by megawhite Investigator
Investigator

Re: Who’s affected by the Orange Email closure?

Hi, I asked this question previously but it was not addressed:

From a security standpoint, what is happening to the freeserve.co.uk domain when it expires on 31/7/17?  Will it become available for any crook on the planet to register and begin receiving everyone's emails where they have omitted to change the address?

If this is not handled responsibly, for example EE renewing domain registrations and sitting on them to retain control and prevent abuse, I see this being a very bad situation for all customers.  It is completely out of their control who will be able register the domains and receive all customers emails still going these legacy email accounts.

This is particularly worrying when considering how password reset mechanisms typically work, they send a reset link to the registered email address.  If a crook registers the domains, they could receive emails and know exactly what sites to go to and the email address to use in order to request a password reset and thus gain control of the account for malicious purposes (fraud, buying goods, blackmail etc).

I await your considered response on exactly how this approaching scenario will be handled.

Andrew

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Employee
Solution

Good Evening @megawhite

After the email closure EE will continue to retain the freeserve.co.uk domain.

I hope this answers your query.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

8 REPLIES 8
Investigator

P.S. freeserve.co.uk domain registration information available here for everyone to see:

https://who.is/whois/freeserve.co.uk

It's been registered since 31-Jul-1998, 19 years ago!

by
EE Employee

Hi @megawhite

I am looking into this now for you.

Soon as I have some information I will certainly pass this on.

Many thanks,

Lee

by
EE Employee

Hi @GuzizuG and welcome to the Community.

I have sent you a private message to gain some information to assist.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Why has my original post been moved out of the main topic?

Also, any response yet?

Andrew

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What's Happening to Orange's Domains After the Closure?

It's a separate issue & a v. good point. It's better & clearer to have your own thread. Your posts will be seen & acted upon wherever they are.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee
Solution

Good Evening @megawhite

After the email closure EE will continue to retain the freeserve.co.uk domain.

I hope this answers your query.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by Grand Master
Grand Master

And all the other 8 domains, I presume, @Karen_C?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

I assume that will be the case @XRaySpeX

But I will certainly double check - just to be sure!

Smiley Happy

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.