This page is no longer active

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Highlighted
by markp Established Contributor
Established Contributor

4G and only partial internet access - CGN issue?

Hello,

I bought one of your EE 4G PAYG dongles to try out the network.

It's blazingly fast with excellent ping times. I'm amazed at just how fast,

However, it has a bit of a serious issue in that it doesn't provide access to all of the internet.

Some sites don't work and on others, only parts of pages load.

This is a fault, but my research suggests it's a "fault by design" in that it may be related to the use of Carrier Grade NAT.

It is not an intermittent connectivity issue so far as I can see and is always readily reproducible.

So while it's very fast and I'm very impressed, I'm not going to be able to go forward with this and need to find another solution instead.

Is anyone able to comment on whether my identification of the issue is likely to be right, and when this service fault will be fixed as I'd love to be able to keep this connection.

Thanks,

Mark

4 REPLIES 4
by DanielM242 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Re: 4G and only partial internet access - CGN issue?

yeh CGN is the problem. you might also find when you log into some sites you get logged back out shortly after due to an IP change. EE's network runs similiar to o2 when it comes to CGN. essentially every site you goto youre ip may report different dispite the local ip staying the same.

Living Awesomeness (Myself)
Established Contributor

This has been driving me mad... thanks for confirmation. EE 4G only gives partial internet access. It's like the days of Vodafone Live/GPRS WAP 😉

Three's network is basically broken here, there's a fault with one of the transmitters that they refuse to acknowledge.

So I have a choice of blazingly quick speeds with EE 4G (3 bar signal) but access to only some of the internet or still fast speeds with Three with it dropping out all the time and endlessly flicking between 3G and H+ (5 bar signal).

I might have to wait for Three's 4G in December and hope that fixes whatever the fault is with their local network.

Established Contributor

Hi EE

Sadly after just a few days with this, its shortcomings are obvious, and it's a blatantly mis-sold product.

You really do need to make it clear that the service *does not offer full internet access* and make customers aware of the restrictive nature of the product.

It's such a shame, because the actual network speeds are brilliant. But I have no choice but to stick with Three 3G and keep hassling them to fix their knackered local network.

Please let me know where to send the dongle back to for a refund of the £70 paid, less data usage.

Thanks,

Mark

by DanielM242 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@markp wrote:

This has been driving me mad... thanks for confirmation. EE 4G only gives partial internet access. It's like the days of Vodafone Live/GPRS WAP 😉

Three's network is basically broken here, there's a fault with one of the transmitters that they refuse to acknowledge.

So I have a choice of blazingly quick speeds with EE 4G (3 bar signal) but access to only some of the internet or still fast speeds with Three with it dropping out all the time and endlessly flicking between 3G and H+ (5 bar signal).

I might have to wait for Three's 4G in December and hope that fixes whatever the fault is with their local network.

have you tried keeping the connection alive (on three) ?

Open a cmd window and ping google DNS (ping 8.8.8.8 -t )

Living Awesomeness (Myself)
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.