by
EE Community Manager

Who’s affected by the Orange Email closure?

[ Edited ]

Update, 1 June 2017:

This article has been updated to reflect new information about the closure of Orange Email. We’ve removed the sections which are no longer relevant.

Orange email closed on 31 May 2017, which means all Orange Email addresses no longer work.

The following email addresses have closed:

• Orange.net
  • Orangehome.co.uk
  • Wanadoo.co.uk
  • Freeserve.co.uk
  • Fsbusiness.co.uk
  • Fslife.co.uk 
  • Fsmail.net
  • Fsworld.co.uk
  • Fsnet.co.uk

If you haven’t set up an alternative email address, we strongly recommend you do this now.  

Follow our guide to switching to a new email account.

You can read more about the Orange Email closure on our dedicated Help page, or ask us a question in the comments below.

273 REPLIES
by
Contributor

Re: Who’s affected by the Orange Email closure?

OK so freeserve email addresses are discontinued, (i.e. peter@smith21.freeserve.co.uk), and we all set up a gmail account or similar. But what happens if your Orange/EE Broadband user name is something like smith21.freeserve.co.uk@fs ? Do we keep that broadband user name and associated password? Dont want my broadband to suddenly disappear ! Thanks.

by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @Collietrainer.

Is this the username for your Broadband account?

If so and you have set your Orange Email address as your preferred online login (used to reset your password), you’ll need to update it.

Change your online preferred email address >

If you’ve set your Orange Email address as the contact address for communications from us about your account (e.g. bill notifications), you’ll need to update it.

Change your contact details >

For full information and help setting up a new email address please see our Orange Email Closure help page.

Let me know if you need any further support Smiley Happy

by
Contributor

Hello, Thanks for that. I confirm that my user name for my broadband account is my email address, (all after @ symbol), and also ADSL ID for my broadband account which is set up on my wif fi modem, (similar to smith16.freeserve.co.uk). I joined years ago with Fresserve that became Wanadoo that became Orange that became EE and the user name has remained the same with each change of name appart from the addittion of @FS at end of broadband user name when moving from 5K phone modem to broadband. I go back a loooong way!

On receipt of the email about end of orange email addresses, I changed my contact address for correspondence about my account to a new gmail email address in 'Manage my account' - 'Your on line profile for internet account' under 'Personal information'  then 'Preferred email' which now reads the new gmail email address and also says verified. So that part has been updated OK. To sign into 'My account' (where I made this change), I can presently use either the old email address, (similar to smith16.freeserve.co.uk) or my new gmail personal email address with old password. So contact will be maintained with EE. However, I don't see how to change my broadband ADSL user name. Should EE not provide a new ADSL user name so the change, (both account name and ADSL), can be performed simultaneously at both ends? OR having changed preferred personal email address can I use that gmail address as ADSL user name in my modem from now on?

Thanks for your help.

by

Hello there @Collietrainer

Thanks for coming back to me.

Your broadband username won't change, you would need to update your preferred log in which you have done.

We also have a Checklist for changing your Email Address Post this may be useful for you to make sure nothing is missed Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.

by
Contributor

Hello Again,

That's great news. It was the Broadband user name I was really worried about as it still contained the old freeserve email address. I could see on 31st May my connection disappearing ...and I can't find my 5k dial up modem lol !

Thanks to you all for all your help. Busy going back over 20 years+ of log on email address changes ...sigh ;o)

by

No problem at all @Collietrainer.

Glad I could help if you need anything further please let us know Smiley Happy

Hope you have a great weekend!

by
Grand Master

@Collietrainer: Your BB Username & pwd in your router & your login to the online Member's Centre are 2 separate things altho' their names are related. Your BB Username never changes. It is just a unique string of characters to ID you to EE's BB network. You only need to change your Preferred Email Addy in your online Member's Centre so that EE may continue communicating with you and as an alternate login to your online Member's Centre. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Investigator

Well thanks EE you've just ruined my day. It's going to take me days to go through my various online accounts where I have used my orange email as my login / username. Well what do you expect from the company with consistently the worst customer satisfaction of any of the utility companies. Way to go EE. Be very proud of how you treat your loyal customers. Shameful.

Take away point. Don't buy anything from EE.

by
Grand Master

@marcodev123: Took me 3 days tops Smiley Happy. Still getting a few to the old addy I never knew I had but am catching them by filtering to their own folder.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by

Re: Leaving Orange due to email closure

Morning @marcodev123

Sorry to hear you're unhappy with the closure.

We've not offered an email service as a company to new customers since 2012, and there's been a steady decline in users over this time.

There's a lot of helpful links and support on our Email closure help pages to guide you through the change.

If you need any help let us know.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by

Have you already closed some of the Orange email accounts? I can't log in to mine and I need to save emails before the closure. I thought perhaps I was mistyping my password or something, but when I went to the 'forgotten your password' link, it said that my username wasn't recognised.

I am very concerned.

by

Re: Leaving Orange due to email closure

Thanks for coming to the Community @Spud_13 Smiley Happy

Nothing is due to close until the 31st of May.

Have you accessed your email account within the last 90 days?

It may be worth calling customer services to see if they can help with a password reset.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by
Grand Master

@Spud_13: Try resetting your pwd using the forgotten your password? on this page: https://email.orange.co.uk/ . Make sure you get the orange Orange change pwd page & not the green EE page, so it doesn't need to send you an email you can't access. Keep trying until you get the Orange page.

by

Firstly, a big thank you for doing this to your customers, many of whom have obviously supported you from the early days (freeserve, wannadoo), loyalty clearly means nothing to the fat cats at the top who want to save a few bucks by removing their e-mail services.

Both my main e-mail address (freeserve and orangehome) will disappear forever, everything I do online involves those two addresses and, in the case of freeserve, has done for over a decade. Your help page doesn't begin to cover the process required for switching things over, obviously saving a few bucks there as well. I guarantee that what money you save by removing your e-mail service you will lose tenfold in pi**ed off customers moving service and the reputation that will hang around EE like a bad smell following this decision....

Not that this message will make one iota of difference in this pathetic impersonalised cyber wasteland of a forum masquerading as a "help page" for those loyal customers who have been royally shafted.

Please don't apologise in your reply, insincere apologies are meaningless.

by
Investigator

Everyone trying to use Orange webmail that's whose affected.

Well done Orange for screwing customers yet again.

I've tried following your advice on setting up an auto reply within my (freeserve.co.uk) webmail account but it does not send any such message  (after setting it up in "set up an away message" under my settings tab). How I'm supposed to let senders know of my new email address?

by
Investigator

Great.  Just great.  Add me to the list of extremely unhappy customers.  That's roughly 20 years of Internet usage and HUNDREDS of accounts associated with this one of those domains you're axing with just a few months notice.

I would like to put forward my request for a forwarding system to be considered.  Such that any email received to the multidrop email address will be forwarded to another account for a duration of at least a year possibly two?  The cost of this is simply maintaining ownership of the domain and forwarding.  No email storage required.

My worry is that I may have to rely on a password reset for an account I have missed.

My other concern is what happens to the domains afterwards?  Will they be released so that a malicious person could register them and begin receiving any emails I missed changing?

by
Grand Master

All I can say is that all these years of only using Webmail & leaving all your personal emails on someone else's server instead of sensibly using POP3 access to store them on your own PCs has come back & bitten you in the foot.

by

Hi @gORDONP,

Welcome to the EE Community.

The away message feature should be working as described in the guide.

Have you followed the instructions in this video?

Thanks

James

by
Investigator

the video is a copy of the text I follwed in the advice give in the email informing me of closure. I've setup the away message as advised and it is saved ok. If I send a message to that email address with the setting on (using a different email address to send the message) I don't receive the away message after successful delivery of the email.

So I'm saying you can set up away messages but the auto message is not being sent.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.