This page is no longer active

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Highlighted
by sallybutler9 Investigator
Investigator

BROADBAND KEEPS BUFFERING AND DROPPING CONNECTION

My broadband keeps dropping. I spent 30 minutes on a 150 number earlier and the person didn't seem to know what they were doing as they kept saying wait a minute then going away for ages. Finally they told me to refresh my internet browser. I did this but still no different. i occassionally get a good connection but this goes every day a number of times a day. Help:?
12 REPLIES 12
by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Re: BROADBAND KEEPS BUFFERING AND DROPPING CONNECTION

I think the problem is with the Brightbox. I changed back to my old Livebox as I had this problem, and it seems to have gone away. Do webpages sometimes not load up, BBC News clips buffer then say try again?

by dggrainge
Explorer

If your line drops completely, and does it regularly, then I'm experiencing the same over the last 24 hours.    

To get it working agin, I pull the power on the router, wait maybe half a minute and then connect.   Once the usual router login process has completed, I'm back online - until next time.  Restarting my browser, refreshing a page, 'repairing' my network connection on my computer, make no difference.

I'm on ADSL not fibre and approx 5  / 4 days ago, my line speed dropped from 8.8 Meg to about 6.3 and it has remained that way.  

Even when it's working at its best I can ping www.orange.co.uk and get 100% dropped packets.   Despite that I can still access www.orange.co.uk from my browser.   That doesn't make sense to me. But it does imply there's something wrong with orange's servers.

I suspect that was down to equipment routing at the BT exchange.   I suspect that EE is trying to rewire all the Orange routers and servers - when Orange took over from wanadoo there were similar issues and Orange has/had an over-complicated and pretty incomprehensible network services.  

Investigator

thanks for getting back to me (unlike EE). I have spoken to 3 people now and they really don't seem to know what they are doing. I get through to a call centre in india, and cannot understand what they are saying and am treated like an idiot. I teach IT and have reported similar problems with my last provider. The last provider actually did a check on my line with regards to connectivity for a full 24 hours and noted my problem and sent BT Engineer out. EE just keeps repeating that my speed is okay - this may be for the moment i am on the phone, but not normally - HELP! 

Investigator

Do you recommend another router. I use the internet all the time with my work, but being self-employed means that i cannot risk a monthly rental of over £30 for a cable line?

thanks

Sally 

Investigator

Also, I have switched off a number of times but to no avail! very sporadic problems!!

thanks again

Sally

by ukisp
Explorer

Can you post the first half of your postcode? There may be a number of subscribers with similar issues - or it could just be your connection.

There are many options which are not main providers, but are hugely competitive on price and give much better service.

If you want to get some more specifics check here:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker?address=true

The new BrightBox2 router is pretty good - it has 1 Gb ethernet port (three are just 100Mb) and a USB socket with good wireless coverage.

If you ask at an Orange / EE / T-Mobile shop, they should be able to arrange one.

What speed are you expecting to get?

http://testmy.net/ - more accurate than sppedtest (and doesn't need flash)

Investigator

It seems consistently bad at the moment from the site you mentioned: Download :: 276 Kbps 35 kB/s  up arrow Upload :: 119 Kbps 15 kB/s

the other day: download .19 mbs upload .19mgbs ping 2598 ms

I'm not quite sure about my router - its a EE brightbox wireless router.

thanks for helping me. 

regards

Sally

Investigator

LN6
Investigator

Just spoken to EE and they were very helpul. but they did say the brightbox 2 it only works for fibre customers, so I don't want to purchase something not suitable.

thanks again

Sally

by moazzamtariq
Visitor

Re: BROADBAND KEEPS BUFFERING AND DROPPING CONNECT

I am having the same problem. I was using live box. There seems a problem with that. I called orange. After doing some checks, they told me that my liveboxis faulty. They told me that they are going to send me a new router. Now its a long story , but to cut it short I have received a router, which didnt work. called orange they told me that this router is faulty . and they are sendingme another router. That router never arrive however EE records shows that I have received the router. Infact there recors shows that i have received three routers.

That keep plugged in the router. The other day it immediately start working. The speed was extremely slow and connection was dropping intermittently. 

I called EE. They told me that three routers cannot be faulty. there is a problem with my land line. I tried to let them understand that I have received just one router and line has been checked by phone provider . I can receive and make calls . They were adamant that three routers cannotbe faulty. So  then cancelled the contract, as there is no point in paying for that router. 

I was quite happy with the Orange livebox. I will still be happy to remain with EE if the problems get sorted out but they arenot beleiving me.

I contract will end on 17th April. If someone have any idea to keep my router working, please share it wit me. I am sstill happy to keep my contract . 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@dggrainge wrote:

Even when it's working at its best I can ping www.orange.co.uk and get 100% dropped packets..  

That's correct. It's set up to ignore Pings; it's got more important things to do like reponding to your browser.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@dggrainge wrote:

I suspect that EE is trying to rewire all the Orange routers and servers.  

You suspect wrong! The Orange network, routers and servers are no more. EE has been using the  BTw kit and network for 3 years.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.