by alanjux
Explorer

Which password should I use for email?

Installed BlueMail email app on my new Samsung S10 but it throws up an "incorrect username or password" error when I try to install my email account.

My tablet and home PC are both receiving my emails ok on this account, as they have always done.

I am using my "My EE" password when I try to log-into the email account and am wondering if this is what's wrong?

I'd be very grateful for some help with this, please.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by alanjux
Explorer
Solution

Re: Which password should I use for email?

Thank you for your prompt help, from which I was able to resolve the issue.

I couldn't get my head round having EE as my internet provider and still using a BT email address when I switched from BT to EE.

Your reply prompted me to realise that on my tablet and PC, nothing had changed and therefore the original BT password must still apply - and it did!

Still don't really understand why I switch from BT to EE and yet am able to continue with BT email...  Oh well, it works.

And I must just add that BlueMail appears to be a really excellent email app.

Thanks again.

5 REPLIES 5
by uvarvu Established Contributor
Established Contributor

What email provider are you using?  You might need to generate an app password from your email account settings to log in via a third party app.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@alanjux : It's v. unlikely that your email pwd is the same as your MyEE pwd unless you deliberately made it so.

It should be the same pwd as your tablet & PC are using. Take a look at the incoming server settings of the email clients you are using on them.

It has nowt to do with what Mail app you are using on your mobile. They all work the same way.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by uvarvu Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX  That's not necessarily the case.  For example with Gmail if you can't log into an email app via OAuth authentication then Google will simply say no and instruct you to generate a one-time app password instead.  You could end up generate app passwords for each device you use which is technically logging into the same email account using a different password every time.

So no, mail apps don't all work the same way.

by alanjux
Explorer
Solution

Thank you for your prompt help, from which I was able to resolve the issue.

I couldn't get my head round having EE as my internet provider and still using a BT email address when I switched from BT to EE.

Your reply prompted me to realise that on my tablet and PC, nothing had changed and therefore the original BT password must still apply - and it did!

Still don't really understand why I switch from BT to EE and yet am able to continue with BT email...  Oh well, it works.

And I must just add that BlueMail appears to be a really excellent email app.

Thanks again.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks 🙂. Glad I was able to help and it is now sorted 

You are still able to use BT email because you are now paying for it  

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.