iPhone X
    Order now
x
Highlighted
by melonee Investigator
Investigator

Re: Orange Email closure 31st May 2017: Help and advice

Help! Dispite several fruitless phone calls to your help line I still have 800 emails which I cannot transfer to Gmail. These were in folders other than the inbox. I decided to transfer my inbox to one account then transfer the rest to a second gmail account having moved them into the now empty inbox. (Having heard that there ws an issue with trying to transfer in the same way to a single gmail account). Any new mail is transferring ok to Gmail - Just not the old bunch that I moved to the inbox.

Time is ticking away and unless I have some serious commitment from ee staff I will lose my information. 

Everytime I have spoken to a rep I have recieved a different answer, none of which have worked. The only thing I haven't tried is to transfer to Hotmail and then to Gmail. The reason for this is that one rep muttered something about 'mirroring' and that I might lose my transferred emails? Also I would need some support as it seems the hotmail transfer uses Outlook which seems a complicated way of doing it and "EE doesn't offer support the transfer to Hotmail."

I am beginning to wonder whether the issue is to do with the fact the emails in question were addressed to an alias rather than the main account?

Seriously fed up and need help please.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Profile closed
N/A
Solution

Hello @melonee you may need to set the account up using the alias instead of your Orange username that is usually advised. I have this problem with using an alias as well - POP3 will only fetch emails sent to it if I use it as my POP3 username. Try these settings instead:

Incoming POP3 Mail Server: pop.orangehome.co.uk

POP3 Username: example@orangehome.co.uk

POP3 Password: Webmail password

POP3 Server Port: 110

Use SSL: No

If they still do not work try changing the password using this link:

https://web.orange.co.uk/id/profilemanagement.php

Then logging out and logging back in to webmail:

http://email.orange.co.uk

Send a test email or two then wait a little while and try again later.

Smiley Happy

10 REPLIES
by
EE Employee

Good Evening @melonee

Thanks for coming to the Community! Smiley Happy

Are any of the items within the folders sent items?

If so this will stop them from being transferred over to the Gmail account.

Are all the emails that won't transfer addressed to an alias address?

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Transferring Folders to GMail

@melonee:

1. You need to move the contents of other Folders to Orange Inbox before you can Import them to GMail. The best procedure to is follow is something like this:

1.Move aside the contents of Inbox, if any left, to some other folder.
2.Move the contents of the other folder to Inbox.
3.Perform a GMail Import on the current Inbox.
4.Move the contents of Inbox, if any left, back to original folder.
5.Repeat 2-4 for all the folders you want.
6.Move the contents of what was the Inbox in 1, if any, back to Inbox.

If you need to forward individual sent msgs, that can be done from any folder, not just Inbox.

2. The 'mirroring' they are talking about must be using IMAP instead of POP3. With IMAP the whole Orange folder structure , incl. sent items, is mirrored in the a/c you are transferring to, so you don't have to bother with the above moving folders around. Outlook.com supports IMAP; GMail Import doesn't. Hotmail is now Outlook.com, not to be confused with the Outlook mail client on your PC.

See A work-around if you're having problems importing to gmail for details of this technique.

3. Which alias? Do you mean 1 of the 4 limited aliases you are allowed with Orange Webmail or 1 of the unlimited email addys you can construct from your a/c's base email addy? What does it look like exactly, obscuring your names with '*'s?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by Profile closed
N/A
Solution

Hello @melonee you may need to set the account up using the alias instead of your Orange username that is usually advised. I have this problem with using an alias as well - POP3 will only fetch emails sent to it if I use it as my POP3 username. Try these settings instead:

Incoming POP3 Mail Server: pop.orangehome.co.uk

POP3 Username: example@orangehome.co.uk

POP3 Password: Webmail password

POP3 Server Port: 110

Use SSL: No

If they still do not work try changing the password using this link:

https://web.orange.co.uk/id/profilemanagement.php

Then logging out and logging back in to webmail:

http://email.orange.co.uk

Send a test email or two then wait a little while and try again later.

Smiley Happy

by melonee Investigator
Investigator

Re: Transferring Folders to GMail

Thanks for the reply. I did the 'inbox' shuffle' but once it took the *@*.freeserve.co.uk emails it wouldn't take the one which were aliases ie. *@*.orangehome.co.uk when I put them in inbox. Sounds like I need Tom222's solution. Will give that a go. :-)

by melonee Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the reply. Can I just clarify - when you say :

Are any of the items within the folders sent items?

If so this will stop them from being transferred over to the Gmail account.

Do you mean that only the sent mail items won't transfer or that their presence will prevent the contents of the inbox from transferring?

Thanks,

Mel

by melonee Investigator
Investigator

Sounds like a plan. I am going to give this a go. :-)

Thanks,

Mel

by Profile closed
N/A

Hello @melonee sent items can not be seen or imported via POP3 but they can via IMAP4. Gmail does not support IMAP4 importing only Outlook/outlook.com.

Having sent items in your inbox should not stop any other emails importing - but it has been known to cause problems for some users who fixed it by moving them back out.

Let us know how you get on trying it with the alias instead of your username. Smiley Happy

by melonee Investigator
Investigator

Thanks Tom222 - you cracked it! I finally have all my emails :-)

by Profile closed
N/A

You are welcome @melonee come back to the community anytime if there is anything else you would like to know. Smiley Happy 

by
EE Employee

Great news @melonee

Thanks for popping back to let us know.

Enjoy your evening!

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.