by eamon1 Investigator
Investigator

Problems sending email over 4g

Hi - I've been having this problem for a while. When sending emails using WiFi, I can send the emails fine, but when I'm out and about there is a problem where emails don't send. Once I get back to WiFi the emails (which have been sat in my outbox) get sent successfully.

I have a third-party email address (not ee) so I contacted them for help, and they said it is probably because the IP address my phone is using on 4g is on a blacklist.

I tested this, and indeed, when I have this problem, it turns out the IP address my phone is using is showing up on an email blacklist. (IP found by visiting whatsmyip.org)

If I turn on airplane mode, then turn it off again, I get connected to a different IP address. This *sometimes* means I can send emails, but very often that IP is also on a blacklist. 

Is there anything I can do about this? It's become a real problem as it seems recently that more IPs are blacklisted than are clear!

15 REPLIES 15
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Problems sending email over 4g

Who is your email provider?

What are your email Outgoing (SMTP) server's settings you have set up in your Mail app? 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by eamon1 Investigator
Investigator

image1 copy.pngSMTP settings for email addressScreen Shot 2019-12-09 at 15.52.42.jpgIP address blacklisting evidence

by eamon1 Investigator
Investigator

I don't think it's the SMTP settings, but I have screen grabbed the basics for you. Obviously I'm not sharing the username and password, but this all works fine when I'm connected to WiFi. 

I've also included a screen grab of the IP address my phone connected to using 4g, and the fact that it is on an email blacklist.

Not sure if I need to do anything to include the screen grabs in my post - they are showing as yellow triangles at the moment (does someone need to authorise them?)

My email provider is ICUK

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, your pix needed approving. I have now done so. They should appear soon.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

You're right! It's not an SMTP issue but a blacklist. It's not unusual to find your IP on some blacklist out of many but Spamhaus is a principal 1. Some user in the past was being naughty when they had that IP. All you can do is keep rebooting until you get a new IP.

by eamon1 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks XRaySpeX

The problem is I keep reconnecting, getting a different IP address, and it turns out that one is also blacklisted.

I mean, is switching off and on again really the only solution? This particular IP (shown in the screen grab) was on more than one blacklist. It was the third reconnect I'd done and each one came up as on one blacklist or another. 

If I find an IP that works, will my phone stick to that address, or (as I suspect) will it keep getting a different IP address as I move around the country?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

That IP is only on 2 alleged  blacklists at this time. My fixed BB IP is only on 1 (not Spamhaus) but does not prevent me sending emails. Those blacklist checkers are not definitive, They work by connecting to a whole list of blacklists & awaiting a time-out. Any one of them could be down or busy & that would be interpreted as a blacklist against that IP.

Every time your phone connects to the mobile network is potentially a fresh IP.

by eamon1 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks again XRaySpeX

If every time my phone connects to the mobile network it is getting a fresh IP address, then my experience is that nearly all of the IP addresses EE are supplying to me are blacklisted.

Is there nothing else I can do other than turn my phone off and on until I stumble across an IP address which isn't blocked?

I can't be the only one experiencing this!!

by eamon1 Investigator
Investigator

They work by connecting to a whole list of blacklists & awaiting a time-out. Any one of them could be down or busy & that would be interpreted as a blacklist against that IP.

I think on the MXToolbox site they identify blacklists which don't respond with a "timeout" status

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 12.14.23.jpg

by Grand Master
Grand Master

There are no blacklists in the above results. They are nearly all OK.

See what WhatsMyIP Blacklist Check says.

by eamon1 Investigator
Investigator

Hi XRaySpeX,

The screen grab I sent was only a portion of the list; my computer screen won't show all the list at one time. I was only trying to demonstrate that a timeout doesn't necessarily mean a "fail", and my email providers believe the failures are the reason I cannot send emails using 4g

Here is the full list as of today (Sunday 15th December 2019) - that same IP address is still listed on two blacklists.

If there's no way to report this situation to EE and get the IP addresses removed from the blacklist(s), I think my only remaining option is to change my supplier to someone else.

Restarting the phone every time I want to send an email when I'm not in my house isn't really a fix I can see myself living with.

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 16.51.34.jpgScreen Shot 2019-12-15 at 16.51.58.jpgScreen Shot 2019-12-15 at 16.52.09.jpgScreen Shot 2019-12-15 at 16.52.19.jpgScreen Shot 2019-12-15 at 16.52.29.jpg

by Grand Master
Grand Master

My IP is now also on the Spamhaus.ZEN blacklist according to that ToolBox Checker but not on WhatsMyIP Blacklist Check list. That doesn't prevent me sending emails from my IP. What do you get at WhatsMyIP Blacklist Check  ?

by eamon1 Investigator
Investigator

OK - I've checked whatismyipaddress.com's blacklist and it doesn't check at least two of the lists my IP was appearing on (Rats and Spamhaus) but it does list as appearing on the dnsbl.spfbl.net blacklist.

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 15.18.06.jpg

I'm not sure what this information tells us, other than there are some Blacklist checkers which don't check all the blacklists (!)

If my hosting provider doesn't allow me to send an email from an IP address which is on a blacklist, and my phone provider keeps serving up IP addresses which are blacklisted, then I think there are only two options open to me: change hosting provider or change phone provider. Because of the way my hosting is set up, I believe that moving away from EE is going to be my way forward. I am speaking to a few people to work out which network to choose, and currently I'm leaning towards GiffGaff (mainly because a friend with a similar setup to me used to have this problem with EE and doesn't have it since he moved to GiffGaff)

Of course, there's no guarantee that the new provider will be any more reliable but I can't just sit here and wait just in case EE come up with a fix.

Thanks for your efforts XRaySpeX, but I think we'll have to give up on this one. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Mine's the same now but at least Zen.Spamhaus has gone.

Is this still actually preventing you sending emails over the EE network?

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance.

Highlighted
by sfh3l

Guys I have exactly the same issues as those you describe, with Spamhaus PBL being the list in question.  It first happened in early December and I logged in directly to Spamhaus and went through its "remove my IP" routine, which worked, by the way.  I had to repeat it a week or so later and no problems after that, till today.

I spoke with EE, not very helpfully today as they droned on about emptying caches and cookies and swapping browsers, despite my definitively saying I was using MacMail as my email client.  Eventually, EE has now said that it has done something to loosen my content filter and that they think that will sort it.  I doubt that very much as that sounds more to me like a restriction on what comes in, not what is going out.....

As if to confirm this (and the fact that I know more about this than they do), when I hotspot my MacBook to my iPhone (which uses a Plusnet SIM) the emails all go through fine, but swap back to my 4G router and it all fouls up again...

It would appear that someone who uses 4G with EE has been sending out spam of some description and has been reported sufficiently to get the server IP blocklisted with Spamhaus, but nobody at EE really seems to be much bothered about that.

My problem is that we have non-existent landline broadband and I run my entire home and business through an EE 4G connection, so it is kind of critical to me that my email gets out.

I will leave it the 24 hours that EE has asked me to for the content filter thing to take effect and I fully expect that I shall be back onto them when that doesn't work!  Any other ideas from the wider community as to how to sort this would be gratefully received though.

Thanks and best wishes.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions