by 1oldgit Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fsmail importing email issues

Hi-I have a freeserve address.I have opened a gmail a/c & tried to import contacts without success.

I know that I am entering my email address & password  correctly.

Pop server is  pop.orangehome.co.uk

The" home username" I was given by orange many years ago is 

myname.freeserve.co.uk@fs    Is this what I should enter as my pop username?

( I have replaced my personal details with "my name").

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

POP Username for Freeserve.co.uk

@1oldgit wrote:

The" home username" I was given by orange many years ago is myname.freeserve.co.uk@fs  

No, that's your Broadband Username in your router. It's related to your email but not exactly what you are after.

Your email addy is "you@myname.freeserve.co.uk".

Your POP Username is "myname.freeserve.co.uk".

@James_B: This is a Freeserve addy, not FSMail.net. So not the whole email addy.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
33 REPLIES 33
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @1oldgit,

Welcome to the EE Community.

You just need to use your full email address for your POP username rather than your 'home username'.

If you are still having issues after setting it up as per @Karen_C's instructions above, please try changing your password before trying to import your Emails again.

Hope this helps.

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

POP Username for Freeserve.co.uk

@1oldgit wrote:

The" home username" I was given by orange many years ago is myname.freeserve.co.uk@fs  

No, that's your Broadband Username in your router. It's related to your email but not exactly what you are after.

Your email addy is "you@myname.freeserve.co.uk".

Your POP Username is "myname.freeserve.co.uk".

@James_B: This is a Freeserve addy, not FSMail.net. So not the whole email addy.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for the correction @XRaySpeX Smiley Happy

by 1oldgit Contributor
Contributor

James -Emails now  imported without having to change password.Thank you.

Was hoping that my Contacts which are in Windows Live Mail 2012 would also be transferred but this didn't happen.

Should I post this as a separate thread?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

GMail can't copy anything out of your PC mail client, WLM. It's only for collecting emails from other email servers. Any stuff in WLM stays on your PC.

You will need to put your WLM contacts manually into GMail if you want to. But do you need to? If you only send emails from WLM, that's where you need your contacts.

In fact did you need to import your emails into GMail at all? If you already have all your wanted emails in WLM you don't need them in GMail.

Really you only need your emails & contacts on GMail if you are only using GMail Webmail, not if you are using WLM.

by 1oldgit Contributor
Contributor

Thanks XRay Spex.

When I was searching on Google I came across two articles which suggested that WLM was being "killed-off".

I would then be using only Gmail so I am planning ahead.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

WLM has been killed off in the sense that it is no longer being updated. However I am quite happy with it & am using 2 versions on 2 diff PCs & shall continue to do so.

If you really need to be up-to-date you could always install free Mozilla Thunderbird or paid-for MS Outlook.

I'd always prefer any mail client over anybody's Webmail.

by 1oldgit Contributor
Contributor

Thanks XraySpecs.I have good reasons for going along the webmail route.

Should anyone else wish to export contacts from WLM & import them into gmail I found this helpful :
http://www.worldstart.com/how-to-export-windows-live-mail-contacts-and-import-them-into-gmail/

You may be prompted to go to an earlier version of gmail but a clickable link is provided.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
by
EE Employee

Thanks for sharing @1oldgit

by
EE Employee

Thanks surprise.png

Hi @1oldgit

Thank you for sharing what you found with the EE Community! Smiley Happy

As a thank you I'd love to treat you to dinner on us!

I’m going to send you a Private Message to get some details.

Keep up the great work – it’s the people here who make this community a great place to be – and enjoy your meal out!

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Very Happy

by SB2000

Hi All

Anyone tried to inport into mail.com, Ive been trying to import mail from my old fsmail.net account to my new my.name@mail.com account but I seem to be getting the same error message:

Please check the e-mail address and password or the security settings of the third party account.

The login details I'm using are as follows:

Email: my.name@fsmail.net

Password: ***********

Server: pop.orangehome.co.uk   I've also tried pop.fsmail.net

Port: 110

Username: my.name@fsmail.net

Any help and support in assisting me to import my old emails will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

SB2000

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@SB2000: Try changing your password in Orange Webmail. That has worked for other FSMail.net users who couldn't get Import to work 1st time.

by Ratsoft58 Contributor
Contributor

I'm also stuck at the same stage, it is not accepting my details and "returning please check your emails address and password and security settings". I've updated my webmail password and that works fine, so I can only imagine that it is the security settings, the server pop.orangehome.co,.uk is refusing my connection. I did this all fine for my wife's email account, but she had never had her account locked, so it must be something to do with the unlocking process, and that is at the EE end.

Ray

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Ratsoft58: Please read What Data do you Need to Transfer your Orange Emails to Another Provider? and check your settings against those given there. You want the @FSMail.net column.

by Ratsoft58 Contributor
Contributor

Ive tried all those settings and it refuses to work.from either Gmail or mail.com, it worked fine when I did it for my wife's fsmail.net email account, but she had not been locked.

by
EE Employee

Hi @Ratsoft58

I have read posts from numerous users on the forums that a couple of password changes did make the importing work in the end.

@Profile closed I am sure you have mentioned this previously.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @Ratsoft58 @Lee_H yes I got it working by following these steps precisely:

http://fsmail.orange.co.uk

Log out and log back in, send a test email or two then wait a little while and try setting up the Gmail import from scratch again later (couple of hours or so).

If that does not work can you try setting up the account using the mail app or program on your phone or PC? This will confirm if the fault is with Fsmail or Gmail. Let me know how you get on or if you need help setting it up using your mobile/PC, let me know which device you are using. 🙂

by
EE Employee

Cheers @Profile closed

Many thanks,

Lee

by Ratsoft58 Contributor
Contributor

I've chnaged my password for my fsmail account yet again, and i'll wait for a few hours before it give it another go. I'm convinced that this is related to the account lock issue, and maybe my account has not fully been unlocked, which means that emails work but the pop side does not. It took them 3 unlock attempts before I could actually log in today. Ray

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.