by Laraine1 Investigator
Investigator

unable to load hotmail account on hauwei p20

hi, 

Can anyone help please?

I changed my hotmail password on my pc and then duly had to change it on my Hauwei  p20 but it wouldn't download my emails. So decided to deleted the account and then reinstall it - as that has solved the problem previously.

However, now I cant reinstall hotmail, i have tried to it manually but every which way it says unable to connect to server. I have tried the Hauwei help info on theier website but it still comes up with the same error. 

Thanks, Laraine

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: unable to load hotmail account on hauwei p20

As reading emails is the issue try all the other 3 options for Incoming Security Type.

I'm surprised that you can't see your password but just have "Signed in with MS". Is your phone logged into your MS account? If so, try logging out of it. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Laraine1 wrote:

So decided to deleted the account

From your mobile?

You don't mean you can't install the Hotmail app, do you? You've installed it but it won't read your emails?

What are the server settings you have set up in the app for your Hotmail a/c (obscuring your names)?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Laraine1 Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

i don't have the hotmail app - do i need to down load it? I didnt have to do that before?

i removed my hotmail email account off my mobile, I still have my gmail email and outlook email accounts. 

Thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, OK! No, any Mail app will read Hotmail a/c's. Which Mail app are you using?

What are the server settings you have set up in the Mail app for your Hotmail a/c (obscuring your names)?

by Laraine1 Investigator
Investigator

I've just downloaded Litemail and can now access my hotmail emails through that - as an interim measure 🙂

what i'd ideally like it to add my hotmail account back to the Hauwei email app - the one that was pre-installed on the phone  (as that's where i have my outlook and gmail accounts and I know and prefer that app).  How do i find the server settings for this please? I have looked in settings /Apps & notifications / email but it just has :

storage, data usage, permissions, notifications, open by default, battery, memory and write system settings?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Wouldn't know that Hauwei email app but look in its settings, not the phone settings. It'll be the same place where you have your Outlook.com & GMail settings.

by Laraine1 Investigator
Investigator

ahh ok 🙂 so i've tried two things:

1. went to Users & accounts > email > which shows my outlook and gmail accounts, under that it has Account settings > and there you can add an account, which didn't work - got the same error message

2. went to Users & accounts >M personal (imap) > account settings then choose my hotmail email address (as opposed to gmail/outlook), this shows:

Account name, my name, mobile signature, link acc

PlUS: Data Usage (images, sync frequency, sync email, down load attachments

PLUS: notification settings

AND: Server settings, when I click on:

Incoming Settings it shows:

username: xxx

Authentication - signed in with Microsoft

server: imap-mail.outlook.com

port 993

security type: SSL/TLS

Outgoing Settings it shows:

username: xxx

Authentication - signed in with Microsoft

server: smtp-mail.outlook.com

port 587

security type: STARTTLS

i hope this is the info you need?

by Laraine1 Investigator
Investigator

do i need to change the out going or incoming server settings, in my last reply?

thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Be back when finished shopping..

by Laraine1 Investigator
Investigator

lol, ok lovely, thank you 😉

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Are there other options, both Incoming & Outgoing for:

• Authentication?
  • Security type?

As long as you have pwd correct (same as on PC) it should work.

by Laraine1 Investigator
Investigator

Hello, so sorry for the very delayed reply - unfortunately something unexpected came up. So in answer to your question:

- under Authentication it just says 'signed in with Microsoft' with no option to change it.

- under Security Type it can be changed. Incoming and outgoing are set to SSL/TLS, but options include:

SSL/TLS (accept all certificates)

STARTTLS

STARTTLS (accept all certificates)

How can i go in an re-enter the password to ensure its correct? Previously, when i was trying to re-add the account (as i had deleted it)  it was accepting the password but i was getting the unable to connect to server message.

Many thanks

Laraine

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

As reading emails is the issue try all the other 3 options for Incoming Security Type.

I'm surprised that you can't see your password but just have "Signed in with MS". Is your phone logged into your MS account? If so, try logging out of it. 

View solution in original post

by Laraine1 Investigator
Investigator

hello,

so the weirdest thing has happened. I got a hotmail popup message to resign into the 'new' email lite app i down loaded, but i couldn't get logged in! So I decided to delete that app and I was just about to reload it, when i got a Hauwei notification saying i needed to update multiple apps. So I  did that first and then thought i'd just try re-adding my hotmail account in the old Hauwei app and it reloaded it no problems!

So i'm wondering if perhaps that was causing the server error message I was getting before?  Either way, I now have my emails all back in their rightful place (in the Hauwei email app). Thank you so much for all your help and advice - if I get a similar issue in the future I can follow your instructions to sort it out 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions