Samsung Galaxy S8 - Get yours tomorrow
Highlighted
by
mhi Contributor
Contributor

Re: export orangehome webmail

Hi XRaySpeX

I have a similar problem with my fsnet.co.uk email address where I am trying to import mails to my new gmail.com address. I have had some success - I've imported my contacts list across to the "old" gmail contacts format, and I have followed the instructions on how to import emails several times now but all I get transfered across are any new emails to my old email address - none of my old emails are being imported.

I have followed the steps in your solution taking emails from a folder and transfering them to my fsnet inbox, setting the import instructions off, but still only get new emails received by my fsnet.co.uk

In the "check email from other accounts" my fsnet.co.uk address is showing and it says it is checking so I seem to have the correct settings or do I?

Hope you can help as I have 1000s of emails I need to keep from a works point of view.

Thanks Martin

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
Grand Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author mhi
a week ago

[ Edited ]

Well, I've done it. I don't consider it a risk nor does MS who suggest it here in Outlook cannot connect to Gmail after July 15, 2014 .GMail are just being overcautious or it's just Internet rivalry Smiley Wink. It's making GMail a bit of a walled garden. Think it's aimed at more mobile devices & has leaked out to PCs. I haven't bothered with their two-step verification and app passwords.

I'd never use Webmail when I can use a PC email client.

BTW: GMail isn't forwarding emails to WLM. It's WLM that is d/loading emails from Gmail's servers.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
28 REPLIES
by
Grand Master

[ Edited ]

@mhi wrote:

In the "Check email from other accounts" my fsnet.co.uk address is showing and it says it is checking so I seem to have the correct settings or do I?

Why you not using the "Import mail and contacts" feature of GMail as recommended by EE? Altho' I can't see they should be much different, "Check email from other accounts" is ongoing while "Import mail and contacts" is a 1-off.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
mhi Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes - I am using the "Import mail and contacts" feature of gmail as directed by EE. I fill out all the information and I get a message saying "Your messages are being imported, it may take several hours (up to 2 days)" etc etc but nothing ever comes through (I first tried it about 2 weeks ago) except newly received emails to my fsnet address.

However, when I click on the "Accounts and Imports" tab in settings on gmail, under the "check email from other accounts" line I can see that it is regularly checking my fsnet account for emails. It has added my fsnet account to that line when I set up my "import mail and contacts" feature.

Thanks Martin

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @mhi,

Have you checked all the folders in your new GMail account?

Thanks

James

by
mhi Contributor
Contributor

Hi James,

Thanks for your support. Yes I've checked my folders in my new gmail and nothing is coming through to them either.

However, I was led to believe that it wouldn't trransfer emails in folders, only from the inbox and therefore you had to take a group of emails from a folder in the old account and place them in your inbox and then import to the new account where they would appear in the inbox. Once in the new account transfer them to the same named folder. That seems to have worked for some people.

However, I am only receiving new emails to my old account which are being forwarded on to my new gmail account. This is good but I didn't specifically set that up - it seems to have resulted from me setting the import away. I've tried to "unread" old emails in my old inbox to see if it picks them up but it doesn't.

Thanks Martin

by

Hi @mhi

@James_B is in a little later on so I will pass this on to him.

Can I just confirm that the mails are moving across OK?

Cheers

Richard

Smiley Happy

by
mhi Contributor
Contributor

Hi James - no the mails are not moving across at all except for the occasional new email to my old fsnet email which seems to be forwarded on to my new gmail. (I've mananged to change my email address with most people / companies)

All my old emails either in folders or those I have transfered to my old email inbox are not moving across despite setting off the import function in gmail

Thanks Martin

by
mhi Contributor
Contributor

Sorry Richard not James

by

Hi @mhi,

I had hoped that your EMails may have ended up in one of the default GMail folders.

Just to double check, have you looked in the 'All mail' folder?

Thanks

James

by
mhi Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Just checked my All Mail folder and all the other folders in my new gmail account and none of my old fsnet emails are there.

by

Hi @mhi

Just to clarify, you have not put any sent items into your inbox?

Many thanks,

Lee

by
mhi Contributor
Contributor

Good point Lee. I have checked what I have moved into my inbox from a folder and it does contain some mails which originally were sent from me but then stored in that folder. It also contains mails which I have received but lower down in the thread of the mail contains a mail I sent - I subsequently stored this in a folder again.

My inbox also contains a couple of mails which have been received by me only but these haven't imported over either

I will empty my inbox and then move received only emails into the inbox and then try to import them and see what happens. Is that what you would suggest?

Thanks Martin

by

Hi @mhi

Please do try that and let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

by
mhi Contributor
Contributor

Hi Lee,

I set my import going again yesterday evening and have checked this morning. No emails from my old account inbox have been imported into my new gmail account.

Thanks Martin

by

Hi @mhi

This is very unusual, any ideas @XRaySpeX.

Many thanks,

Lee

by
Grand Master

I guess that if you keep repeating a Gmail Import, it would have already ticked off the existing emails in Inbox & not do them again.

by
mhi Contributor
Contributor

For the import I did last night I cleared my old inbox, transfered some fresh emails from a different folder into my inbox (none of which were sent emails) and then tried to import them to gmail but nothing came across.

Not sure what else I can try.

Thanks Martin

by
mhi Contributor
Contributor

Just to check the information I am entering into the import boxes with you please:-

I have an xx@xx.fsnet.co.uk email address

I am entering my xx@xx.fsnet.co.uk email address intothe account I want to import from

My POP user name as the bit after the @ in my email i.e xx.fsnet.co.uk

My POP server address as pop.orangehome.co.uk

The import mail box is ticked and I have added a label to identify any imported emails.

Start import. I get a message saying "Your messages are being imported, it may take several hours (up to 2 days)" etc etc 

by
Grand Master

Yes, those settings are correct and can be confirmed against those given in What Data do you Need to Transfer your Orange Emails to Another Provider? . You want the Broadband Emails column.

Did you tell it to "Leave a copy on the Server"?

Are you checking View history from time-to-time?

by
mhi Contributor
Contributor

Hi XRaySpeX,

The only one I'm not sure of in the broadband emails column is the SSL being off - where do I check that?

I haven't ticked anywhere "Leave a copy on the server" - should I?

Finally -  yes I do check the history - most of the time it says no messages retrieved, occasionally it says one or two retireved but this ties in with the new emails I receive into my fsnet account (inbox) which are then forwarded onto my gmail account.

Thank you for doing this on Good Friday

Martin

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.