndows 8, I have had problems downloading large files. After a few mb (typically around 5-30) have downloaded the download stops. I can start it again by pressing pause and then resume, and another chunk downloads. I have to keep repeating pause/resume throughout the download and eventually the whole file downloads. This makes routine tasks such as updating iTunes much harder than it should be. On the other hand streaming films works fine. As I also have problems downloading updates to my iPad, I suspect the problems is with the EE Brightbox rather than with Windows 8.1, but I might be wrong. I'd appreciate any help on this.

2 SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
by tt1234567
Visitor
Solution

Re: Interrupted Downloading with EE Brightbox

I've just had a similar problem after connecting a new Windows 8 PC to the Brightbox. Downloading the 3.5 GB Windows 8.1 upgrade was verty painful and downloads on Windows 7 computers were also interrupted.

Eventually I solved the problem by disabling the UPnP on the router. There seems to be some sort of incompatibility between Windows 8 and some routers. It's not very well publicised, but see here http://woodygems.wordpress.com/tag/orange-brightbox/

So far it's worked for me.

by phillbm Investigator
Investigator
Solution

I had the same advice when I phoned up EE, along with a couple of other changes.

Under "Advanced Settings -> Wireless" They got me to change my Channel from Auto --> 11, and my bandwidth from 20 --> 20/40. After that they asked me to disable uPnP, again under advanced settings. The downloads now work OK
5 REPLIES 5
by
EE Employee

Hi phillbm

Welcome to the EE Community.

This sounds like one for our Home Broadband Team, I'd recommend giving them a call on 0844 873 8586 from your EE Home Phone so they can check this out for you.

Please l;et us know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Rory

Community guidelines Community stars programmeMeet the EE Community teamHow to use the community
by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

I have this issue also. Did you get the issue fixed? It causes my PS3 to randomly disconnect from the PlayStation Network, and sometimes webpages do not load at all.

by phillbm Investigator
Investigator

I haven't solved the problem yet. When I have time I will try the suggestion of calling the helpline. I have confirmed that I have the same problem with my laptop which runs Windows 7 and has a wifi connection to the router, suggesting that the problem is with the router rather than my set-up. I have had some success with Speedbit Download Accelerator which automatically restarts the download if it stops. I will report back if I decide to have a long phone call on the support phone line. This isn't something I'm looking forward to. I wish they had a chat service.

by tt1234567
Visitor
Solution

I've just had a similar problem after connecting a new Windows 8 PC to the Brightbox. Downloading the 3.5 GB Windows 8.1 upgrade was verty painful and downloads on Windows 7 computers were also interrupted.

Eventually I solved the problem by disabling the UPnP on the router. There seems to be some sort of incompatibility between Windows 8 and some routers. It's not very well publicised, but see here http://woodygems.wordpress.com/tag/orange-brightbox/

So far it's worked for me.

by phillbm Investigator
Investigator
Solution

I had the same advice when I phoned up EE, along with a couple of other changes.

Under "Advanced Settings -> Wireless" They got me to change my Channel from Auto --> 11, and my bandwidth from 20 --> 20/40. After that they asked me to disable uPnP, again under advanced settings. The downloads now work OK
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.