by eenightmare Contributor
Contributor

Re: Who’s affected by the Orange Email closure?

Hi there. I am really worried about this. I havent a clue about POP3s and the like. It's a different language to me. I genuinely dont know what to do. I am housebound. My 'Freeserve' email address has been my lifeline for about 15 years. Do I need to change my email address and then tell everybody one by one? Is GMail safe? Why would EE recommend them? If I phone someone at EE will they talk me through what to do?

Thank you

24 REPLIES 24
by
EE Community Support Team

Good afternoon @eenightmare

Thank you for coming to see us in the community for advice Smiley Happy

Firstly, please try not to worry, we will do absolutely everything we can to help and support the move to a new email provider.

We've created things like Email closure: Our guide to switching email accounts and A checklist for changing your email account  post to help.

You are not alone when it comes to the technical side of things and we have a variety of posts and our  you can read more about the Orange Email closure on our dedicated Help page

Please have a look at the posts and any support you need, the community is here to try and help.

Richard

Smiley Happy

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@eenightmare: How do you read your Freeserve emails? Do you have a program on your PC (called an email client like Outlook) or do you view them in Webmail by going thro' an Internet Browser, like Internet Explorer?

You could tell your contacts of your new email addy by a single email addressed to all of them. However, remember, if you are registered on any Websites with your Freeserve email addy, you can't just email them. You'll need to login to your a/c at their site & change your email addy under your Personal Details or suchlike.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

Hi there. Thank you for caring. You seem like a knight in shining armour on this site.

I have a PC at home where I launch emails no problem and have all the functions. When using any other computer/laptop/mobile I go in via the Orange web log in.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@eenightmare: If you are using an email client on your PC you are already using POP3 & all the emails on your PC stay on your PC even after the closure.

You will need to add your chosen new email addy to it as a new a/c.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

Thank you sir - Sorry to sound very daft, but how exactly do I add my new addy to that?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Replacing Freeserve Email on PC

@eenightmare: What email client are you using on your PC? It's usually something like "Add a new POP3 a/c".

I've separated this out into your own thread for clarity.

Contributor

Re: Replacing Freeserve Email on PC

Not sure I get this. Sorry.

when i look at

@+

I get the page for

'add you email accounts'

Windows email, I believe. ?

I now have a GMail addy.

Thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@eenightmare wrote:

when i look at

@+

When you look at what? What are you clicking on your PC to get to your emails?

Contributor

Windows Live Mail

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
by Grand Master
Grand Master

In WLM go to Accounts / Email & Add it.

Contributor

‘In WLM go to Accounts / Email & Add it’.

Hi – I have done that. However ...

After 3 or 4 seconds I get, “The server has rejected your login. Please verify username and password are correct”.

So I try another few times with the same result.

I know the GMail details are correct as I’ve not long set them up!

Frustrating innit.

Tony

---
by
EE Employee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Are you using the settings given in GMail POP3 Configuration instructions ? In  particular have you set up POP3 in GMail itself (Step 2)?

Contributor

Yes – am trying to follow GMail POP3 Instructions. I seem to be on IMAP.

I have added my new GMail addy to WLM.

However, I simply cant see the GMail logo to open it. Hence I cant see ‘Settings’ to continue...

---
by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's up to you whether you use POP3 or IMAP. They can both work from WLM.

@eenightmare wrote:
However, I simply cant see the GMail logo to open it. Hence I cant see ‘Settings’ to continue...

Can't see it where? You won't see it in WLM. You need to go to your GMail Webmail & click on the cog.

Contributor

I seem to be going round in circles:

My new GMail only appears on the left hand side of my screen of WLM.
When I click on it I get “WLM needs to download the folders before you can read the messages in this account. To download the folders click Download”.
I then click the Download tab and I get, “The server has rejected your log in. Verify your Username and Password are correct”.

They are correct as far as i can tell!

Log on GMail
Server imap.gmail.com

Thank you

---
by Grand Master
Grand Master

That's cuz you are looking in WLM when I told you to go to GMail Webmail, not your GMail a/c within WLM.

What you are seeing are your GMail IMAP folders in WLM. It's a whole structure & needs to d/loaded from GMail but I doubt you have set up GMail to accept it.

You need to decide whether you want to be using IMAP or POP3 in WLM:

• IMAP: WLM is a mirror image of all the folders in your GMail mailbox on the GMail server. When a new email appears in GMail it then also appears in WLM. When you delete an email in 1 place it's deleted from the other. All messages are synced in real time. To use IMAP configure WLM using the settings given in GMail IMAP Configuration instructions . 
  • POP3: WLM only reads emails in the GMail Inbox on the GMail server. When a new email appears in GMail it also appears in WLM soon after. POP3 is useful if you want to make your PC your main repository of emails & you're not interested in GMail's other folders. Any foldering you do yourself in WLM. You can use any other devices, like mobiles, just to read new emails before you see them on your PC. POP3 was what you were using with Orange email in WLM before. To use POP3 configure WLM using the settings given in GMail POP3 Configuration instructions .

In both those instructions there is a link Gmail to get you to GMail Webmail to do the initial set-up step.

Contributor

Jeez.

Thanks. Time for a large brandy. I’ll take a look tomorrow!

So basically I need to download the whole GMail thing to my PC from somewhere?

---
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sorry, what "whole GMail thing"? You just set it up, like you did for Freeserve in the past, by following those GMail instructions. It auto d/loads your emails once you've done that.

GMail is a mail server out there & you're using WLM to read it.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.